[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

QB #8

DMD

Name that QB  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the 8th best QB in a year of 7 good ones?

• CHI Jay Cutler
    • ATL Matt Ryan
    • WAS Donovan McNabb
    • BAL Joe Flacco
    • PHI Kevin Kolb
    • NYG Eli Manning

What were Kolb's stats while Don was out?

Carolina - 7/11, 23 yds, 0 TDs, 67.6 passer rating

New Orleans - 31/51, 359 yds, 2 TDs, 3 INTs, 73.2 passer rating

KC - 24/34, 327 yds, 2 TDs, 120.6 passer rating

Doesn't tell a whole lot. They beat a bad KC team and got blown out by the Saints. Also keep in mind he won't have Jamaal Jackson helping him out at the start of the season either.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Manning is the safe pick, while some others have more upside potential, Manning I believe will improve on last year's numbers with a D that is not as good as it was and a young WR corp that should improve.

Kolb and McNabb are gambles. So is Cutler, but he could really blow up... or bust under Martz. C Palmer should be on the list, but he would not be my choice. I also have to wonder about Sanchez, given the WR's he has after week 4.

are you saying that you'd take him before everyone else on that list?

Well no. What I'm saying is that Henne could be a top 10 QB this year and can be had very late in drafts. Hence the "late round value" comment.

I think you can pretty much throw the dice and anyone of those QB's could finish #8-#10 easily. Henne could also fall into that category alot cheaper than those listed.

i am a reid fan and eagles fan but outside of McNabb what QBs has Reid put his fingerprint on? And don't give me Favre. With all that said I like Palmer but Kolb may have a learning curve but that curve will entail throwing the ball...a bunch.

the system has always had a QB step in and produce whether it be Feeley, Garcia, Kolb or Koy Detmer...

and yeah I think Kolb should be leading this list based on the system and weapons he has....plus the defense isn't all that great right now in Philly so he'll have plenty of chances to chuck the football...

Am I an idiot for wondering why everyone loves Martz so much? He did great with one of the most talented O's ever but since he's done nothing. Chicago's O is closer to SF's then the Rams IMO.

While not a TD throwing machine, Jon Kitna had back to back 4K passing yards in Martz's 2 seasons as offensive coordinator in Detroit. I'd say the ceiling is higher for Cutler. I also remember that Bulger guy being a pretty decent QB under Martz.

While not a TD throwing machine, Jon Kitna had back to back 4K passing yards in Martz's 2 seasons as offensive coordinator in Detroit. I'd say the ceiling is higher for Cutler. I also remember that Bulger guy being a pretty decent QB under Martz.

Lions also played in a dome...as did the Rams and the 49ers played in a decent climate....

Chicago is a completely different scenario...the only player who stands to really step up is Forte due to his pass catching skills...but that's if Cutler feels like throwing it to the checkdown receiver instead of throwing a 40+yd pass every time he drops back...

Lions also played in a dome...as did the Rams and the 49ers played in a decent climate....

Chicago is a completely different scenario...the only player who stands to really step up is Forte due to his pass catching skills...but that's if Cutler feels like throwing it to the checkdown receiver instead of throwing a 40+yd pass every time he drops back...

Guys like Mike Furrey became #2 WRs under Martz in PPR formats, the Bears WR's can improve greatly on last years numbers. Yes weather is a concern, but how many games does that effect a year if you end up rolling out Cutler as a #1 QB (granted most likely in the FF playoffs)?

is the lack of Favre talk only because we don't know if he's coming back? if we assume he is, would he be considered the #8?

2009: 9th in yds, 2nd in tds, 8th in attempts, 4th in completions, and only 7 int's

I think it has to do more with "If we mention his name, will we open a can of worms

countdown until this thread is all about Favre.

the system has always had a QB step in and produce whether it be Feeley, Garcia, Kolb or Koy Detmer...

and yeah I think Kolb should be leading this list based on the system and weapons he has....plus the defense isn't all that great right now in Philly so he'll have plenty of chances to chuck the football...

fair enough.

Guys like Mike Furrey became #2 WRs under Martz in PPR formats, the Bears WR's can improve greatly on last years numbers. Yes weather is a concern, but how many games does that effect a year if you end up rolling out Cutler as a #1 QB (granted most likely in the FF playoffs)?

Cutler's decision making plays a hugh factor here....I'm not sold on it in this Bears offense no matter who is the OC...

Geez. Enough with the wind affecting Cutler already. Where exactly do you guys get you opinions from?

link to CHI wind speed hsitorical observed data

September

WIND (MPH)

AVERAGE WIND SPEED 6.5

October

WIND (MPH)

AVERAGE WIND SPEED 9.3

November

WIND (MPH)

AVERAGE WIND SPEED 8.7

December

WIND (MPH)

AVERAGE WIND SPEED 9.9

Orton averaged 214 ypg passing in his home starts in CHI in 2008. That pro-rates to a 3400+ yd season. If a QB with a noodle arm like Orton can pass at home in those "ferocious" winds with that kind of success, how does anyone figure that winds averaging less than 10 mph is going to significantly affect Cutler?

? Who's saying anything about the wind? Bad weather (ie generally) is the point. But I agree that factor tends to be overblown.

While not a TD throwing machine, Jon Kitna had back to back 4K passing yards in Martz's 2 seasons as offensive coordinator in Detroit.

Kitna also coughed it up a lot. Sound familiar?

I just don't trust Martz OR Cutler and see a fairly low ceiling to boot. No thanks.

OK back to Favre

Geez. Enough with the wind affecting Cutler already. Where exactly do you guys get you opinions from?

link to CHI wind speed historical observed data

Orton averaged 214 ypg passing in his home starts in CHI in 2008. That pro-rates to a 3400+ yd season. If a QB with a noodle arm like Orton can pass at home in those "ferocious" winds with that kind of success, how does anyone figure that winds averaging less than 10 mph is going to significantly affect Cutler?

This happens pretty much any time CHI is discussed. I'd just have to guess that many still think The Windy City was actually named after it's wind characteristics. :wacko: (which is kind of funny considering how many people talk politics constantly in The Tailgate) I've been to Colorado enough times that I'm pretty sure that wasn't a dome with perfect weather that Cutler was playing in. Anyway, I'm a little surprised to see all the love that Cutler is getting. While I agree he could have a high ceiling (Cutler > Kitna IMO). I've been pretty well hounded around here anytime I tried to disagree with the "Cutler is garbage" crowd. I hope they do well in Chicago this year but I'm not ready to take him over some of the others up there.

Gut feeling (without really getting into #s), I like them in this order (although I voted for Flacco initially so I'm far from certain)

Ryan

Flacco

Kolb

Cutler

Eli

McNabb

Kitna also coughed it up a lot. Sound familiar?

Kitna always coughed it up. How much does your league penalize for INT's? The significant increase in passing yards Kitna had under Martz should have more than made up for INTs and fumbles pre vs post......

I'm not trying to argue that Martz is a great NFL coordinator, but his style of play calling has generally always improved the fantasy value of QBs and WRs, while more or less minimizing the running game and the TE (of course I think they might be forced to lineup Olsen as a WR with his ability).

Kitna always coughed it up.
So has Cutler. (except 08)

I'm not trying to argue that Martz is a great NFL coordinator, but his style of play calling has generally always improved the fantasy value of QBs and WRs, while more or less minimizing the running game and the TE (of course I think they might be forced to lineup Olsen as a WR with his ability).
Well it'd be hard for Cutler to do much worse than last year, so I don't know that that'd necessarily be a feather in Martz' cap. And the TE thing would concern me too; someone will draft Olsen before me. PS no way does he play WR.

Who knows, I just see Martz having as much chance of screwing things up as helping.

Let's assume Cutler's rocket arm cancels out any weather concerns (week 16 against Minny last year he was dominate).

Personally I look at fantasy playoff weeks(14-16)/good matchups down the stretch to break ties between evenly ranked players. Dome game are an added plus.

Looking at my favorites to rank 8th:

Favre: NYG, CHI, @Phi

Ryan: @Car, @Sea, NO

Cutler: NE, @minny, NYJ

Flacco: @Hou, NO, @Cle

I'd say Flacco and Favre have more favorable playoff matchups. Favre was sick at home last year. Ryan's schedule looks tougher and Cutler's is brutal.

Things could change quickly, but my vote goes to Flacco for now.

Kitna always coughed it up. How much does your league penalize for INT's? The significant increase in passing yards Kitna had under Martz should have more than made up for INTs and fumbles pre vs post......

I was hurt by Kitna under Martz because my main league penalizes -2/int but also -1/sack. Obviously he still outperformed his previous year, but he did not outperform expectations for that year.

I was hurt by Kitna under Martz because my main league penalizes -2/int but also -1/sack. Obviously he still outperformed his previous year, but he did not outperform expectations for that year.

Maybe having expectations for Kitna was a problem? :wacko: