[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

S&P 1500 - Dow 15k

Brentastic

the market is doing well despite the high unemployment rate, despite the debt that the country is in and how weak the dollar is considering how well commodities have done recently...

I've seen this BS before, what makes you think this is legit other than increased spending (which is not the answer by the way)..

nobody is answering my posts, but all I do is respond to yours...

when I hit Atomic with a logical post, his brain went haywire....are you doing the same thing?...I bring facts to support my "conspiracy theory" :wacko: and I get ridicule by the people jumping for joy and don't even know why they are jumping...

The only thing I know, is that the people who have convinced themselves they know everything, don't know near as much as they think they do.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the market is doing well despite the high unemployment rate, despite the debt that the country is in and how weak the dollar is considering how well commodities have done recently...

I've seen this BS before, what makes you think this is legit other than increased spending (which is not the answer by the way)..

nobody is answering my posts, but all I do is respond to yours...

when I hit Atomic with a logical post, his brain went haywire....are you doing the same thing?...I bring facts to support my "conspiracy theory" :wacko: and I get ridicule by the people jumping for joy and don't even know why they are jumping...

You should stop wasting your energy on these people. I finally have. When the bottom does fall out the same people will still find ways to say you're wrong or claim why the situation then is different. Everyone here at the huddle is already so smart, how dare you attempt to teach them anything, they already know it all. :tup:

You should stop wasting your energy on these people. I finally have. When the bottom does fall out the same people will still find ways to say you're wrong or claim why the situation then is different. Everyone here at the huddle is already so smart, how dare you attempt to teach them anything, they already know it all. :wacko:

Get over yourself.

You should stop wasting your energy on these people. I finally have. When the bottom does fall out the same people will still find ways to say you're wrong or claim why the situation then is different. Everyone here at the huddle is already so smart, how dare you attempt to teach them anything, they already know it all. :wacko:

Actually, I have some questions with regard to Duchess' thread about calculating the amount of pressure in the vessels that he is talking about and am curious if someone can actually perfrom the computations to determine at what rate the cap came flying off. If you could help to solve this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

It is the "Math Geek" one.

You and Avernuts are clearly victims, in this particular instance.

Anyone remember the volleyball scene in Top Gun where they had to lower the net so Tom Cruise's shirtless sweaty self could appear to spike the ball in a downward motion while not allowing Iceman and his wingman to even attempt to block? Of course, no one should have been playing volleyball knowing Goose was going to die in the next scene. Yeah, our economy is sort of like that. Propped up artificially to look good and about ready to hit it's head on the canopy while ejecting from the plane that just flew through the Chinese jetwash. Crash and burn.

Anyone remember the volleyball scene in Top Gun where they had to lower the net so Tom Cruise's shirtless sweaty self could appear to spike the ball in a downward motion while not allowing Iceman and his wingman to even attempt to block? Of course, no one should have been playing volleyball knowing Goose was going to die in the next scene. Yeah, our economy is sort of like that. Propped up artificially to look good and about ready to hit it's head on the canopy while ejecting from the plane that just flew through the Chinese jetwash. Crash and burn.

Timmay, you use your fingers better than a $20 wh0re

Tim, this is all well and good, but I think you have omitted an important bit of information from your analysis. Namely, could you please provide the proper analogy for the fact that Kelly McGillis recently married her longtime girlfriend?

Tim, this is all well and good, but I think you have omitted an important bit of information from your analysis. Namely, could you please provide the proper analogy for the fact that Kelly McGillis recently married her longtime girlfriend?

Clearly Reaganomics would've worked and we'd all be living in Utopia if not for the lesbians messing everything up.

Iceman wasn't Chinese.

Keep the negativity coming! Some have made killing last quarter while the general public remained on the sidelines for fear of a double-dip. Whenever the masses move in one direction market psychology can turn on a dime....you don't want to have all your eggs in one basket

I've seen a number of posts here...some good and some far fetched, but those who preach diversification are on point. We're obviously in for a period of slow growth in the capital markets as consumers continue to delever and as fiscal and monetary stimulus wanes (less the obvious QE2 down the road), but no one should be putting much faith in bonds either. One more surge in bonds will most likely give way to a period of very low real returns, and being defensive keeping your duration short means you're yielding next to nothing. Given that neither asset class is all that attractive (unless of course you need the income) you can't go wrong focusing on emerging markets debt and equities, hard assets, MLPs, and alternative assets - in addition to traditional fixed income and equity assets. All should act to increase your risk adjusted returns in a low return/yield environment.

Here's to the market sustaining it's latest momentum.... looks like it might be time to take a little off the table though if you're a short-term investor or very risk averse.

Edited by joeyb7

• 2 months later...
Don't be surprised if by training camp, the DOW is hovering around 6,000.

I could easily see the DOW to 6,000 sometime this year, possibly by the end of summer.

I still think the DOW will hit 5,000 this year but I never claimed it would go straight down without any pullbacks

Also, let's be accurate here, I've never once predicted the DOW would hit 5,000 by now.

So as I was saying yesterday, although it appears that wave 3 has started, it will only be confirmed when the DOW breaks 9835 and the S&P breaks 1044, but it's important to understand that both indicies must break these levels to confirm the wave 3. With that being said, I can say pretty confidentily that wave 3 has begun.

I think it's clear - the current trend is DOWN.

Re-allocating to cash will not hurt you, the worst it will do is limit profits IF the market goes up - but the market isn't going up, it's headed DOWN.

I think we'll be at 8500 by July, maybe sooner.

Seriously, DOW 8,800ish and S&P 875ish are the next downside target areas, we should definitely get there by the end of the year, probably by fall. Dow 5k might be another year or so away but we're definitely headed there sooner than anyone wants and most likely much lower than that.

So, my forecast is right on track,

I'm done now - see you in another few months when the market is decidedly lower than it is today - 8500 range (dow) and probably lower.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/12/31/markets/markets_newyork/

Meanwhile, Wall Street is eager to ring in the new year and celebrate 2010's solid gains.

The Dow is up about 11%, the S&P 500 has climbed 13%, and the Nasdaq has soared 17% so far this year.

Spot on. :wacko:

Bushwacked,

I think every huddle regular knows that my short-term time frame was obviously wrong. I still maintain my long-term view that the Dow is headed toward 5k and probably lower over the next several years.

What's really sad though, is how much time you spent digging up old posts of mine to beat that dead horse and after all that hard work nobody responded (ie... nobody cares). I still get the last laugh seeing evidence of your sorry pathetic life. It brings a smile to my face knowing that you spent your New Years Eve worring about my faulty short-term predictions (which in the end will still be spot on).

Happy new year!! :wacko:

No. Just did the math. With contributions added the overall growth is around 24%.

And I fully realize this year was a bit of an abnormality. I switched some of my elections up to higher risk investments and had higher than normal returns. I still question the overall stability of the economy. However, as long as companies are able to return profits, this market will stay strong, even if that is at the expense of employment.

Edited by General Itals

No. Just did the math. With contributions added the overall growth is around 24%.

And I fully realize this year was a bit of an abnormality. I switched some of my elections up to higher risk investments and had higher than normal returns. I still question the overall stability of the economy. However, as long as companies are able to return profits, this market will stay strong, even if that is at the expense of employment.

Yeah, mine is 18.78% not including contributions. Very healthy year, especially the first, third and fourth quarters.

• 7 months later...

Perfect time to bump this classic thread. And I'll do so with a quote from EWI just published today:

At today's intraday low of 11,139 in the Dow, the decline overlapped the extreme of wave A, which topped at 11,258 in April, 2010. The S&P did the same thing at yesterday's low. In addition, at today's intraday low the Dow's decline from May 2 became larger in size than the decline from April to July 2010. Both events - the overlap of the wave A high and the size of the current decline relative to the previous significant decline (April to July 2010) - confirm that the entire upward push from March 2009 is a countertrend rally that is complete. There are never guarantees in market analysis but the evidence is very strong that the next phase of the ongoing bear market started on May 2, 2011.

Please keep it nice in here. We all know I made a faulty call in saying the Dow would hit 5K in 2010. I learned from that mistake and I'm not here trying to say we'll be at price X by date Y. What I am saying and reiterating is that the market still has a lot of cleansing to do and 2008 was just the beginning. I still think the Dow will surpass the lows of 2009 but I'm not going to say it will happen this year - but I do think that peak in May will stand for a very long time.

Please be safe and think long and hard about keeping your money in stocks - especially if you're an old geezer like Ursa :wacko: The only thing I am certain about is that the next 5-10 years are going to be very unstable financially and economically. So please, give it some thought and best of luck to all of you (save Bushwacked).