[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need info: Walk-in Steam Showers

ABearWithFurniture

Was wondering if anybody has had any experience with these, good and/or bad. Thinking about renovating the bathroom and adding one of these where the current walk-in shower is.

Ariel Walk-in Steam Shower

Main questions are:

• How hard are they to install.

• Maintenance...some purport to be self-cleaning.

• Radio, phone, bluetooth, etc...do these options actually work in there?

Thanks in advance for any information...

I'm looking at another one that I really like for about $3200...I've got to think that ripping out the old one and installing a new one won't be that cheap though.

After having watched the movie 'The Fly'...these things look kinda creepy :wacko:

Edited by ABearWithFurniture

I'm looking at another one that I really like for about $3200...I've got to think that ripping out the old one and installing a new one won't be that cheap though.

After having watched the movie 'The Fly'...these things look kinda creepy :wacko:

I'd be concerned about being scalded to death.

I'd be concerned about being scalded to death.

On the plus side though, one could steam a sh1t load of shrimp in one of those puppies...

http://www.aquapeutics.com/test/u6810b.html Look at this one, I can beam up Kirk, Spock, Scotty and McCoy with this bad boy. :wacko:

The very little I know is from the brief time we were thinking of putting one in when we built and decided against it. Cost was the main factor, of course. These are very very very nice, but we opted for the jacuzzi tub instead.

The plumber said to do it right with no future problems, you need to run some pretty substantial water feed lines to provide good output for it all. Ton of extra plumbing. What really broke it for us was he said you should have multiple tankless water heaters for it to do it right balla-style.

Got to love the shipping details...

'Shipping...This item ships via motor freight carrier and will be delivered to your curbside. Please note that this is a very large and heavy item! You MUST be able to make arrangements to get this into your home.'

Looks like I might have to 'put a large hole' in the side of the house to get it indoors... :wacko:

ABWF....I've done a couple steam showers from scratch, never one that was a self-contained enclosure like this one.

Oddly...their 'installation instructions' pdf won't come up for me. Nevermind....it worked in IE, just not in Mozilla. It wasn't very helpful actually. :tup:

Sounds like if you have the drain/supply lines and electrical done for you, the rest of the installation isn't too bad. Honestly.....that thing looks a little too space age for me to consider putting one into my own home.....lol. I'd rather do the steam unit in a big, tiled shower with a bench, body jets and a couple showerheads. :wacko:

But I will tell you....that steam shower I did in his condo ended up being the feature that sold that condo for top dollar. Brand new kitchen, carpet, hardwoods, hardware, fixtures.....but all anyone wanted to talk about was that steam shower. :tup:

Oh.....and TimC is right. Maybe a dedicated tankless water heater unit is a good idea and a great plumber that can help you with the water pressure/water supply. You know that Kohler commercial with the plumber adjusting that HUGH shower with all the body sprays? You'd be amazed how much extra care in plumbing it took to get all those working well together.....lol.

But it sounds like these units you are looking at just have the one supply line each for hot and cold.....so the biggest consideration will be adding a pressure 'boost'. :wacko:

Puddy: "Well, it's a big job. You've got to dismantle the latch hasp from the

auxiliary drainage line."

Kramer: "No. It says 'main line'."

Puddy: "It's a misprint. What do you got, a Clarkman?"

Steam showers are great.

Make sure you have enough room for you to play a little grab-ass with the wifey. :wacko:

Mmmmmm, steamed snapper!!