[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sidney Rice hip thread (surgery?)

JUMbotron

Greg Lewis started last week's exhibition so I would imagine he's moving up to #3 behind Harvin and Berrian. He's not a stud, but he's not a scrub either. He should be owned in 14-team leagues right now. 12? I'm not so sure you would ever fit him in the lineup.

JUM

Edited by JUMbotron

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think only the Rice owners find value with Lewis, just in case Rice does not heal as fast or for the longshot that Lewis steps right in as a target, especially if Harvin's migranes hold him out of any games until Rice gets healthy.

I am keeping Rice on the roster for sure

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Hell no.

I am trying to think back to how Favre distributed the ball and from what I remember he didnt really have a favorite guy that he stuck with all year. Driver stands out, but I remember him having a different favorite WR every month. I dont know, this looks like a mess I want to stay out of. Think I will just let everyone else deal with this and hope Rice comes back healthy.

My early hunch on Rice, take it with a grain of salt because it's only based on my experiences & perceptions:

Dump Rice if there is a juicy waiver-wire floater in your league. My guess is Rice is gone. If it's a labral tear it's 10 weeks. That's into November. If it's more of a hip joint, that's such an invasive procedure deep in his body. Toast.

I envision you holding onto Rice, week after week, while his lingering shelf spot prevents you from grabbing a breakout RB or WR. Last year I watched my WR3 Anthony Gonzalez go down in a heap, just minutes into the 2009 season. Tuesday morning I flat dropped him and it was the best move I ever made. I didn't need to read about the MCL or LCL or meniscus... I saw his knee buckle. So I picked up Steve Smith of the Giants after his opening mini-surprise 6-80-0 day. The next week he took off like a rocket.

Suppose you hold him all that time, wasting week after week reading about Rice's "progress", getting mixed reports and teasers about how "He could be back in 5-6 weeks" like we heard about Gonzalez all year long. He's not doing you any good. And many of you have 12-week regular seasons anyway. What if he doesn't come back until week 10 at Chicago? Would you even start him, cold, right off the bat?

I've just always been a hack-and-drop guy. Hip? Lis Franc? When in doubt I cut off the excess baggage and move on. And I never look back.

That's just me. This hobby is hard enough without a guy like Rice burning up a valuable roster spot for 8+ games.

Maybe the news changes in the next few days and we hear it was more of a simple scope-out. Then maybe I reconsider.

JUM

I am trying to think back to how Favre distributed the ball and from what I remember he didnt really have a favorite guy that he stuck with all year. Driver stands out, but I remember him having a different favorite WR every month. I dont know, this looks like a mess I want to stay out of. Think I will just let everyone else deal with this and hope Rice comes back healthy.

did you go back to Antonio Freeman?

When he needed a play, the ball went to the direction of Rice more often than not.

Like Vincent Jackson? How awesome would it be if Randy Moss came back to Minnesota.

If you're gonna do it and want to go all in and mortgage the future for a run in Brett's probable last year, I say make the Cardinals an offer they can't refuse and bring back hometown kid Larry Fitzgerald. :tup:

(Yeah, I know, this ain't Madden or whatever.) :wacko:

I predict Walker will be a super nothing and that the Vikes will make a surprise trade move.

I don't know about a trade (unless it's Vincent, I don't know who else they could get that's worth a poop) but I do know that Javon Walker won't register even a blip on fantasy radar. Not with that knee.

I don't know about a trade (unless it's Vincent, I don't know who else they could get that's worth a poop) but I do know that Javon Walker won't register even a blip on fantasy radar. Not with that knee.

I don't think Vince becoming a Viking is very likely...

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports the Minnesota Vikings were said to be interested in disgruntled WR Vincent Jackson, but league and agent sources said the team immediately balked at the same $50 million, five-year contract (with $30 million guaranteed) over which Seattle stopped talks with Jackson. The Vikings on Tuesday signed WR Javon Walker.

My Surgery

Written By Sidney Rice

August 25, 2010

I'm in physical therapy getting my hip iced up right now. I can tell you that physical therapy is not fun.

I injured my hip during the Saints game and it was pretty bad afterwards. I got an MRI right after the game and the doctors said at that point that I had time and it could heal on its own. So I just tried to take it easy from there. No one wants to have surgery if it can be avoided, especially if the injury has a chance to heal on its own.

I gave it some time and it started getting better over the next couple of months. Mini-camp came around and I tweaked it during practice. I wasn't feeling good after that so I went and got another MRI out in Colorado with Dr. Philippon. He looked at the results and basically said it looked the same as after the MRI I had after the Saints game. He said I could have the surgery or I could continue rehabbing and see how it felt and it could still heal on its own.

So once again, no one wants to have surgery, so that's the route I took. He said it could be taken care of after season, that I could play with it this season and then get it fixed in the off-season, so that's what we were hoping for.

I went to training camp not at 100 percent but I started feeling better. I was running, doing some cutting drills, things like that. Last week I was a little sore after the cutting drills, but the pain was something I thought I could tolerate.

Like a week and a half ago I went back to see the doctor for another MRI and he said it showed significant changes. It was something he thought would be a serious problem if I didn't get it taken care of right then, a problem that could shorten my career. I was feeling better, I had my full range of motion back and felt like I was ready to go, but the doctor compared the last two MRIs and said I should get it taken care of right now.

I talked to a couple of my teammates about it and our trainers and felt like it was the right move to make because I would still have an opportunity to finish the season strong and help the Vikings make a push for the Super Bowl.

Once the doc got in there and checked everything out, he said having the surgery was the best move I could have made, so I don't regret it now. He said it could have been much worse if I would have tried to play on it during the season. He said it could have been my last year of playing football, so I know I made the right decision.

The surgery was successful. I was surprised when I woke up from the surgery and they told me I would be getting on the exercise bike that same day. I was still out of it from the anesthesia, so I figured they were mistaken. But at 7 o'clock that night they got me out of bed and put me on one of those light fitness bikes and had me peddling for about 20 minutes.

It's only been a couple of days but I'm feeling better and better with less pain. I have to take it slow, I don't want to rush it, but everything should be fine and I should be back to 100 percent if I follow my rehab plan, which I will.

People are going to say what they want to say about my contract or whatever, I'm not really worried about that at this point. My main focus is getting back on the field and performing at a high level like I did last year and helping the Vikings win a Super Bowl. It's not my concern what people say about my contract, whatever happens, happens. If the Vikings decide to give me an extension, that's great. If not, life goes on. I'll continue to work hard and do everything I can to be successful in what I've been doing my whole life, and that's playing football.

When I get back it's nice to know Brett will be out there. Everybody is happy to have Brett back, he's a great leader, a great player and has a football mind. It's always good to have a guy like that around and guys look to him as a team leader.

As for when I'll be back, I'm not really sure but I'm aiming for being back on the field before midseason. I want to do as much rehab as I can as fast as I can without jeopardizing the injury or making it worse. Whatever the doctor says, I'm shooting for two weeks before that.

I want to thank the fans who have supported me throughout this ordeal. Just keep your heads up and know that I'm working hard. Dallas is still the destination.

http://www.sidneyrice18.com/blog.html