[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dear Goodell and NFL team owners: shove it

BeeR

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5497448

"We want to do it the right way for everyone, including the players, the fans and the game in general," Goodell said."

Yeah it's not like this is all about money or anything. lol :wacko:

How stupid do you have to be to buy such obvious BS? I can't believe I'm saying this but IMO he's even worse than even Tagliaboob was. Just another puppet.

If that idiot and the POSs pulling his strings want us to buy that they're trying to do what's right for the players and fans, how about letting US vote on it and you abide by that vote?

Edited by BeeR

Grab your wallet, football fans.

Players will want additional compensation for playing additonal regular season games (and that's justifiable, IMO), but teams already charge full price for pre-season games. That means the difference between increased costs and unchanged revenues goes right to ticket prices.

Players will want additional compensation for playing additonal regular season games (and that's justifiable, IMO), but teams already charge full price for pre-season games. That means the difference between increased costs and unchanged revenues goes right to ticket prices.

Wouldn't advertising money during those "real" games be the extra money? I'm assuming the TV revenue would be the real cash they are looking for. I hope it doesn't happen but they could probably survive even if it doesn't go well. It sounds like one of those "too big to fail" ideas where they would expand rosters, change OTAs, change training camps, throw the kitchen sink just to make themselves look right even if ends up worse for the players and the importance of the regular season. :wacko:

NBA and MLB are a joke because the regular season means nothing. Way too many games, players don't go all out, they rest way to much, blah blah blah. It's all because those regular seasons are WAY, WAY too long. NFL would be taking a huge risk in trivializing the regular season - we can get our fantasy updates on our phones now for goodness sake, there's very little reason to even watch games now. If they make the season such a grind for the players that they start half-assing it like NBA players do the NFL is done.

Well, here's what I think.

I know the players are gonna want more compensation, but the owners are already offering less (18% is what I keep hearing).

I think ownership is dangling this out there as a tit-for-tat thing. Basically, "players, if you agree to the 18 game schedule, we'll agree to pull our payroll reduction off the table". In the end it accomplishes the same thing for owners, IMO. And not only that, but rosters would almost certainly increase, maybe all the way up to 60 players on the active roster. And practice squads may also expand by a little as well. That's more players in general and more veterans specifically that could likely keep their jobs longer. A win for the union. Ownership wins by presumably getting more TV revenue and selling out an additional home game.

I genuinely believe this is going to end up being the compromise.

From a fan standpoint, I'm 100% in favor of increasing the schedule to 18 games.

From a fan standpoint, I'm 100% in favor of increasing the schedule to 18 games.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Between OTAs, TC, PS, the regular season, and now the SB moving well into February, some of the guys never get the chance to completely heal. I think that's why we're seeing more and more TC injuries. This sport is way too physical and violent, and adding another 2 regular season games is just throwing gas on the fire.

I honestly believe that the players already are getting too much work and not enough rest/healing time, and that it has affected the quality of the game somewhat. Add those two more regular season games, and I firmly believe that we'll see a significant further degradation of the game.

There is a optimization point/tipping point in every business. I think the NFL is already on the downhill side of that curve and is looking at moving further down that curve with this hare-brained idea.

How much extra do players get for playing in playoff games?

http://www.nflplayers.com/Articles/Public-...or-NFL-Players/

Wild Card (Division Winner): $20,000

Wild Card (Other): $18,000

Divisional Playoffs : $20,000

Conference Championship : $37,500

Super Bowl (Winner): $78,000

Super Bowl (Loser): $40,000

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Between OTAs, TC, PS, the regular season, and now the SB moving well into February, some of the guys never get the chance to completely heal. I think that's why we're seeing more and more TC injuries. This sport is way too physical and violent, and adding another 2 regular season games is just throwing gas on the fire.

I honestly believe that the players already are getting too much work and not enough rest/healing time, and that it has affected the quality of the game somewhat. Add those two more regular season games, and I firmly believe that we'll see a significant further degradation of the game.

There is a optimization point/tipping point in every business. I think the NFL is already on the downhill side of that curve and is looking at moving further down that curve with this hare-brained idea.

That's fair, but you're right, we do disagree 100%. I think it's one thing to say you'd notice the degradation, but I think it's another that you actually would notice it when you're camped out in front of the TV on a Sunday afternooon.

NBA and MLB are a joke because the regular season means nothing. Way too many games, players don't go all out, they rest way to much, blah blah blah. It's all because those regular seasons are WAY, WAY too long. NFL would be taking a huge risk in trivializing the regular season - we can get our fantasy updates on our phones now for goodness sake, there's very little reason to even watch games now. If they make the season such a grind for the players that they start half-assing it like NBA players do the NFL is done.

Exactly

My orig comment wasn't just about the 18 game bit though, it's Goodell's crock of poo attempt to wave some "greater good" holy flag. Just say it's about money you putz, we all know it anyway.

Edited by BeeR

That's fair, but you're right, we do disagree 100%. I think it's one thing to say you'd notice the degradation, but I think it's another that you actually would notice it when you're camped out in front of the TV on a Sunday afternooon.

Well, it's certainly debatable, no question. But I think as you'd see more 2nd/3rd stringers forced to assume more regular down time and more AFL guys manning STs that FB fans will definitely notice a change in the product. The talent pool is already razor thin at certain positions across the league as a whole, and we're going to ask teams to reach deeper into the player pool.

Well said also. oh well it's all but a done deal IMO. Shame.

If they can end up pushing the SB to Presidents' Day weekend, that's fine with me. I hate having to go to work the Monday after.

As long as I'm offering up my unsolicited opinions this morning, I say move it to Saturday. F tradition.

Edited by Cunning Runt

In reality, you're not adding 2 more games. You're making 2 preseason games become to in season games.

In reality, you're not adding 2 more games. You're making 2 preseason games become to in season games.

And in essence, you do two things there that require starters to play more downs in an 18 regular season/2 preseason game year:

1) The starters obviously play more in regular season games than preseason games, mostly by a wide margin if you are comparing them to weeks 1 and 4 in the preseason.

2) There becomes a greater sense of urgency in the preseason to get your starters ready. That means in the remaining 2 preseason games, your starters will play at least as much as they do in week 3 preseason, and most likely would have to play that many downs in the other preseason game also.

More reps, more full contact, more opportunity for injury for your best players. It as a byproduct also reduces the time you can teach/work with your younger and less experienced guys, meaning those guys won't get nearly the opportunity to get noticed that they do now and their learning curve gets prolonged if they even make the team.

Again, this is a business. You are shortening your lead time and lengthening your production cycle. As a consequence, the shortening of your calender requires greater urgency and a higher frequency of repetition by starters and lessening of opportunity for others. It also adds to the risk with the increased frequency and fatigue factor being increased. These are pretty simple business principles in operation.

This is just absurd. Keep 2 preseason games. But make the other 2 structured scrimmages with equal alottments of reps in different game situations. You can still charge folks to see them but they don't necessarily have to be at a ginormous stadium at 1/5 capacity. It would draw some hardcore fans and really develop tape on guys in many different situations.

The propensity for injuries will always be there. Making the regular season longer will have many other unintended consequences (beyond, yay, more football that counts).

It also adds to the risk with the increased frequency and fatigue factor being increased.

The effects of this can't be understated. Teams are already moving away en masse from 'traditional' pro systems. We'd likely see more spread offenses, the 'stud' RB will finally become extinct, and rosters would have to be expanded (or at least restructured to allow teams to keep the rights to more players).

It's crazy to think but teams may actually reserve their stars based on the ebb and flow of a season. Again, moreso than they already do. Example...why trot out Ronnie Brown for the first 4 weeks when you'd rather have him for the stretch run and you have a capable backup. Or you want Wilfork rested for a stretch run of division games and the two weeks prior to those you think your backup will matchup well enough.

This is just absurd. Keep 2 preseason games. But make the other 2 structured scrimmages with equal alottments of reps in different game situations. You can still charge folks to see them but they don't necessarily have to be at a ginormous stadium at 1/5 capacity. It would draw some hardcore fans and really develop tape on guys in many different situations.

The propensity for injuries will always be there. Making the regular season longer will have many other unintended consequences (beyond, yay, more football that counts).

You gotta imagine coaches would rather have more scrimmages and less preseason games. It allows them to get in a lot more reps, instead of trying to squeeze all your guys into a 60 minute game.

I am for it if they expand rosters to say . . . 60 players to allow for extra injuries and keep players to develop. That way you can spend more time coaching up a project without worrying he will get snatched off your practice squad. I wouldnt mind seeing the practice squad increase as well.

That way the union gets to add more members, there are more "camp bodies" that can be used for practice purposes, and you could even keep your players healthier by having more special team players take that burden off starters at skill positions.

IMHO of course . . .