[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Kid Cid

I had the pleasure of seeing this man in concert on several different occasions. The opening bars of Voodoo Chile still gives me the chills. Taken from us way too soon.

Saw a concert on TV once that was outstanding but I'm not totally convinced that his death isn't the biggest motivator for people to call him great.

As for songs, meh. His virtuosity is not in doubt but the catalog isn't memorable to me. Little Wing was cool.

Saw a concert on TV once that was outstanding but I'm not totally convinced that his death isn't the biggest motivator for people to call him great.

As for songs, meh. His virtuosity is not in doubt but the catalog isn't memorable to me. Little Wing was cool.

pretty much agree. the fact that all the first songs people think of aren't even "his" is telling. the guy was noteable as a guitarist, as a songwriter not so much.

pretty much agree. the fact that all the first songs people think of aren't even "his" is telling. the guy was noteable as a guitarist, as a songwriter not so much.

That isnt very uncommon for later generation blues players. In Step was mostly original and it was a very succesful album for him

Couldnt Stand the Weather is probably number 1 for me but this was a tough one

I love his cover of Mary Had a little lamb

I love Cold Shot

SRV was considered by many - critics and blues greats - to be one of the most gifted blues guitarists of all time LONG BEFORE his death.

That isnt very uncommon for later generation blues players. In Step was mostly original and it was a very succesful album for him

Couldnt Stand the Weather is probably number 1 for me but this was a tough one

I love his cover of Mary Had a little lamb

I love Cold Shot

++++++1 Great tune

Edited by Redfish

I don't think "favorite song by" has anything to do with whether the person writes their own songs....has to do more with what they did that you really like. Heck, my favorite Hendrix song is a cover of a Dylan song....and that one is a classic.

I wasn't a real hugh fan of Stevie Ray....but man, the guy could play a guitar and actually had some stuff I liked. Just cuz he didn't write it doesn't mean it wasn't good or that I couldn't like it.

It seems to me Ursa wasn't doubting his guitar skills, as much his talent as a creative songwriter.

Yes. As I said earlier, the concert I saw on TV was outstanding. I've never been that taken with the songs as a whole though, so his recorded output has never really done it for me. Maybe he's another in the long list of artists much better live than on record. :wacko:

Yes. As I said earlier, the concert I saw on TV was outstanding. I've never been that taken with the songs as a whole though, so his recorded output has never really done it for me. Maybe he's another in the long list of artists much better live than on record. :wacko:

way better live... saw him 5 times... the last was his last show

I don't think "favorite song by" has anything to do with whether the person writes their own songs....has to do more with what they did that you really like. Heck, my favorite Hendrix song is a cover of a Dylan song....and that one is a classic.

I wasn't a real hugh fan of Stevie Ray....but man, the guy could play a guitar and actually had some stuff I liked. Just cuz he didn't write it doesn't mean it wasn't good or that I couldn't like it.

Exactly. How many songs did Elvis Presley write?