[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What movie to see tonight

muck

What movie do we see tonight?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• The Town
    • The American
    • Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps
    • Other

Funny, wife and I worked through the same dilemma today. We watched the original Wall Street last night and planned to see Money Never Sleeps tomorrow night. But today I saw the Town got over 90% on Rotten Tomatoes and remembered a few guys here raving about it, so I talked my wife into seeing that instead. Money Never Sleeps got 56% I believe, lot of reviewers saying it's slow and boring. I swear by Rotten Tomatoes.

no kidding! it looks good. what didn't you guys like about it?

Yeah, I thought the previews for the American looked great. The opening five minutes had me believing the same thing... it was all downhill from there. Trust me... it's one of those movies where the preview has more exciting parts than the movie itself, if that's possible. Probably worth renting, I guess, but even that will likely leave you disappointed. Slow, not as much action as you would think it would have, and leaves you wondering what the hell the point was. :wacko:

The Town, on the other hand, was pretty good. I thought the previews for that looked very good as well, and I can honestly say that I wasn't disappointed. I mean, it's rare that the movie lives up to the hype (obviously they're going to make it look as attractive as possible, to lure you in), but this movie was about as good as I expected it to be, which is somewhat uncommon (at least for me). I'm not saying it's Picture of the Year material, but my wife and I enjoyed it.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give The Town about an 8, and The American about a 4.

The Town was very emotionally intense. In fact, Muckette told me it was so intense that she nearly got up and walked out ... and my wife (i) loves movies and (ii) can stomach about anything that isn't gristly gore (i.e., she can do Kill Bill, but not Saw). I really liked it; we talked about it the whole way home.

I give it an A (easy).

The Town was very emotionally intense. In fact, Muckette told me it was so intense that she nearly got up and walked out ... and my wife (i) loves movies and (ii) can stomach about anything that isn't gristly gore (i.e., she can do Kill Bill, but not Saw). I really liked it; we talked about it the whole way home.

I give it an A (easy).

Oh sweet, I love those kinds of movies, can't wait to see it tonight.

Date night! Matty may get some! :wacko:

I give it an A (easy).

:wacko: Glad you liked it.

Saw The Town last night, f'n masterpiece. Really well written and acted, delivered all the action, suspense and intensity I could handle, and even has a credible love story and a great ending. Easily the best acting I've seen from Affleck and excellent direction too -- paced well and great performances all around. My wife also loved it and we talked about it all the way home.

I said Gran Torino was my favorite movie of the past few years but I think this beats it. No-brainer Oscar candidate IMHO.