[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone else besides me feel Tolbert will have more yards and TDs than Ryan Mathews?

euphy

I think a "bust" is defined as someone who cant take advantage of the opportunities they've been given. He certainly is not a BUST by NFL standards. But since people drafted him primarily out of the second round, I guess he is nearing the bust catagory in FANTASY terms. But to answer your question, I think Tolbert's success depends on Mathews health. If and when he gets to 100% I think he will resume the primary RB duties with success.

No.

Mathews is being eased back in. No sense in forcing him out there when he's not 100%, and he looked good on Sunday.

Then why was Mathews getting carries when the game was out of hand & Billy Volek was in at QB? Doesn't seem to me they were protecting him from re-aggravating his injuries.

ETA: Since Mendy is on his BYE this week, I'll probably start both Tolbert & Mathews.... I just don't want to start the wrong guy. TBH though, since Mathews showed up on the injury report & was limited in Fri practice, I am thinking of benching him & rolling the dice w/ FJax instead as my RB2. More than likely, however, I'll risk starting both SD RBs & hope like hell they have a big half time lead so I can get production out of at least one of them. If it's a tight game, I'm screwed, b/c it'll turn into the Philip Rivers show....and I happen to be playing the Rivers owner this week.

Edited by Cy_Hawk

Correction... whos the bust to you? The guy you probably spent a high pick on and drafted early or the guy someone else picked up off the WW who is filing in and could not do worse blind folded...

He's a rookie and sure you took a shot but you cant be mad if he fails... At least you didnt ride this S. Greene train this draft season... Yikes.

Edited by 561427

from kffl:

Ryan Mathews owners might feel a bit queasy after reading this. Mike Tolbert should see 20-plus touches for the foreseeable future until the San Diego Chargers are confident enough to let Mathews carry the load. They want the rookie back to be fully healthy physically and mentally. Mathews has proven to be easily shaken during his first NFL season, admitting that he vomits before games and doesn't rebound well emotionally from mistakes.

San Diego wants him to find some success in situations with less pressure so he has a foundation to build on.

Edited by PythonPatrol

Then why was Mathews getting carries when the game was out of hand & Billy Volek was in at QB? Doesn't seem to me they were protecting him from re-aggravating his injuries.

ETA: Since Mendy is on his BYE this week, I'll probably start both Tolbert & Mathews.... I just don't want to start the wrong guy. TBH though, since Mathews showed up on the injury report & was limited in Fri practice, I am thinking of benching him & rolling the dice w/ FJax instead as my RB2. More than likely, however, I'll risk starting both SD RBs & hope like hell they have a big half time lead so I can get production out of at least one of them. If it's a tight game, I'm screwed, b/c it'll turn into the Philip Rivers show....and I happen to be playing the Rivers owner this week.

I think Matthews got garbage time last week so they could let him take some hits and get a feel for the game again. They may do the same against Oakland, but that garbage time may happen sooner than later (like the second quarter)!

It is only a matter of a few weeks before Mathews shows the talent that got him drafted so high. Tolbert is playing adequately so there is no reason to rush him. I don't see this as a Donald Brown situation. Mathews will be getting 15+ carries sooner rather than later.

It is only a matter of a few weeks before Mathews shows the talent that got him drafted so high. Tolbert is playing adequately so there is no reason to rush him. I don't see this as a Donald Brown situation. Mathews will be getting 15+ carries sooner rather than later.

Hillis may not play, so yes.

from kffl:

Ryan Mathews owners might feel a bit queasy after reading this. Mike Tolbert should see 20-plus touches for the foreseeable future until the San Diego Chargers are confident enough to let Mathews carry the load. They want the rookie back to be fully healthy physically and mentally. Mathews has proven to be easily shaken during his first NFL season, admitting that he vomits before games

:wacko:

Worked for Steamin Willie Beaman . . . . just sayin' :tup:

San Diego Chargers RB Ryan Mathews was eased into the game in Week 4 against the Arizona Cardinals with RB Mike Tolbert starting, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune's Kevin Acee. "I'm committed to Ryan being our starting back, and he showed why," head coach Norv Turner said. "The right thing today was to start with Michael. He was going good, and Ryan gave them a little changeup." Mathews wore a protective pad on his elbow from a fall he suffered in practice last week. "It is my (third) game," Mathews said. "I've still got a lot to learn. The more experience you get, the better you get. You can tell a guy like Gates, he's awesome, all those catches like it's nothing. It's because he knows the game so well."

San Diego Chargers RB Ryan Mathews was eased into the game in Week 4 against the Arizona Cardinals with RB Mike Tolbert starting, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune's Kevin Acee. "I'm committed to Ryan being our starting back, and he showed why," head coach Norv Turner said. "The right thing today was to start with Michael. He was going good, and Ryan gave them a little changeup." Mathews wore a protective pad on his elbow from a fall he suffered in practice last week. "It is my (third) game," Mathews said. "I've still got a lot to learn. The more experience you get, the better you get. You can tell a guy like Gates, he's awesome, all those catches like it's nothing. It's because he knows the game so well."

I'm not trying to have a go at you, but believing what a coach says publicly about a player/game plan seems iffy to me. Why did he need to be eased in? He started games 1 & 2... He missed one game, not a month.

I'm not trying to have a go at you, but believing what a coach says publicly about a player/game plan seems iffy to me. Why did he need to be eased in? He started games 1 & 2... He missed one game, not a month.

Tolbert has performed better than expected which allows them the luxury of easing him into play.

My personal take is that the hot hand will get more carries over the next couple of weekls but eventally the majority of the carries will be RM's.

Mathews is an ultra talent. Tolbert has been playing lights out but is more of a short yardage guy. The cream will rise to the top in a few weeks. And they're easing him back, not because of the amount of games missed, but because it was an ankle injury on top of an elbow injury. The amount of games missed means nothing.

Personally I am kind of scared to start either - I'm sure the other one will blow up. I'm considering not starting either of them due to my depth, but I think I might go with Tolbert today in the flex over Torain and Mathews.

Hope I'm not making a mistake!

Kind of suprised DMD didn't make any predictions for Tolbert at all this week...

At the time I wrote them, Mathews was destined to resume his workload as the primary but I will be including Tolbert for the forseeable future apparently.