[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FARVE

hawke23

NFL is full of oddities.

I never understood why, when a quarterback takes a knee behind the line of scrimmage and is touched, its not ruled a sack...when in any other circumstance where he is ruled down by the hand of a defender behind the line, it is.

He was not trying to throw a pass, so it is a negative running play.

So its an interpretation?

If the QB takes the snap out of the shotgun, and rolls out and is tackled....is it a sack? or does someone have to interpret whether he was looking for a WR?

It is indeed an interpretation. Sometimes a sack/run play gets reversed during official reviews of game fime to make official statistics.

NFL is full of oddities.

I never understood why, when a quarterback takes a knee behind the line of scrimmage and is touched, its not ruled a sack...when in any other circumstance where he is ruled down by the hand of a defender behind the line, it is.

Along this line, why is clocking the ball not considered intentional grounding, when it is quite obvious that the QB is literally grounding the ball?

As far as the Favre play, I can't believe when they were practicing the play all week that nobody on the practice field knew it was illegal. I'm thinking this particular rule has something to do with QB protection. If he was an eligible receiver, he could be jammed and knocked around like he was one. Kind of a weird one though.

Along this line, why is clocking the ball not considered intentional grounding, when it is quite obvious that the QB is literally grounding the ball?

Rule interpretation was that he was not trying to avoid being sacked.

Thank you ursa - was wondering about this. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't think Michaels and Collinsowrth did a good job of explaining it at the time.

Michaels and Collinsworth work Sunday Nights on NBC.

And I recall Tireco explaining that a qb is ineligable if he takes the snap under center.

NFL is full of oddities.

Another one I learned while Cutler was having his ass handed to him by the NY Giants is that if a QB runs out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage even without being touched, it's a sack, not just a rushing loss. I guess I should have known that but didn't.

Rule interpretation was that he was not trying to avoid being sacked.

Spiking the ball to stop the clock is a rules EXCEPTION not an interpretation. It is actually considered an illegal forward pass to purposely throw an incomplete pass just to stop the clock.

The exception to that is if the pass is thrown immediately after a direct hand to hand snap(QB under center) this is legal and done all the time.

Case example - If a QB is lined up in the shotgun formation, receives the snap and then spikes the ball, this is a foul. It is an Illegal forward pass resulting in a 5 yard penalty and a loss of down.

Edited by Jrick35