[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alternatives to Candy

Scooby's Hubby

Here's a question for ya. It doesn't directly apply, but I was curious to see what huddlers thoughts were on "what to do if you're not gonna be home on Halloween night"?

Do you leave candy out front with a note that says how many pieces each kid should take? Leave nothing at all? or what?

If you leave nothing, you open yourself to the 'trick' side of the holiday... if you leave candy out, you get the teenager (who shouldn't be out on the kids holiday anyway) taking the whole thing and dumping it in a bag.

So what is the proper thing to do?

Here's a question for ya. It doesn't directly apply, but I was curious to see what huddlers thoughts were on "what to do if you're not gonna be home on Halloween night"?

Do you leave candy out front with a note that says how many pieces each kid should take? Leave nothing at all? or what?

If you leave nothing, you open yourself to the 'trick' side of the holiday... if you leave candy out, you get the teenager (who shouldn't be out on the kids holiday anyway) taking the whole thing and dumping it in a bag.

I'd just turn the light out. YOu could try the bowl of candy and a note and you have a decent chance of most of the little kids getting their fair share because their parents are with them and the older kids wouldn't come out til later. Typically, if I'm going to be gone we just shut off the light and people can tell that nobody is home and they just move on to the next house.

So, my kid got quite the haul tonight - a buzz lightyear toy, a hotwheels car, decks of mini cards with Pixar Themes, pencils, stickers, playdoh, play snakes, fingers that were bubble holders, and ton of of other non- candy crap. Oh and a crap load of candy - full size candy bars to boot. This was the first year that we really went around our neighborhood and wow, do they really hand out some good stuff.

I'd just turn the light out. YOu could try the bowl of candy and a note and you have a decent chance of most of the little kids getting their fair share because their parents are with them and the older kids wouldn't come out til later. Typically, if I'm going to be gone we just shut off the light and people can tell that nobody is home and they just move on to the next house.

Last year we weren't going to be around so we left out a bowl on a table on our porch (no note)...our neighbors daughter said she saw a couple of teens start to take a bunch of the candy and my dog barked from inside the door and scared the crap out of them and they hauled a$s out of there...and I only remember this because she told us about it again tonight.

:tup: no, but tryin to get 3 younguns asleep asfter eating that crap after dark almost requires a horse tranquilizer

Understand....been there, done that. :tup:

My daughter used to run around the house like a nut just before going to bed. Now my dog does that! :wacko:

WTH???

We were home until about 2:30 and handing out for each kid that rang the bell. Once we left the house for the day I put a chair righ in front of my door with a box of candy for the kids to take that was pretty full. When we got home the candy was almost gone so it looks like the kids did the right thing .

So we go out with this big group of kids by my in laws house. A few of the houses we visited had the box in the front thing going on and one of the kids in our group whose parents werent there and was a kid I didnt know starts shoveling mounds of candy in his bag. I walked right up to him and made him put some back. Screw that crap. I know its all about having fun but kids still need to show manners. Respect the sign that says just take 1 or 2 and say thank you to every person that gives you candy.

I thing I noticed yesterday that was a little upsetting was that in all the excitement many kids were running across the streets without looking for cars. The kids think that because parents are there and the streets are congested that cars arent coming down the streets. I saw my girls do it. I didnt want to be any sort of kill joy but the first time I saw it I pulled them aside and told them to never forget to look both ways , even on and especially on halloween. They looked the rest of the day. We had a great day. We go to a friends hous every year after we trick or treat and they have all kinds of foods and desserts. I was stuffed by the end of the day.