[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Right or left?

driveby

Left or right foot braking?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you brake with your right or left foot when operating an automatic transmission vehicle?

• right
    • left
    • puddy

I brake with my left foot and it drives my wife crazy.

It just seems like a more efficient way to drive. Plus it gives my left leg something to do.

Are you one of those A-Holes that rides the brakes?

In Driver's Ed, they said to never use both feet because you either want to stop or accelerate and never both at the same time so use one foot and you never make a mistake. We were not allowed to do that.

Have you ever driven a standard transmission?

In Driver's Ed, they said to never use both feet because you either want to stop or accelerate and never both at the same time so use one foot and you never make a mistake. We were not allowed to do that.

Have you ever driven a standard transmission?

You mean like my Mustang GT?

I'm very talented.

Left footed braking with an automatic transmission is actually a better technique. The thing is that you have to use it properly, which requires attention and practice.

In my experience, there are two kinds of drivers - those that actually put in the effort to drive the car and those who want the car to transport them to where they are going with as little input and effort as possible. I think that the overwhelming majority of drivers fall into the latter category. They have no business putting their left foot near the brake.

I have messed around with left footed braking a little. But I haven't owned a car with an automatic transmission in a long time and I wouldn't use the technique in traffic.

Try driving standard in the UK and shifting with your left hand while on the wrong side of everything. :wacko:

I use my left hand a lot, especially since I've been married, shouldn't be much of an issue.

two-foot automatic drivers are a scourge to society. I hate them.

I don't understand it - but at the end of the day, whatever is clever. So long as he isn't one of those guys who backs into parking spots needlessly.

edited to add===> :wacko:

Edited by Duchess Jack

lol! My mom is the only person I know that uses her left to brake (until now)...she said because she learned to drive using standard transmission. She's 68 and has never had a wreck so I guess its not too bad:)

She only causes them...

I use my left on an auto because it gives me more control of the vehicle. It is a very small difference though, one that most drivers wouldn't notice.

lol! My mom is the only person I know that uses her left to brake (until now)...she said because she learned to drive using standard transmission. She's 68 and has never had a wreck so I guess its not too bad:)

I don't see why anyone would use their left foot to brake in a standard transmission car. The left foot works the clutch only. As has been said, you're either braking or accelerating, not both, regardless of transmission type.

You two kids are playing Indy car racing every time you go to the grocery store and deserve to know how big of freaks you truly are. :wacko:

either that or they're those morons who use both pedals at the same time in traffic and are an absolute nightmare to try and drive behind. I don't really think load-balancing to induce oversteer while powering through a turn is the issue for most left-foot brakers.