[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thank God for Football!

Rovers

Not as bad as it sounds, my entire clan is headed to Texas for a family wedding on Saturday, but that event means some of us won't be around today or are too busy getting ready to fly out tomorrow to do the whole Thankgiving thing today. I bought a couple of hugh turkey wings, some veggies, and I'll eat alone. First time I'll ever being going solo on Thankgiving my entire life. If I wanted to I could probably weasel an invitation out of a friend or neighbor, but with football on all day, this should be fine.

It makes me wonder though how difficult holidays must be for those without family, or at least no family nearby. So, today I will be thinking of people who are alone today, maybe say a few prayers. There is always much to be thankful for, even in bad times. There are always those who have it worse. I have invited people to my family's meal in the past because I knew they were alone, is there anyone you know that might be alone today? Might you be able to offer a late invite? Just a thought...

I will be at the hospital with mama part of the day and home watching football the rest. I don't celebrate the holidays because of my religious beliefs but my mother does.

I hope your mom is doing well. I never will understand religions that disallow for traditions and customs that celebrate all the gifts we have recieved. Didn't the old testament have sacrafices and celebrations? Like weddings in the new testament as well? Don't mean to sidetrack, but I'll never get the whole Puritan ideal of dour self denial. I don't think we were meant to be miserable.

Is it OK to have a harvest festival? I mean as long as it has no religious overtones? Or kid's birhdays? :wacko:

John,

If I was having T-Day at home, you'd be more than welcome. For the first time in 8 yrs, we're on our way to Jersey & alas, cannot offer the invite. I regret that I hadn't seen this message a couple of days ago, or even yesterday. You would've had an invite for sure.

If it helps, I'm wishing you, Big John, and any other Huddler, and friends, a happy Thanksgiving. My thoughts and thanks goes out to you all.

Howard

John,

If I was having T-Day at home, you'd be more than welcome. For the first time in 8 yrs, we're on our way to Jersey & alas, cannot offer the invite. I regret that I hadn't seen this message a couple of days ago, or even yesterday. You would've had an invite for sure.

If it helps, I'm wishing you, Big John, and any other Huddler, and friends, a happy Thanksgiving. My thoughts and thanks goes out to you all.

Howard

Thanks Howard... let's just be sure to get together in the city with Whomp for a Thursday night game. I'm fine with being alone today. Most of the clan is in Austin already. I'll probably pop by my neighbor's house for a cocktail and see if I can get a turkey meat care package! I brown bag my luches on flights these days. A turkey wrap with salad greens and brie is on the inflight menu tomorrow!

Big John and I can keep each other company in the chat room today. If it weren't for football, I would be kinda bummed out, but 3 games... yippeeeee!

I hope your mom is doing well. I never will understand religions that disallow for traditions and customs that celebrate all the gifts we have recieved. Didn't the old testament have sacrafices and celebrations? Like weddings in the new testament as well? Don't mean to sidetrack, but I'll never get the whole Puritan ideal of dour self denial. I don't think we were meant to be miserable.

Is it OK to have a harvest festival? I mean as long as it has no religious overtones? Or kid's birhdays? :wacko:

As not to high jack the thread all I will say is that its not necessary to have a special day to be thankful since you can and should do that everyday of the year. Also, gatherings with family and friends are done regularly and the kids never lacked anything. :tup:

As not to high jack the thread all I will say is that its not necessary to have a special day to be thankful since you can and should do that everyday of the year. Also, gatherings with family and friends are done regularly and the kids never lacked anything. :wacko:

As they say, different strokes for different folks. For my family, which is spread out over 5 states, no, getting together on a regular basis doesn't work so well. The holidays are a chance to re-unite. Remeber too that people have been having harvest festivals for thousands of years, so it's steeped in tradition and ethnical roots. I agree each day is a gift, but to me that doesn't mean that holday feasts are something to be shunned either. Like I said, it's just something I won't ever understand, but hold no judgement towards those who by choice or conviction do not choose to celebrate in a special way on holidays.

Do you have a feast at weddings? Just curious.

We celebrate Thanksgiving and Xmas as Harvest Festival and Winter Solstice. Just the way the pagans started them. :tup:

Have a good one Rovers. If I was in NJ right now, I'd swing over and down a brew with ya. I'm thankful that I am able to at least have a roof over my head this week as I visit my mother in San Diego for the holiday. And to hit on the other people out there with no family: I remember my days as a cook. I'll always remember the older folks that would sander in and ask if we were open, and if we were, were we serving turkey. It always made my day when I said "Of course we are...its Thanksgiving!!". There are millions of people alone today....let us all be thankful we have loved ones and friends to share these days with.

Have a good one Rovers. If I was in NJ right now, I'd swing over and down a brew with ya. I'm thankful that I am able to at least have a roof over my head this week as I visit my mother in San Diego for the holiday. And to hit on the other people out there with no family: I remember my days as a cook. I'll always remember the older folks that would sander in and ask if we were open, and if we were, were we serving turkey. It always made my day when I said "Of course we are...its Thanksgiving!!". There are millions of people alone today....let us all be thankful we have loved ones and friends to share these days with.

Great thoughts and well said!

We celebrate Thanksgiving and Xmas as Harvest Festival and Winter Solstice. Just the way the pagans started them. :wacko:

One can celebrate life and it's gifts in whatever way one chooses. I don't know if how they were started means much. What matters is what a holiday means to us and how we commerate it today. I do have a problem with calling Christmas Xmas however. It is disrespectful. You want to celebrate it it, fine, call it the winter solstice festival if you aren't a christian. It is for many christians a very holy holiday, despite it's commercialization. But lack of respect is rampant these days, and I think that is too bad. A shame, really.

:wacko:

Hmmmm...never game much thought as to it being disrespectful. I always thought of X-Mas as short hand. Makes me think twice about being lazy now.

Around here, there are often signs put out with other holiday decorations that say keep "Christ" in Christmas. The idea being if you are not a christian celebrating the birth of Christ but choose to engage in gift exchanging and other holiday traditions, fine, but please don't call that Xmas. Call it the winter solstice, or whatever, but don't help make a religious holiday more commercialized than it already is. No ther religious holiday has ever had it's name bastardized like that. And yes, I find it disrespectful, if even unintentionally.

Edited by Rovers

I truly hope all who were alone on this day fared well. I had John at my house a week ago, and I hope he had a good time and softened a holiday alone.

Rovers, you are going to see family for a wedding. I hope you have a great time.

I take my family for granted sometimes cause they have always been there for me. To those of you who had to spend a holiday alone...I salute you! :wacko: But remember yall have a family here also. And we're always here for you. This community is comparable to none. I treasure it.

May God bless you all. Dam.........I love this place.

RR just came back from seeing his first grandson today, a new born. Probably has a few scotches under his belt along with a few pounds of fowl. LOL... Love ya RR.... and it's good to see that people can engage in holiday cheer and warm wishes. Good people are good people, but holidays can make them shine even more brightly. RR is the north star of the Huddle.... he always shines, but sometimes even more brightly.

God bless you all, each and every one.

RR just came back from seeing his first grandson today, a new born. Probably has a few scotches under his belt along with a few pounds of fowl. LOL... Love ya RR.... and it's good to see that people can engage in holiday cheer and warm wishes. Good people are good people, but holidays can make them shine even more brightly. RR is the north star of the Huddle.... he always shines, but sometimes even more brightly.

God bless you all, each and every one.

Yes I did see and hold my grandson. What a feeling. :tup:

And I had a few scotches :wacko: , fowl and dressing/stuffing. :tup: I'm feeling good as I hope all yall are.

I appreciate the thought and am humbled by it. Whether I deserve it or not....time will tell.

May God bless you Rovers. You are a mench!

Thank you.

Tom