[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dandy Don just passed away

MojoMan

The man took the Cowpokes to the NFL Championship game in both 1966 and 1967, only to lose to Lombardi and the Packahs both times, the last one being the Ice Bowl on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field.

Is there any current announcer that is comparable to Dandy Don? I can't think of one.

They've tried to recreate the folksy, down-home thing. Remember the train wreck that was Jerry Glanville?

Meredith was a great QB, but I suppose unlike most others, I found him to be quite an annoyance in the booth. Given the streaming attacks on virtually all booth announcers these days, what would today's football fan think of some guy with a bad voice singing at the end of broadcasts every game? While people in bars were holding raffles to throw a brick at the TV when Cosell came on, I wanted to throw the brick when Dandy Don started to sing, if you could call it that. Sorry to hear of his demise in any case. RIP. He was apparently a good man.

Meredith was a great QB, but I suppose unlike most others, I found him to be quite an annoyance in the booth. Given the streaming attacks on virtually all booth announcers these days, what would today's football fan think of some guy with a bad voice singing at the end of broadcasts every game? While people in bars were holding raffles to throw a brick at the TV when Cosell came on, I wanted to throw the brick when Dandy Don started to sing, if you could call it that. Sorry to hear of his demise in any case. RIP. He was apparently a good man.

Wow, there actually are living turds. :wacko:

RIP Don

I looked back and not only did Meredith "Make" the MNF program, you could argue that he also "Made" the Cowboys,

He started at least one game for the Cowboys from year one. At 22 years of age, he started one game in the first year of existence.

The following year, he started 4 games and had a winning record of 2-1-1 in those starts. (LeBaron was 2-8 in 10 starts)

In 1965 the Cowboys were 7-7 and Meredith won all 7 of those in only 11 starts.

1966 is when the Cowboys became a winning franchise. 10-3-1 with Meredith starting 13 games.

In 1967 Craig Morton came on board and started a few games each year filling in as needed. Meredith's last year was 1968. He was 30 and the Cowboys finished with a 12-2 record that year.

1969 is when Staubach came aboard. Calvin Hill was also Rookie of the year that season. Not a bad duo coming in.

The Cowboys continued to win through the transition from Dandy Don to Staubach. That doesn't happen much anymore.