[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone have any recommendations for a safe?

peepinmofo

So for Christmas, I am asking my wife to buy me a safe. In the safe will be a gun (S&W M&P40), ammo, and other valuables. Im not sure what dimensions I want/need, but does anyone have any they recommend? I dont have the first clue about what features would be needed or anything. I know some are biometric (fingerprints), combonation, or just good ol fasion keys.

Any help is appreciated. :wacko:

How's the wife doing, you lucky bassturd? :wacko:

Pregnant again. :tup: Baby boy #2 due in March.

How accessible does the gun need to be?

Well, the 1st line of defense is the alarm, then the dogs, then the gun. Chances are, I hear the alarm or dogs, itll be in my hand. If I had to give a time, I would guess 10-15 seconds max (though realistically, I have no idea).

The safe will likely be in our closet on the floor, so it would be accessible, but I dont want it to be something easily able to be cracked open.

Edited by peepinmofo

There are several good gun safe manufacturers. I personally like Liberty, but my brother has a nice Browning safe. If it is primarily for guns and jewelry then a 30 minute safe is fine, as the interior temperature will stay low enough even in a a long fire to keep from damaging the guns and jewelry and the flash point for gun powder is high enough that it isn't an issue either. If you are also going to store important documents then you probably want to kick it up to a 2 or 2.5 hour safe. I have two safes. I have a Liberty Centurion 30 which is a 30 gun, 30 minute safe which is full of guns and ammo. I also have a Liberty Presidential 50 that is a 2.5 hour safe that has some more guns and some documents that we want to protect.

I would highly recommend that you get the biggest one you can afford and have space for as it is amazing what your wife will find to put in it. My wife keeps her jewelry boxes in our safes, passports, birth certificates, old family pictures etc...

BTW do not believe the manufacturers when they tell you a safe is a 30 gun safe. No normal person is going to put 30 guns in a 30 gun safe. You'd be lucky to get half that many guns in them (or 1/3rd if the guns are scoped), where you can get to them with out a whole lot of work, and if you have that many, in them you don't have much room to store anything else. Just something to keep in mind.

My next house I'm building a safe room rather than using gun safes. It will double as a sever weather room as we get some pretty severe storms from time to time.

ETA: Also do not store your gun cleaning equipment in the safe as the solvent and ammo do not do well stored together. You'll end up with some screwed up primers. You will also want to get something to dehumidify your safe. They make bars that plug in that do this, but I'm not a huge fan of having a hole for a electrical cord in my safe. I typically just put a couple cans of descant in each safe and recharge them (dry them out in the oven) about every 4 months or so.

ETA Part 2: Stay away from Stack-On safes they are total crap.

ETA Part 3: The best safes on the market today for total security (though not all that attractive) are Graffunder Safes, though they are very expensive for the storage capacity that they offer.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

There are several good gun safe manufacturers. I personally like Liberty, but my brother has a nice Browning safe. If it is primarily for guns and jewelry then a 30 minute safe is fine, as the interior temperature will stay low enough even in a a long fire to keep from damaging the guns and jewelry and the flash point for gun powder is high enough that it isn't an issue either. If you are also going to store important documents then you probably want to kick it up to a 2 or 2.5 hour safe. I have two safes. I have a Liberty Centurion 30 which is a 30 gun, 30 minute safe which is full of guns and ammo. I also have a Liberty Presidential 50 that is a 2.5 hour safe that has some more guns and some documents that we want to protect.

I would highly recommend that you get the biggest one you can afford and have space for as it is amazing what your wife will find to put in it. My wife keeps her jewelry boxes in our safes, passports, birth certificates, old family pictures etc...

BTW do not believe the manufacturers when they tell you a safe is a 30 gun safe. No normal person is going to put 30 guns in a 30 gun safe. You'd be lucky to get half that many guns in them (or 1/3rd if the guns are scoped), where you can get to them with out a whole lot of work, and if you have that many, in them you don't have much room to store anything else. Just something to keep in mind.

My next house I'm building a safe room rather than using gun safes. It will double as a sever weather room as we get some pretty severe storms from time to time.

ETA: Also do not store your gun cleaning equipment in the safe as the solvent and ammo do not do well stored together. You'll end up with some screwed up primers. You will also want to get something to dehumidify your safe. They make bars that plug in that do this, but I'm not a huge fan of having a hole for a electrical cord in my safe. I typically just put a couple cans of descant in each safe and recharge them (dry them out in the oven) about every 4 months or so.

ETA Part 2: Stay away from Stack-On safes they are total crap.

ETA Part 3: The best safes on the market today for total security (though not all that attractive) are Graffunder Safes, though they are very expensive for the storage capacity that they offer.

Good info... Thanks. I didnt realize they were so damn expensive, but I dont want to get a cheap POS that is either too hard to get in to in the event of a breakin, or something that will not hold up in a fire...

Guess I got some research cut out for me, but this is a start. Thanks much!

Congrats man. :tup:

I wouldn't go with one of those fingerprint safes. Someone will probably cut off your finger and try to use it to gain access to the safe.

I know this, because I have seen it on many movies and TV shows.

:wacko: Even if this is a joke, its still a point to be made.

Well, the day the Giants won the series I came home to find that I'd been broken into for a second time in less than two months. Apparently they noticed my safe but were not prepared to tackle it the first time. It's a Canon safe, 15 gun. The second time they came back and attempted to get into the safe using all my power tools. They were obviouslly amateurs because they tried using circular saws with wood blades. They tried using my roto-hammer with a masonry bit :wacko: . Grinders with cutoff blades, numerous sledge hammers and pry bars to no avail. About all they were able to do was knock off the handle and tumbler, scratch the surface and make it unopenable. Luckily there is a safe company nearby and I'm going to work a deal where they open up my now unuseable safe and sell me a new one. Will probably end up replacing it with a Liberty brand safe becasue I do know they carry that line and I've heard good things here and from other people as well.