[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Broken Toe

rhippens

Pretty sure I just broke my toe. Equivalent of my ringer finger on my right foot. Stubbed it off of a dresser and my wife and I both heard a crack. It's been about an hour and hurts more so I don't think it was just a stub.

Anyone with experience with this or any docs opinions? My feeling is that it's just a toe and I don't really feel like going to the ER because of a broken toe. But are there long-term issues if I don't? Should I just tape it to my middle toe and give it a couple of days or will I regret that if it's not set in the right place?

Did the exact same thing on the same toe years ago. I never went to the doctor to confirm the break. I just lived with it until the pain went away. But then again I'm all man :wacko:

haha. yeah, the pain is fine. i don't care too much. i might be singing a different tune in a few hours when i move a few palettes of fire wood to the front porch.

i guess what i'm more worried about is future ramifications if it goes "untreated". i mean, if i go to the doc, they are just going to x-ray it, say "yep, it's broken", ask me how the pain is, give me extra strength tylenol, and wrap it to my middle toe right?

can't i drink a scotch, take an aleve, tape it to my middle toe, and call it a day?

sounds like from your experience, the scotch might win?

haha. yeah, the pain is fine. i don't care too much. i might be singing a different tune in a few hours when i move a few palettes of fire wood to the front porch.

i guess what i'm more worried about is future ramifications if it goes "untreated". i mean, if i go to the doc, they are just going to x-ray it, say "yep, it's broken", ask me how the pain is, give me extra strength tylenol, and wrap it to my middle toe right?

can't i drink a scotch, take an aleve, tape it to my middle toe, and call it a day?

sounds like from your experience, the scotch might win?

future ramifications? What do you use that toe for? What do you think you will not be able to do - count?

Are you Costanzas brother and you are a foot model?

Toes are useless if you have both hands so tape it up or cut it off if it starts to hurt more.

future ramifications? What do you use that toe for? What do you think you will not be able to do - count?

Are you Costanzas brother and you are a foot model?

Toes are useless if you have both hands so tape it up or cut it off if it starts to hurt more.

only when i'm drunk do i need to toe for counting. i'm more concerned with the whole walking and balance stuff.

my gut feeling is exactly what you described.

Not much you or a Doc can do for a broken toe. I've broken a few over the years. The first time I went to the Doc. He looked at it, x-rayedit, and said "It's broken." and gave me pain meds. :wacko: ...Maybe you should go to see a doc. :tup:

Fell down the stairs last year -- left heel slipped forward, right leg got caught behind me, foot pinned under my ass, toes smashed against the steps over and over as I slid all the way down. It happened in an instant and the first thing that popped into my head is that my right leg is going to be badly broken. The first and second toes took the worst of it, and it was the worst pain I can remember. I was convinced they were broken, but x-rays showed it was just a bad sprain. They gave me lots of Vicodin and told me to keep it iced and elevated, the danger being blood pooling in the toe and it needing to be amputated in extreme cases. Lost the nail on the big toe but it eventually grew back. The severe pain lasted 4 or 5 days, then I couldn't put any weight on it for about a month.

My advice, milk it -- exaggerate the pain, get some good meds, get a good TV series on DVD and have your wife wait on you for a week or two.

Not much you or a Doc can do for a broken toe. I've broken a few over the years. The first time I went to the Doc. He looked at it, x-rayedit, and said "It's broken." and gave me pain meds. :wacko: ...Maybe you should go to see a doc. :tup:

Did the same thing...went to the doc, got x-rays, and a "yep, it's broken alright"...really can't do a thing for it but write you out a script and a bill for the exam and x-rays.

Did your wife laugh?

no, actually she said "uh, that didn't sound good". then i cursed my way down the hallway and she stood there waiting to see what i might break first.

we moved some firewood today, and it actually felt better. then i sat down for a while and got a shower. now it looks like a small eggplant. kinda funny. definitely smashed.

i'm glad to hear some folks say that they went to the doc and there wasn't a whole lot to do about it. that's kinda what i figured and i'm not a big fan of hospitals.

thanks all.

I broke both my big toes within a week of each at basketball practice. Took about a week for each one for the pain to get noticably better. And, nope, didn't miss a game or a practice. Actually moving around helped heal them I believed.

(Of course I was 17 years old then and didn't think about anything that could go wrong in the future, like being able to tell the weather was about to change by the pain in my toes.)

Good luck. Drink the scotch.