[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McDonalds sued for enticing children

gbpfan1231

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree it should not get very far but it just shows how pathetic people are. There is no responsibility for your own actions anymore.

First off, let me say this is a lame law suit.

Funny thing though, I always find it odd when the "no responsibility for their actions" card is played here. Because, while I agree, I wonder why businesses get totally off the hook.

It cuts both ways. Sure parents need to raise their kids. However, it always amazes how fast everyone rallies to the support of companies who have a specific marketing policy to make it as hard as they possibly can for parents to do the right thing.

And I'm not saying that there needs to be laws or lawsuits about this. But the public at large should see this as, "Well, you're not breaking any laws, but that doesn't mean you don't suck." Not, "How dare anyone tell McDonalds to stop the sleazy tactic of going after kids with marketing."

Funny thing though, I always find it odd when the "no responsibility for their actions" card is played here. Because, while I agree, I wonder why businesses get totally off the hook.

It cuts both ways. Sure parents need to raise their kids. However, it always amazes how fast everyone rallies to the support of companies who have a specific marketing policy to make it as hard as they possibly can for parents to do the right thing.

And I'm not saying that there needs to be laws or lawsuits about this. But the public at large should see this as, "Well, you're not breaking any laws, but that doesn't mean you don't suck." Not, "How dare anyone tell McDonalds to stop the sleazy tactic of going after kids with marketing."

I don't know. I guess the best way to tell McD's to stop this 'sleazy tactic' is to not frequent McD's. In my life, I have gone with my children to McD's/Burger King twice (yes, this makes me a fn hero). The reason is simple--I don't like to feed my children schit. If McD's had to depend on people like me, they'd change what they served or go out of business. It's the same principle as those crappy breakfast cereals. Those don't come into the house. My boys have told me that their friends get to have 'Crappy Cereal X.' I told them that they screwed up when they chose me for their father. Of course, they told me that they had no choice in the matter. I then point out I was here and they showed up at my house so, of course, they chose me.

I guess I don't get what you are saying??? McDonalds should not be able to target advertise to kids? The only people who should really make that decision are the parents. Now I can see marketing guns or alcohol to kids but this is just food - Going to MCDonalds when I was a kid was a treat and we hardly ever went - my parents made the decision to try and give us healthy food and once in a while we got a treat. MCDonalds did not make that decision my parents did.

I guess I don't get what you are saying??? McDonalds should not be able to target advertise to kids? The only people who should really make that decision are the parents. Now I can see marketing guns or alcohol to kids but this is just food - Going to MCDonalds when I was a kid was a treat and we hardly ever went - my parents made the decision to try and give us healthy food and once in a while we got a treat. MCDonalds did not make that decision my parents did.

No, you don't get what I'm saying. Because they should be able to do what they want.

Every time this comes up, I say the same thing. That there shouldn't be a law or anything but that it amazes me that nobody even minds that they make parents jobs as hard as they can in this regard.

And obesity is a massive, massive issue in the country, so it's more like marketing cigarettes to kids than people want to believe. And it's actually illegal to market cigarettes to kids. I'm merely suggesting that people be a bit more annoyed by the marketing of unhealthy food to the same demographic that we've already decided should be sheltered from advertisement of other attractive and unhealthy things.

No, you don't get what I'm saying. Because they should be able to do what they want.

Every time this comes up, I say the same thing. That there shouldn't be a law or anything but that it amazes me that nobody even minds that they make parents jobs as hard as they can in this regard.

And obesity is a massive, massive issue in the country, so it's more like marketing cigarettes to kids than people want to believe. And it's actually illegal to market cigarettes to kids. I'm merely suggesting that people be a bit more annoyed by the marketing of unhealthy food to the same demographic that we've already decided should be sheltered from advertisement of other attractive and unhealthy things.

I hear ya but I think the problem with obesity is just as much on the lazy parents that are out there and not as much about the companies marketing it. Just my 2 cents.

Seriously? We are blaming the companies when the state/federal government has allowed EBT cards to be used at liquor stores and fast food joints? :wacko: what a joke. So instead of a welfare family going out and buying a months worth of groceries, they take there state funded freebie card and hit the local McD's. Extremely laughable.

The lady who said "are you going to be a parent or let your children run you?" had it right, as did the attorney who said it was the most frivolous lawsuit he had ever seen in his career.

I think there was a guy a couple of years ago that tried to sue McDonalds because he was overweight. That one would have to rank right up there.

I don't know. I guess the best way to tell McD's to stop this 'sleazy tactic' is to not frequent McD's. In my life, I have gone with my children to McD's/Burger King twice (yes, this makes me a fn hero). The reason is simple--I don't like to feed my children schit. If McD's had to depend on people like me, they'd change what they served or go out of business. It's the same principle as those crappy breakfast cereals. Those don't come into the house. My boys have told me that their friends get to have 'Crappy Cereal X.' I told them that they screwed up when they chose me for their father. Of course, they told me that they had no choice in the matter. I then point out I was here and they showed up at my house so, of course, they chose me.

Hey Mr. Fun you should see if WV will let you borrow his "Veggie Tales explains Saint Christopher going to Greece" DVD...

it's not really that hard to handle ...

Then why does McDonalds bother? Are you saying one of the primary marketing angles of one of the biggest companies in the world is basically ineffective? I am sure that, in a frank and honest moment, they'd disagree with you.