[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McDonalds sued for enticing children

gbpfan1231

Amen - hey let's have all perspective parents sign a waiver that says "I will not allow my child to eat food from any place that advertises to children"

Detlef - you keep saying I don't answer your question or see your side but you have not really answered mine....

This is about food - stop going off on different tangents like now stripping....

I can't believe people want other people to decide how a place like McDonalds who sells FOOD can market the product. Again - you are saying it is wrong that McDonalds has a toy in a happy meal? You think this should not be allowed?

I said I would not but I will go back to the stripper thing. I am not sure if being a stripper is so wrong and I am not so sure eating McDonalds is so wrong but I do know here in Green Bay that a few strippers have been dong both and that my friends is WRONG. :wacko:

But that is only part of my point. And you keep talking about what should and shouldn't be allowed. Or other people deciding who can and can't do what. I'm just trying to define what is and isn't sleazy or annoying. That is all. And that has everything to do with one of their main marketing tactics of going right for the demographic least able to think critically and turn them into bigger pains in the ass than they already can be.

That it is junk food or smokes, or stripping has little to do with the rather dishonorable tactic of aiming for the weakest link in your family and going at it full bore.

For the last time. That is it, no more, no less.

Do you enjoy it when people make your job harder than it needs to be?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that is only part of my point. And you keep talking about what should and shouldn't be allowed. Or other people deciding who can and can't do what. I'm just trying to define what is and isn't sleazy or annoying. That is all. And that has everything to do with one of their main marketing tactics of going right for the demographic least able to think critically and turn them into bigger pains in the ass than they already can be.

That it is junk food or smokes, or stripping has little to do with the rather dishonorable tactic of aiming for the weakest link in your family and going at it full bore.

For the last time. That is it, no more, no less.

Do you enjoy it when people make your job harder than it needs to be?

OK maybe we are getting somewhere. I agree with you but I also disagree with you. I don't think McDonalds is marketing the Happy Meal with a toy in it for the reasons of aiming at the weakest link and pitting them against the parent. They are using a toy because a demographic of the customer base they make money on are kids. That is the best way to have a kid choose to go to McDonalds over say Wendy's - I really don't think it is an evil tactic to try and undermine parents. If you think that is the main goal behind the marketing tactics of McDonalds then I see a bit of why you are saying these things but I don't see it that way one bit.

A lot of people make my job harder than it needs to be but when that happens I sit back and look at the situation. Someone who asks me what I think may be a stupid question that makes my job harder but is an honest question and they just don't know any better does not bother me a bit and I try to educate them on the answer in a way that helps both of us. now - someone who does things in a purposeful way with the singular intent of making my job harder does piss me off - back to McDonalds I don't see that being the case at all. There is a big difference between the two scenarios.

Advertising is all about manipulating people. I think people take offense to it when a child is being manipulated to consume something that isn’t necessarily good for them. In the end, yes it’s up to the parents on whether or not they feed their kids McDonalds. So basically it’s you the parent, against McDonalds, the corp, fighting to shape your kids dietary habits. You have the power to say “no” and they have millions of dollars to spend in marketing and research. As your kids get older your power diminishes while you start to let them make more decisions for themselves. McDonalds will be there waiting. I mean have you ever seen anyone over the age of 12 eating apple slices at McDonalds?

Should there be laws against the type of advertising they do? I don’t know. We may be walking on a very slippery slope if we start trying to legislate things of that nature. Are they scum for doing it. IMO, yes.

Like it was mentioned here before, I think the best shot at changing this practice would be from a sort of grass roots movement. Concerned parents, raising awareness and hitting McDonalds where it hurt$.

OK maybe we are getting somewhere. I agree with you but I also disagree with you. I don't think McDonalds is marketing the Happy Meal with a toy in it for the reasons of aiming at the weakest link and pitting them against the parent. They are using a toy because a demographic of the customer base they make money on are kids. That is the best way to have a kid choose to go to McDonalds over say Wendy's - I really don't think it is an evil tactic to try and undermine parents. If you think that is the main goal behind the marketing tactics of McDonalds then I see a bit of why you are saying these things but I don't see it that way one bit.

A lot of people make my job harder than it needs to be but when that happens I sit back and look at the situation. Someone who asks me what I think may be a stupid question that makes my job harder but is an honest question and they just don't know any better does not bother me a bit and I try to educate them on the answer in a way that helps both of us. now - someone who does things in a purposeful way with the singular intent of making my job harder does piss me off - back to McDonalds I don't see that being the case at all. There is a big difference between the two scenarios.

I think we're just going to have to leave it here.

And, no, I don't think McDonalds is purposefully doing this to piss you off. I just think they want what they want and don't really care how go about getting it. They want your kids and don't care if they have to turn you into the bad guy, and/or make you have to deal with a screaming child on every road trip.

And, if I were a parent, every time my kid went into his or her little freak-out session over stopping at McDonalds, I'd curse that freaking clown under my breath.

I think we're just going to have to leave it here.

And, no, I don't think McDonalds is purposefully doing this to piss you off. I just think they want what they want and don't really care how go about getting it. They want your kids and don't care if they have to turn you into the bad guy, and/or make you have to deal with a screaming child on every road trip.

And, if I were a parent, every time my kid went into his or her little freak-out session over stopping at McDonalds, I'd curse that freaking clown under my breath.

You know, if other establishment were as accommodating to people with children... :wacko:

Why stop at McDonald's (and just about every fast food establichment has a toy with their kid's meals), why not go after Nerf for targetting kids with their Nerf Dart Gun commercials or go after any other toy manufacturer so I don;t have to hear kids say they want this or that everytime I drive past a Toys R Us or go to a Target.

Maybe we should just ban the advertising of any item with a targetted age range under 18.

What can I say. People are adamant about making sure their kids continue to be used as pawns against them. :wacko:

LOL... I though kids being pawns against their parents was.....well life... NO NO NO its McDonalds fault or at least McDonalds is making it a little tougher for me to be a parent....RIGHT..........lol maybe if you had kids you would realize how insignificant an episode of "Daddy I want to go to McDonalds" I say no. She cries. I make a joke... she laughs... done. or If she continues to cry off to her room. No big deal. She is learning a good lesson of we cannot get what we want all the time.

Its 5 pages b/c it should have went like this:

Original post..... then next post "this is just stupid".....done

Its 5 pages b/c it should have went like this:

Original post..... then next post "this is just stupid".....done

That's almost exactly how it DID go for the first two anyway. See #1 and #2. (Quite right too).

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Somebody should perch it.

Obviously this is due to the evil federal gubment and that damn m00slim in the white house when this should really be left up to the states rights, and what the hell is wrong with putting real guns in happy meals I mean I like to hand out bandoliers of ammo on halloween to defend Texas against all thsoe damn illegal immigrants so i think kids should be able to get a gun with every happy meal and if more people ate at McDonalds then they would need a lot more medical care and since I just so happn to build hospitals that is one of the main reasons I love guns and McDonalds becasue both can put people in the hospitals that I get paid to build and if it wasnt for that rotton Nobamamessiah making sure that people have health insurance then I would be rolling around in money like Scrooge McDuck in his vault with all the hospitals that I would be building but now that I know the Bush tax cuts are extended then maybe people will build things again and my business will pick up but until then I have a lot of time to go to tea Party rallies where if anyone there is racist or illinformed then they must be evil gubmnet goons trying to pry my guns and McRibs from my cold dead fingers . . . . . . . [\perch}

absolutely correct.

But when we say this, aren't we assuming that all parents are 'good' parents with this line of thinking?

Wouldn't most of y'all say that way too many parents just aren't all that great, at least with regards to nutrition? Shouldn't we be trying to protect the kids from parents who just don't care enough, aren't educated enough, or whatever?

I'm not excusing parents from making bad health choices, but shouldn't we as a society recognize reality?

What makes you think they will make better decisions on what to feed the kid in their own home?

What makes you think they will make better decisions on what to feed the kid in their own home?

And herein lies an even bigger problems - many parents I feel have no clue about nutrition etc. Heck, I am astonished when I watch Biggest Loser and see how ill informed people can be about waht is and is not healthy for you, etc.

Many of these parents probably think they are getting something nutritious for their kids, I mean, heck, it's got all of the food groups covered - meat, dairy (cheese), grains (bread) and vegetable (fries are a vegetable of sorts).

Obviously this is due to the evil federal gubment and that damn m00slim in the white house when this should really be left up to the states rights, and what the hell is wrong with putting real guns in happy meals I mean I like to hand out bandoliers of ammo on halloween to defend Texas against all thsoe damn illegal immigrants so i think kids should be able to get a gun with every happy meal and if more people ate at McDonalds then they would need a lot more medical care and since I just so happn to build hospitals that is one of the main reasons I love guns and McDonalds becasue both can put people in the hospitals that I get paid to build and if it wasnt for that rotton Nobamamessiah making sure that people have health insurance then I would be rolling around in money like Scrooge McDuck in his vault with all the hospitals that I would be building but now that I know the Bush tax cuts are extended then maybe people will build things again and my business will pick up but until then I have a lot of time to go to tea Party rallies where if anyone there is racist or illinformed then they must be evil gubmnet goons trying to pry my guns and McRibs from my cold dead fingers . . . . . . . [\perch}

:wacko:

And herein lies an even bigger problems - many parents I feel have no clue about nutrition etc. Heck, I am astonished when I watch Biggest Loser and see how ill informed people can be about waht is and is not healthy for you, etc.

Many of these parents probably think they are getting something nutritious for their kids, I mean, heck, it's got all of the food groups covered - meat, dairy (cheese), grains (bread) and vegetable (fries are a vegetable of sorts).

You need a drivers license to drive...make people get a license to have kids :wacko: