[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How did you draft in the first 4/5 rounds?

Curt Dallas

After reading 2V's article this morning link here . It got me thinking about my own drafts this year and I was wondering how other Huddlers drafted and how it worked out. The core of strong players is drafted in the first 5 or so rounds, with sleepers/upside drafted later. So how did you draft for the first 4/5 rounds of your draft and how did it work out for you? Did you churn the WW in order to put together a winning team or sit back and watch all your hard work in the preseason pay off?

My two redraft leagues went like this:

WR/RB/QB/TE/RB

Standard PPR

This would have worked well if my 2nd round RB wasn't Grant and loosing him in the first week hurt. Even after that I was able to pick up Tolbert off waiers and managed to take 2nd in the league in points only to loose in the first round of playoffs. Oh well can't win them all.

RB/WR/WR/TE/RB

Standard PPR

This is the league where I'm in the Championship. This is really making me think about waiting on a QB next year and stocking up on WR's early and shooting for lots of RBs in the mid rounds. Of course if a value RB comes along in the early rounds I'll pull the trigger, but those strong, consistent WRs are really making a difference.

What did other Huddlers do? Any advice/trends you're thinking about for next year?

1 - Frank Gore

2 - Ryan Grant

3 - Percy Harvin

4 - Vernon Davis

5 - Hakeem Nicks

generally a standard scoring, ppr, league.

I was 6-1 at one point, but late season injuries finally caught up with me (I also had collie, r bush) and I backed into the playoffs with a 7-7 record and lost in the first round.

Rodgers, Wayne, Marshall, Davis, & Stewart

It didn't work out as I had planned by going with a QB in the 1st & waiting until the 5th to get my 1st RB. With that said, Wayne & Davis were the only two guys left from my draft, I made the playoffs as the 6th & final seed, won one playoff game, & then watched Wayne & Davis put up clunkers in the semi's. I'm pretty sure I won't go this route again.

hahahahaha

Here is one league, pasted for general amusement and ridicule.

Cork it! League from the huddle . . . . .5 ppr RB/ 1 ppr WR/ 1.5 ppr TE

You can start qb/rb/wr/wr/te/2 flex(wr/rb/te) Obviously a lot of flexibility in lineups

Randy Moss

Calvin Johnson

Deangelo Williams

Brent Celek

Kevin Kolb

I did not make the playoffs . . but pickups of Vick/BJGE and Moeaki helped me not finish in last place . . . :wacko:

I'm in one redraft league - 10 teams, standard performance scoring, non-ppr, it went like this

1. Frank Gore

2. Peyton Manning

3. DeAngelo Williams

4. Arian Foster

5. Jamaal Charles

Lots of WRs went off the boards early, so I kept loading up on RBs. I won my division and made the championship game. I was also the last person in the league to draft a WR (6th round).

Ended up picking up Knox from the WW once Harvin went down, and he's pretty much the only WW acquisition that has contributed on a regular basis for my team. Just was fortunate enough to have enough RBs to survive the injuries and my WRs stayed healthy enough to keep me in games. I was 2nd highest scoring team this year as well.

Edited by SeductiveNun

Well in my 8 team redraft league I went wr/wr/rb/rb

1. AJ

2. R.moss

3.D. Williams

4. greene

I was the 8th pick so 1/2 and 3/4 were basically the same and from those 4 none are on my team.

I made it to the championship by drafting foster and rivers in the 5/6 round. They have carried my team!!

I also was able to trade AJ for Calvin and charles which was a huge trade (traded when calvin was injured and guy had a ton of rbs).

The other 3 I just dropped at some point.

14 team re-draft.

R.Matthews [benched for T.Choice week 16]

R.Wayne

P.Rivers

A.Foster

J.Witten

I still have 9 of my 18 draft picks. I finished 4th in the regular season, I'm in the finals and favored to win. I was able to P/U V.Jackson and B. Marshall off waivers.

Money League (in the championship game)

7-7 regular season; 8 team re-draft from the 6 position

1-AP (later traded for DMC & McCoy)

2-Schaub (later traded for Ray Rice)

3-Miles Austin (packaged with Benson for Hakeem Nicks)

4-Ryan Matthews (packaged with Freeman for Big Ben)

5-Beanie Wells (traded in pre-season for Benson & Bowe)

Friends & Family League (fighting for 3rd)

11-3 regular season, 12 team re-draft from the 5 position

1-MJD

2-Roddy White

3-Rivers

4-Welker

5-Foster

I think I have to be a little more selective with my picks in my money league next year. Although, I'm surprised as many trades went through in that league as they did this year because the other two years combined for maybe 5 trades.

Edited by injendsm

Very poorly, but thanks for asking! Suffice it say, I drafted Randy Moss in the first round in both of my leagues. I still somehow made the playoffs in one league though and rolled into the SB on the shoulders of Mike Vick and VJax.

In the other league, Randy Moss in the 1st round and Jahvid Best in the 3rd destroyed me. Neither of them are touching any roster of mine again.

10-team redraft at #7

WR-WR-RB-TE-RB-RB

A. Johnson, Wayne, Charles, Davis, Moreno, Foster

I add that sixth one in there because of Foster. Huge difference. :wacko:

Playing in fantasy super bowl this week, leading league in points. Regular season record 10-4 (only 2 weeks of playoffs, 4 teams).

Stupid thing: I picked the first TE taken, of course. Should have taken Gates, may not have affected rest of draft one bit.

RB starters were Foster and Charles most of year. We only start 2 RB and 2 WR, and a straight TE, no flex.

I drafted Wallace in later round, and later picked up Steve Johnson. So eventually at the deadline wanting QB help I traded away Andre Johnson (worrying about health a bit) to get Brees at QB. He replaced round robin of Cutler, Stafford/Hill and someone else one week I think that I can't remember. Cutler was money first two weeks though, got me off to great start.

So the team that powered into the playoffs after Week 10 was Brees, Foster, Charles (Moreno a couple times), Wayne, Wallace, Davis (or Pettigrew) and some scrambling at DEF after I stupidly dropped Green Bay right before they put up a couple of big weeks.

3 RB's in the 1st 4 rounds got me to super bowl (again) this year. Drafted 4th in a 12 team redraft league.

Gore

Calvin

J Charles

Foster

S.Smith (CAR)

I've been playing revolving WR2 all season, but killing it with RB1, RB2, and Flex.

Picked up Vick and Hillis off waivers. I guess that helps a little, too.

Thanks to the Huddle again this year. :wacko:

12 team redraft, I had the 11th pick.

0.5 PPR, 10 rush yds=1, but 20 rec yds=1.

1/11. Rodgers

2/2. Charles

3/11. DeSean

4/2. Foster

5/11. Harvin

6/2. Forte

Not a miss in the bunch. As you can see from the scoring, WR's are at the bottom of the scoring totem pole. Though this isn't a QB weighted scoring system, at #11 I wanted a bonafide Top teir guy at at least one position, and with the most solid options at RB gone by the 11th pick I grabbed a #1 teir QB, I wasn't feeling SJax, Wayne or Roddy at that early a selection. I prefer a guy with a high floor in the first round. Safety.

Almost selected Grant at 2/2, but I dunno, he's always been one of those guys I just have an aversion to selecting, like Benson, DeAngelo, Calvin J. My gut made the right call.

DeSean, didn't want to wait too long to grab a solid WR, good value at 3/11. Could've had Boldin, Jennings, or Nicks, but not a fatal mistake by any means.

I (and the whole league I found out later) was hard for Foster at this point. The only reason I didn't take Arian at 3/11 was because the 12th pick guy went RB/RB at 1/12 and 2/1, so I gambled he wouldn't spent his next two picks on a 3rd RB, and he didn't, he went WR/WR and I selected Arian instantaneously following his 2nd WR pick, to the wailing and chagrin of multiple owners in the draft chat. It was beautiful.

Thought I made a mistake with Harvin this early, with Maclin still available i would have taken him but I already had DeSean, and 2 WR's on the same team isn't my style, don't like to do it. But he has worked out. Could've had Bowe, but again, one of those aversion guys....

Forte, wasn't feeling him at all, but he was the best RB available at the time (coughMcFaddencough) so I gambled, with RB's at a premium over WR's I didn't want to be too thin. Eventually his inconsistency drove me nuts and I traded him and Torain for McFadden.

Picked up Torain, Blount out of the FA pool. Only used Blount week 10 (McFadden's bye), basically riding Foster, Charles and Forte/Torain throughout the year. Nice bench insurance, I'm in the Finals, I might need the Blount ins this week if Foster is inactive.

Edited by PPIchamp

I don't care how people drafted.....I can tell you all how I did, but the bottom line is here are 3 ww pickups that most 12 team leagues saw as free agents at the beginning of the year....

1. Mike Vick.....Yes, he was a projected back up and everyone drafter Kolb over him.....

2. Brandon Lloyd....Until week 13 a ww pick up in week 3-4 for most leagues.....Single handly made people get into the playoffs...

3. Peyton Hillis......That's right, he wasnt drafted in many 12 team leagues and if he was, you were laughed at......

Bottom line, the teams in our finals have 2 on one team, and 1 on the other...

O.k. maybe I am stretching it here, but a valid point...EH?

Went 3rd in a snake draft for my 10-man standard with 0.5 PPR league:

1. R Rice, BAL (RB)

2. R White, ATL (WR)

3. P Rivers, SD (QB)

4. A Gates, SD (TE)

5. R Brown, MIA (RB)

Brown was a bust, Rice was unimpressive for a large portion of the season, but put up half decent numbers considering it's PPR. Everyone else was a huge part in my success, though obviously Gates's absence has been felt the past few weeks.

Edited by overworkedirish

League 1: Redraft

1 - Brees

2 - Roddy

3 - PT

4 - J Finley

5 - Foster

I won the regular season with a record of 11-2 due in large part to my later round picks and the WW (and the picks above that didn't get injured). Unfortunately, even with a great week last week I came up short in the semi's to a team that had a slightly better week.

7 - Jets D

8 - Wallace

11 - LT

12 - DMC

WW - Tolbert, Tamme

League 2: Auction

Edited by myhousekey

12 team ppr redraft, I had the 1st pick

1. Johnson, Chris RB TEN

2.Charles, Jamaal RB KC

3.Jennings, Greg WR GB

4.Smith, Steve WR CAR

5.Finley, Jermichael TE GB

Thanks to Hakeem Nicks in the 7th round, Peyton Hillis in the 12th round and picking up Michael Vick after Kolb's injury, I ended up with the most total points for the season and playing in the SB this week.

I don't care how people drafted.....I can tell you all how I did, but the bottom line is here are 3 ww pickups that most 12 team leagues saw as free agents at the beginning of the year....

1. Mike Vick.....Yes, he was a projected back up and everyone drafter Kolb over him.....

2. Brandon Lloyd....Until week 13 a ww pick up in week 3-4 for most leagues.....Single handly made people get into the playoffs...

3. Peyton Hillis......That's right, he wasnt drafted in many 12 team leagues and if he was, you were laughed at......

Bottom line, the teams in our finals have 2 on one team, and 1 on the other...

O.k. maybe I am stretching it here, but a valid point...EH?

my friend and I started a local 3 years ago. All 3 years my 1st and 2nd rd picks have sucked due to injury or me just whiffing. I have done really well on the WW though. 2nd place first year, championship last year, playing for 3rd this year. 12 team ppr

This is one of my main locals and it couldn't have went much worse....

1. Randy Moss

2. Deangelo

3. R.Grant

4. T.Romo

Needless to say I didn't make the playoffs in this one but some pretty decent pickups Kitna, Tolbert, Steve Johnson, Hillis I made a good run at the end to make it respectable and knock some of the contenders out. Always next year for my favorite league :wacko:

My superbowl team was a little better

1. Gore

2. Roddy

3. P.T.

4. Rivers

5. Ocho

Late picks of Maclin, Moreno, and Free Agent Lloyd made this team #1 seed and going to the bowl only problem no Gore or Moreno and I'm in deep diaper dirt vs. Vick Mendy and Turner! Pretty sure second place is in my future ah those damn injuries!!! :tup:

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

10 Team Redraft.

1.2. RB - Chris Johnson

2.9. WR - Roddy White

3.2. WR - Greg Jennings

4.9. RB - Jamaal Charles

5.2. WR - Dwayne Bowe

While my picks were quite nice (thanks to the Huddle!), I unfortunately got impatient with Bowe and dropped him a couple of days before he turned into the Incredible Hulk.