[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cleveland Cavs offer homeless man job.

Do Work Son

This is a nice story....I only hope that all this flurry of publicity doesn't rattle him too much. Matt Lauer was right yesterday on the Today show....Ted IS a completely gracious person. His "corner" if you will, was right outside the Lowe's on Hudson and I-71. I've had to frequent that Lowe's about twice a week for the last year for some clients. To put this in perspective...there is a homeless person with a sign at every offramp along 71 from downtown north to Polaris. If you tried to help them all as you drive home each night.....you'd come home broke.

But Ted always seemed upbeat to me. And genuine.

Doral Chenoweth III is the videographer and a heck of a photographer in his own right. His father was the restaurant critic for decades here in town. I knew the father quite well. Talk about 'not judging a book by it's cover'....lol. Our restaurant was a bit upscale, but in the airport. He came in one night to review us on a particularly bad night.....lots of flight delays, place was packed unexpectedly.....the stuff of restaurant nightmares!

As expected, we got a horrendous review. It was a night I was not there. (I'm not saying the outcome would have been any different...sometimes it's just one of those nights.) So a few weeks later, he came back in. I'm not sure why....he wasn't getting on a plane. Maybe it was to see if he'd gotten his review right. I never did ask. :wacko:

Sort of a surly man....sour. Like he never expects to be pleasantly surprised in life. Until you got to know him. I don't think he expected anyone to recognize him. Instead of acting like I didn't know him so maybe we could change his mind under subterfuge....I walked right over to him at the hostess stand and said, "Returning to the scene of the crime...eh?" And smiled. I took his arm and said, "Come into the lounge....let me show you how we really do it around here." He had a wonderful dinner, chatting and telling me about his family. Over coffee he said, "I can't change the review at this point" and I said, "Did I ask you to?" I just wanted him to see that sometimes....first impressions aren't always the most accurate. He became somewhat of a regular after that night for years. And agreed with most of my regulars that is WAS the best kept secret in Columbus....lol.

So kudos to his son for not judging a book.....etc. :lol:

And good luck Ted! :tup:

Hey I got alot of talent too!!! Maybe I will lose my job and family to drugs and alcohol and hold up a sign on the corner so I can land my dream job!!!!

he should'nt be praised.....what about his wife and kids and the back child support and alimony he chose to ignore for 17 yrs??? :wacko:

I find it great that he may clean up his act but I have the funny feeling he will be hitting the bottle and crack pipe when he gets a few bucks in the bank

I do truly hope you are wrong on this, but there certainly is a danger.

And rest assured if it happens, the media will be just as rabid to document his tragic fall, as his miraculous rise.

Edited by cre8tiff

A viral video vaulted Ted Williams and his golden voice to fame, but the real hero of this story is the woman he left behind.

Patricia Kirtley raised four daughters alone after Williams split 23 years ago and dove down the rabbit hole of drugs.

Not only that, Kirtley took in the baby boy the radioman had with another woman and raised him as her own.

Oh, and by the way, she's partially blind.

"We survived," Kirtley said Thursday in Reynoldsburg, Ohio. "My children are survivors. They know if we get a little bit that God provides, we make it into a lot. I'm a soup maker. I make potato soup and throw in a lot of vegetables and a little meat. We always ate."

Except that Williams, who seems to be a nice guy, just wasn't strong, wasn't around and wasn't contributing financially.

http://nation.foxnews.com/culture/2011/01/...e-go-all-along#

and the rest of that story:

Kirtley had to go on the dole. "I still remember my case number," she says ruefully. She eventually went to school and got licensed as a blind vendor.

"My mother and sisters pitched in and drove me because I can't see to drive," said Kirtley, now 58, over a din of some of her 16 grandchildren playing.

As if that weren't enough, Kirtley said two of her sisters and a cousin each took in a child Williams and his druggie girlfriend couldn't, or wouldn't, care for.

"I didn't want to see those children in no foster home," she said.

Exactly. It's an all-too-familiar story to the strong members of poor communities - usually women. They are the ones who must provide the backbone, as well as the hugs, for children whose parents get hooked on drugs.

Williams called once in a while, and Kirtley would hear that baritone voice she fell in love with at first sound. They stayed friendly, and he might come for Thanksgiving dinner, but otherwise, he would remain AWOL.

Daughter Julia Pullien, 30, said she was 7 when Williams left.

"He wasn't involved," she said. "Our mom was our sole provider. She is a more than phenomenal person. My father is a nice guy, but he fell victim to the streets. We prayed for him and we worried about him, but we became accustomed to the fact that he just wasn't there."

Kirtley said the kids felt some resentment.

"They didn't understand why he was never there for their school functions, or just to help with their homework," she said.

"That's when I really could have used help, because I couldn't see their pages. My kids are really good readers, though, because I made them read everything to me out loud."

They're grown now, with jobs and kids of their own.

Maybe Williams can redeem himself personally as well as professionally.

Maybe he can be there for his grandchildren in ways he could not for his kids.

Still, all the credit must go to Kirtley, the woman who truly deserves the fame her ex has been getting the past few days.

I never thought I'd live to see the day when RRJ posted a story about a "welfare queen" being a hero. Now THAT is a miracle.

less than a week later.....this clown has already been detained by police for domjestic disturbance at a hotel in CA......I give him another month and then hes back to the streets, forgotten about his kids again, his wife, and sadly his mother.....

The guy did seem a bit erratic on the Today show.

I doubt this latest development gets nearly as much play as last week's feel-good coverage. The media likes heroes and villains -- the untidy shades of gray don't sell.

the only "good news" about the coverage of the AZ shooting is that we do not have to hear about this guy anymore. I mean, all these people are using this guy for their own publicity. Kraft, the Cavs etc. If he was not getting a job or on the web, would he have returned to his mother and child? NO.

less than a week later.....this clown has already been detained by police for domjestic disturbance at a hotel in CA......I give him another month and then hes back to the streets, forgotten about his kids again, his wife, and sadly his mother.....

He just checked himself into a rehab center for his drinking problems.

• 2 weeks later...

So thought provoking what stories like these remind us of. Can you imagine being homeless and given this shot to throw it way?

I hope stories like these give toast makers like det the knowledge that life can be harder than we make of it.

Good luck Ted, I will be rooting for you!