[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do the right thing...

SEC=UGA

It was in Ohio, so I'm not exactly clear on how things work up there.

In GA, what we have are "must transfer schools" where if your child is zoned for a particular school, say in Cobb County, and said school doesn't meet certain academic standards then the parents have the option of transferring the child to another school, within the county of residence, of their choice. They must, however, provide transportation to and from school for the child or arrange to drop them off and pick them up at a designated school bus stop served by the new school.

As I have said I know people who have used a friends or parents address to make sure their kids were in a better school district and only know of one who was caught. The children were simply transferred back to their local school.

Sorry, I forgot it was OH. It still doesn't make sense to me. That differential just for one kid is far more than my entire annual property tax bill.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She broke the law. It's 10 lousy days in jail. I think that is getting off light for the filing of knowingly false documents.

I'm not sure what you mean by a different moral standard.

I think the different moral standard he is referring to is that she got sent to jail, while illegals which by law can't have a legal residence send their kids to our schools all the time without penalty.

Sorry, I forgot it was OH. It still doesn't make sense to me. That differential just for one kid is far more than my entire annual property tax bill.

It said daughters which indicates two or more, and it said she had been doing it for four years, not a single year.

I think they were trying to set an example. It may have to do with the total cost per pupil per year, including the state portion of the funding (which shouldn't be considered in th whole nut she owes). Because, as you say, ain't no way any normal person is paying 15K a year in property taxes on the "average" house.

I think the different moral standard he is referring to is that she got sent to jail, while illegals which by law can't have a legal residence send their kids to our schools all the time without penalty.

You want the Department of Education or my local school district to enforce immigration law?

I don't see what this chick lying to the school district has to do with illegal Mexicans.

Yeah, so $7,500 for two girls for a year. That is well over double my entire property tax.

Here districts get some of their money from property tax, but also get some of their money from the state based on attendance. Like the link I posted said the average cost per pupil per year in Ohio is over $10,000. It is possible that the district she lives in has very modest property taxes, and the district that she sent her kids to has very high property taxes or has property values that are extremely high. Additionally there are number of people that do not have kids of school age or send their kids to private schools that still pay taxes. My guess is they charged fined her the cost per pupil per year that she cheated the district.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

It was one of the worst laws Texas has written in a long time. It stated that:

Like most social engineering programs it has had dire unintended consequences which out way the benefits:

Yeah, people think changes in tax rates just happen in a vacuum. I had a boss like that - he owned a sizeable vending company in NE metro ATL. He raised drink prices from $.50 to $.60 one Monday and didn't understand why he didn't sell just as many that week. Granted, a dime won't keep me from a Coke, but some people just won't buy. This guy couldn't understand that. Also, I think a 6-pack was $.99- $1.25 at the time.

You want the Department of Education or my local school district to enforce immigration law?

I don't see what this chick lying to the school district has to do with illegal Mexicans.

SEC was complaining about his happening to this woman, while basically every illegal alien is doing the same thing because they can not have a legal residence.

Not if they live in-district

How can an illegal alien have legal residence in district? If the mother has legal custody, and lives in another district, and the father gets partial custody on the weekends, they kids have to go to the district their mother lives in because that is their legal residence. An illegal alien can not have a legal residence because they are here illegally.

Why don't we move school funding to the state level so all schools are equal?

In our suburban county, we just built a Taj Mahal of high schools complete with a wasted 3-story fully glass atrium when you walk in and a basketball court bigger than most small colleges while the city of Richmond is reusing cardboard boxes as desks.

This is another case of NIMBY. Everyone wants great schools, but they really want their school to be better by keeping their money as local as possible.

Actually it would be the complete reverse of NIMBY.

How can an illegal alien have legal residence in district? If the mother has legal custody, and lives in another district, and the father gets partial custody on the weekends, they kids have to go to the district their mother lives in because that is their legal residence. An illegal alien can not have a legal residence because they are here illegally.

You are making this much more complicated than it really is. Nobody at the schools asks you to prove you are a legal US resident, they ask you to prove you live in-district, that your immunizations are current and you meet the age requirements. You can be illegal and do that without lying to the school district or filing false documents.

You are making this much more complicated than it really is. Nobody at the schools asks you to prove you are a legal US resident, they ask you to prove you live in-district, that your immunizations are current and you meet the age requirements. You can be illegal and do that without lying to the school district or filing false documents.

I remember when I was a kid you also had to bring your birth certificate when enrolling in school. I guess you no longer need that thing for anything anymore.

I remember when I was a kid you also had to bring your birth certificate when enrolling in school. I guess you no longer need that thing for anything anymore.

I don't know.

All I know is that my daughter's prinicpal is busy enough that the burden of immigration reform should not fall on her shoulders.

The doctors giving childhood immunizations to illegals and the children of illegals.

I agree, though I think it should fall on everyone. Employers, as well as people that provide them service, and of course the one entity that is really supposed to do something about it but is afraid to, the freaking federal government.

We have Open enrollment in Minnesota. She wouldn't have to go to jail to bring her kids to a school of her choice here. Where I live, schools recruit kids to go to their schools. Kids open enroll in hopes of more playing time in basketball or football. Those schools will send their buses 20 miles into other school districts to pick a family of kids up. Yes, it's very economical.

Maybe, just maybe, we could privatize ALL schools and open up schools to competition. This would have a few valuable affects on our schools, the first of which would be more of a free market approach that would offer freedom of choice for the students and parents.

This is what needs to be done, but it will never happen.