[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Garage Floor

rocknrobn26

The house we have is 30yo. The garage floor is awful. It was never sealed. Spalling, concrete dust, voids, etc.. I know there are companies that will do the epoxy thing, but I don't think that will cover voids very well. Not to mention it's like $900. Is there a slurry or some such that can be done? If so how much? Will it last?

Any suggs appreciated.

TIA

rr26

The house we have is 30yo. The garage floor is awful. It was never sealed. Spalling, concrete dust, voids, etc.. I know there are companies that will do the epoxy thing, but I don't think that will cover voids very well. Not to mention it's like $900. Is there a slurry or some such that can be done? If so how much? Will it last?

Any suggs appreciated.

TIA

rr26

I don't know much on this but you would think the epoxy would fill the voids and if it doesn't maybe they do a floor prep and then epoxy.

At our old house the garage floor was badly cracked and settled. Sledge hammer and a long bar and a Saturday it was gone. Luckily our town at the time would accept unlimited old concrete. For $25 in gas they parked a dump truck in our driveway for the weekend.

Then we had a new floored poured and that was that. I think around a grand total but that was a 1.5 car garage.

At our old house the garage floor was badly cracked and settled. Sledge hammer and a long bar and a Saturday it was gone. Luckily our town at the time would accept unlimited old concrete. For $25 in gas they parked a dump truck in our driveway for the weekend.

Then we had a new floored poured and that was that. I think around a grand total but that was a 1.5 car garage.

1- RR is retired and put his time in with the mexican jackhammer

2- Your's was toast & RR's sounds cosmetic

3- Good for you tacklin that , everyone should have ta do that once

4- How old are you?

:wacko:

My dad tiled his garage floor checkerboard (weird on the eyes at first). I thought they would be slick, but the tiles he got were linoleum and are soft and spongy and are not slick at all - and the tires do not mark it up at all.

Probably VCT, not linoleum. Though, I could be very wrong.

The industrial epoxy is expensive, VERY nice, and should handle the imperfections. Ask them for a quote and what their warranty is and if covers the issues you have from recurring. I had this done at work in the cafeteria area for 3 buildings and with the heavy traffic, grease, and detergents it has held up extremely well. They even do a grit in the epoxy for traction along with going about 1-2" up the wall for splash resistance.

They do make a few things that you could use. You could put a top coat on the concrete after they go through and fill in the cracks. I'm not sure how extensive the damage is, but there are many options. Find a concrete guy and get him out there. They should be able to give you a few options.

yeah, it is like linoleum without the gloss. I painted the garage floor in our last house, it was easy. I will probably do it at our current house. First, I am gonna paint the baseboards and trim, though. I already painted the walls. My hold up is that I want to re-do the cabinets and storage in the garage.

Alot of the Corvette guys I know have used the VCT with good results. This is probably what I'm going to do my 3-car garage in whenever I get around to that project. It's easy to work with and semi-affordable.

I like the Armstrong stone look. :wacko:

Any suggs appreciated.

TIA

rr26

I believe you are thinking of a self-leveling floor resurfacer. Gotta tell ya RR....sort of daunting to do by yourself on a space as large as a 2-car garage. You'll never be able to mix it fast enough in batches by yourself to continue and have it marry into the previous pour. Even on the package they recommend a mechanical pump method for that large an area.

And honestly, you don't want your garage floor perfectly level. There should either be a slight slope to a drain or out the garage door.

You could probably handle doing the polymer-fortified Concrete Resurfacer applied with a squeegie on a space that large. I'd still have a friend mixing the next batch while your squeegie a batch. And you might be able to do it in stages, one half of the garage or even a quarter at a time etc....and still get good results. If you want to make it even easier, clean the bad spots and just use this product on those spots, feathering into the existing floor.

Couple things about this product....it saves you the step of painting on a concrete adhesive. The polymers allow it to stick well to cleaned concrete as long as it's not loose. Do not use their recommendation of using 'quick setting concrete' for deeper spots underneath, unless you are willing to let that cure a month before using the resurfacer. The quick setting stuff will soak up water like a sponge, bubble and crack everything if you don't let it cure first. And I mean a hard cure. Especially if it's done on a surface subject to water and freezing.

Then maybe a month after the resurfacer, you could do a roll on epoxy yourself!

Gotta tell ya though, the resurfacer and enough epoxy for that garage could set you back about $300. With time and labor...that $900 doesn't look too bad.

Thanks for the info.

FWIW, there is no way I would or could do any of the bull work. Hard to justify $1K for something that is covered by the cars most of the time.

I like the idea of the tiles and/or the epoxy, but the price would have to include moving 2 tool benches, and assorted cabinets around.

One last question...Who does one contact to have those tiles installed? I'm assuming not a flooring store. Correct?

1- RR is retired and put his time in with the mexican jackhammer

2- Your's was toast & RR's sounds cosmetic

3- Good for you tacklin that , everyone should have ta do that once

4- How old are you?

Well he said awful...I called mine awful. Gandolf the Grey actually fought the Belroq to his death in one of my garage floor cracks.

Well he said awful...I called mine awful. Gandolf the Grey actually fought the Belroq to his death in one of my garage floor cracks.

I guess "awful" is in the eye of the beholder.

You could probably handle doing the polymer-fortified Concrete Resurfacer applied with a squeegie on a space that large. I'd still have a friend mixing the next batch while your squeegie a batch. And you might be able to do it in stages, one half of the garage or even a quarter at a time etc....and still get good results. If you want to make it even easier, clean the bad spots and just use this product on those spots, feathering into the existing floor.

Couple things about this product....it saves you the step of painting on a concrete adhesive. The polymers allow it to stick well to cleaned concrete as long as it's not loose. Do not use their recommendation of using 'quick setting concrete' for deeper spots underneath, unless you are willing to let that cure a month before using the resurfacer. The quick setting stuff will soak up water like a sponge, bubble and crack everything if you don't let it cure first. And I mean a hard cure. Especially if it's done on a surface subject to water and freezing.

Then maybe a month after the resurfacer, you could do a roll on epoxy yourself!

Gotta tell ya though, the resurfacer and enough epoxy for that garage could set you back about $300. With time and labor...that $900 doesn't look too bad.

hawt