[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Students Expelled

SEC=UGA

Why would it be different to you being fired from your job for some transgression? Your connection to the workplace (and theirs to their school) does not end as soon as you leave the grounds.

I tend to agree with you if their transgression is violent in nature, as it could risk the other children. Having said that your analogy has some problems. First the federal government does not require you to have a job (and in many cases rewards you for not having one :wacko:) , but it does require all children to be educated. Second if you get fired from your job you can still get another job either in your field or another field, so that does not prevent you from working. If your child is expelled from school, and can not afford to send your children to private schools then your child is no longer getting the federally mandated education. So, now your child is being denied federally mandated education, and you still have to pay your taxes whether directly or indirectly for that education, and you can not afford to send your kid to private school. This is just one more reason why we should have a voucher system for private schools to give parents choice, as well as alternatives in situations like this.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Very interesting. It seems that all of the posters here feel that the school should have no boundaries in being able to discipline a child for infractions?

I wouldn't say "no boundaries".....of course there is a limit But suspension/expulsion for infractions that publicly humiliate their educators, and could severely impact the level of respect its teachers deserve? You bet. Theoretically, there could be some sort of lawsuit by the teacher/school against the students for slander...a slap-on-the-wrist suspension seems lame in comparison. Expulsion seems harsher, but is a more appropriate middle-ground.

Is there that much of a difference these days between verbally abusing someone, and posting those same slanderous comments on the internet for everyone to see? Not really.

If your child is expelled from school, and can not afford to send your children to private schools then your child is no longer getting the federally mandated education. So, now your child is being denied federally mandated education, and you still have to pay your taxes whether directly or indirectly for that education, and you can not afford to send your kid to private school. This is just one more reason why we should have a voucher system for private schools to give parents choice, as well as alternatives in situations like this.

well no, if a child is expelled, his school district is required to edjumacate him or her.

Some of you guys are making this too complicated.

As I see it, a school cannot condone a student publicly disparaging a teacher. Respect is the cornerstone of a teacher-student relationship, so allowing public disrepect to go unpunished is not an option.

There is no question that these students publicly disparaged their teachers. So I think the issue is the extent of the punishment.

Its a different issue entirely if Little Johnny tweeted (or whatever) that his unaffiliated with the school neighbor is a pedophile.

Edited by Furd

How about a lawsuit? Is that better?

No. I don't think a lawsuit is better.

I think many forget what it is like to be 12-13 years old. Just about every kid that age does something stupid and utilizes poor judgment. These kids certainly did and had no idea of the ramifications of their actions.

If I were principal, I would have suspended them and if I were the parent, I would support the suspension. I think that expulsion is too harsh for a first offense. I certainly think a lawsuit is too harsh.

I think many forget what it is like to be 12-13 years old. Just about every kid that age does something stupid and utilizes poor judgment. These kids certainly did and had no idea of the ramifications of their actions.

If I were principal, I would have suspended them and if I were the parent, I would support the suspension. I think that expulsion is too harsh for a first offense. I certainly think a lawsuit is too harsh.

+100

I remember when I was about that age, my friends and I snuck out one night and rolled (or TP'ed depending on where you grew up) a fellow students house and wrote some insensitive remarks with shaving cream in various places. One of the more regretful and shameful acts I have done in my life. Anyway, we wound up getting caught. Looking back, we realized how stupid and hurtful it was. We knew it was wrong (at that age you do know right from wrong) but we never considered the ramifications of those actions. It was our experience with being "bad" and the "rush" of trying to get away with something I think that drove us.

I can only imagine if this was a facility member of my school. Should I have been expelled for it? Should the coach have blackballed me and not let me get a football scholarship to a university? Sorry, that last part was from a movie...anyway. That could have changed my life forever in a negative way.

IMO, this was way to harsh a penalty.

Edited by millerx

I agree.