[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nuclear Plume to hit SoCal late Friday

tazinib1

I have no link, but just heard it on the local news. Nuclear plume from explosion in Japan is making its way across the waters. No serious medical threat (or so they say) but I have to wonder what affects it could have on agriculture.

but I have to wonder what affects it could have on agriculture.

Seriously?

While they are facing a concern on a nuclear crisis everything is pretty fluid and nothing seems to be a nuclear disaster at this point. We completely decimated parts of that country 70 years ago with radiation and now we are concerned with how our agriculture will suffer because their reactors suffered some damage? You ought to be more concerned about the Hanford nuclear reservation in Washington state. That and the fact California having an agriculture industry at the present rate is completely unsustainable (and always has been) without a more robust natural water supply.

Seriously?

While they are facing a concern on a nuclear crisis everything is pretty fluid and nothing seems to be a nuclear disaster at this point. We completely decimated parts of that country 70 years ago with radiation and now we are concerned with how our agriculture will suffer because their reactors suffered some damage? You ought to be more concerned about the Hanford nuclear reservation in Washington state. That and the fact California having an agriculture industry at the present rate is completely unsustainable (and always has been) without a more robust natural water supply.

:wacko:

That's an entirely different thread.

As far as the water is concerned, we are paying good tax payer money to import that stuff from the Colorado River mister.

:wacko:

That's an entirely different thread.

As far as the water is concerned, we are paying good tax payer money to import that stuff from the Colorado River mister.

You probably also pay good taxes on the water supply that Mulholland (an immigrant) stole from Owens Valley that makes its way via an aqueduct. But neither of those give you guys enough water today. And that doesn't even touch the issues further north in Kern County and the San Joaquin Valley.

Maybe you should lobby to pay taxes on the volume of water after LA that discharges into the ocean. Because 99% of the time it's barely a trickle.

Edited by bushwacked

We completely decimated parts of that country 70 years ago with radiation

this isn't quite true. Yes, the atomic bombs decimated Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but it was the explosive force of them that did so rather than the radiation. The radiation levels in both cities were high for only a short period of time (the radiation was 90% gone after one week and by one year, radiation levels were back to normal).

The fear mongering and sensationalistic reporting has gone beyond epic, or even funny. Cooper Anderson said tonight that "They are literally fighting for their lives." regarding the workers who are taking shifts at the reactors. What a lying dirt bag. Some of these idiots are still pimping the idea it WILL become a level 7 event.

The fear mongering and sensationalistic reporting has gone beyond epic, or even funny. Cooper Anderson said tonight that "They are literally fighting for their lives." regarding the workers who are taking shifts at the reactors. What a lying dirt bag. Some of these idiots are still pimping the idea it WILL become a level 7 event.

The nuclear variation on "if it bleeds, it leads" - "if people are glowin', it's gonna be shown"

Edited by Chavez

They may not be fighting for their lives but they are definitely putting themselves in a position where they may sacrifice their lives trying to contain this mess. There is so little real information coming out on the details of where things stand in the plant it's hard to say.

I did see a report that one worker was dismissed because he'd received twice the annual maximum radiation that would be allowed for US workers. That's not a big deal and not really life threatening if that's the worst case. The problem is that they can't get close enough to really work on anything without getting a lot of radiation.

Sure, its sensationalism but it's a real story.

I couldn't agree more. After the earthquake and Tsunami I remember watching the new and thinking 'Hey, they are doing a great job at just reporting the event itself' but then all of the typical media crap started coming in. Yes, having a nuclear power plant on the verge of a meltdown is not a good thing and should be in the news but it isn't this end of the world scenario they are making it out to be. Let's take a look a cynobal for example. It is the only level 7 event that has occurred. It was a major disaster where an entire city had to be evacuated, the forest around the reactor in a 5 mile radius died off and a radioactive plume passed over parts of europe. Yet only 38 deaths occurred at the plant and a possible 288 to 298 others died years later from cancer. I'm not minimizing the deaths of these people but let's put in to perspective the potential deaths from a meltdown verse the known deaths already from the earthquake and Tsunami.

The media isn't focusing on the right part of the story.

I couldn't agree more. After the earthquake and Tsunami I remember watching the new and thinking 'Hey, they are doing a great job at just reporting the event itself' but then all of the typical media crap started coming in. Yes, having a nuclear power plant on the verge of a meltdown is not a good thing and should be in the news but it isn't this end of the world scenario they are making it out to be. Let's take a look a cynobal for example. It is the only level 7 event that has occurred. It was a major disaster where an entire city had to be evacuated, the forest around the reactor in a 5 mile radius died off and a radioactive plume passed over parts of europe. Yet only 38 deaths occurred at the plant and a possible 288 to 298 others died years later from cancer. I'm not minimizing the deaths of these people but let's put in to perspective the potential deaths from a meltdown verse the known deaths already from the earthquake and Tsunami.

The media isn't focusing on the right part of the story.

I heard somewhere that they are there have been studies, and that they are rethinking whether or not the people around Chernobyl should have been evacuated. Apparently the study showed that had they let the people stayed it would of only increased their chances of getting cancer by less than 2%. There is some question if mandatory evacuation should be required, that some people would rather take the risk on the extra 2% than the financial disadvantages of having to leave all their property and what not.

If you dig beyond the headlines you'll find that the expected level of radiation reaching some parts of our west coast will be the equivalent of taking a flight from LA to CHI and far less than you'd get taking a typical chest x-ray. One-billionth times below any health danger level.

Sure, the workers are taking risks, but I'd be beyond shocked it they weren't being tested for exposure, didn't know personally how much exposure they have recieved, and then get pulled once it nears a level that could be very harmful. They are hardly fighting for their lives.

next up on CNN:

People cooking hot dogs on the beach in CA with no fire... radiation?