[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NCAA Tourney Talk

Cunning Runt

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barkley has been right about a lot of games in the past ten days or so (Kentucky against OSU), Arizona against Duke, etc.), but he's still a buffoon. I think he's going to go 0-2 today... Butler's experience gets them by VCU in a close game, and Kemba gets it done against the Wildcats.

Butler-UConn in the final on Monday night.

What Butler has done this year (considering what they did LAST year) has been ridiculous, yet it is somehow lost behind VCU's amazing run. I really wish these two teams were on opposite sides of the bracket... I would have very little trouble cheering for them both.

Butler starts off as their typical fundamentally sound selves, then VCU knocks down a few three's, as they have been doing all tournament long. My gut feeling was simple... VCU's run has been all about knocking down the 3-pointer at a rate much higher than they did all year long. Butler's run simply proves that last year was no fluke. Their success is based on minimizing mistakes and playing stellar team defense. If I had to pick, I'd say those things are more likely to continue than VCU's hot shooting, but I could be wrong.

If VCU stays hot, that changes things. Of course, they also could just prove to be the quicker, stronger, and/or more athletic team. I just don't think that will be the case, considering Butler has proven several teams (who thought the same thing) wrong, over the past five games.

Two things that I heard today, that really stuck out in my mind:

1) The Colonial Athletic Conference (VCU, George Mason, Old Dominion) is 7-2 against the ACC and Big East, in the NCAA tournament, over the past five seasons. :wacko:

2) 1400 people from Matt Howard's hometown (Connersville, IN) came to his final home game at Butler. That's over 10% of the entire population. :tup:

Both of those things are amazing to me.

Sorry..kinda out of the loop here. But am I right thinking Butler is now in back to back championship games? That's pretty damned impressive.

You're right.

They got beat by Duke last year and actually had a half-court buzzer beater bounce off the board then the rim (literally missed by maybe 1 inch) that would have won the game.

Very impressive stuff for sure.

Barkley has been right about a lot of games in the past ten days or so (Kentucky against OSU), Arizona against Duke, etc.), but he's still a buffoon. I think he's going to go 0-2 today... Butler's experience gets them by VCU in a close game, and Kemba gets it done against the Wildcats.

Butler-UConn in the final on Monday night.

First time all tournament that I got two games correct in a row. Should be a fun final, and I'm not so sure Butler is the underdog any more.

Outside of UConn's fans, I'm not sure how/why anyone wouldn't be pulling for Butler tonight. I hope they can find a way to get it done, one more time. To think that they were basically eliminated against Pitt, if not for one of the worst fouls ever (after a pretty bad foul right before that), is pretty crazy.

Funny... When the brackets first came out, I penciled in what I thought would be the results. Had Ohio State, Kansas, UConn, and Old Dominion in the Final Four. Didn't really particularly like any of the other teams in the SE region (Pitt, Florida, BYU, etc.). Why does that matter? Well, it really doesn't. But, Old Dominion has a couple of close ties to this Final Four... They beat VCU in their conference final, and lost to Butler on a buzzer-beater in the first round. Does that mean ODU would be in the Final, had they beaten Butler? Of course not. But, it's just another example (among many) of how much luck is involved in picking a good or bad bracket. Sometimes, one game (or one play) can make a huge difference. In Butler's case, that's happened in a couple of their games. They seem to be a team of destiny. They could have been easily knocked out in rounds 1 and 2, yet here they are again... Playing for a NC for the second year in a row.

The same can be said for UConn... What they've done is amazing. It's pretty rare that a relatively low seed wins the Big East tourney AND does well in the NCAA tournament. To do THIS well is something I've never seen before. In other words, usually, if a team cruises through the Big East AND makes the Final Four, they're one of the top teams in the country (in the rankings). To do that as the Big East 8-seed, with three freshmen starting, is pretty crazy.

One other thing... I'm not sure anyone will do what VCU did this year (get to the Final Four after having to win the play-in game), any time soon, but I do think it's going to be more and more common for us to see "mid-majors" do well in the tournament. Barkley made another good point the other night... The advantage that the nation's top programs have, in terms of talent, is somewhat negated by the fact that they don't get to play together for as long as the smaller schools do. Typical example tonight... One team has the best player (arguably) in the country, but he's playing with three freshman. The other team has proven, time and time again, that they simply play better team basketball/defense than their opponents. And, more importantly, they're mostly upperclassmen that have played together for 2-4 years. Which will prevail? I think it will be close, but I've picked against Butler too many times to do so again tonight.

Should be fun. :wacko: