[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Parents protest student with severe peanut allergy

kpholmes

:wacko:

This story just makes me sad.

It's sickening to me that parents are protesting a six year old girl.

I understand there are two sides to this, and that what the kids at the school are going through is not customary or ideal - but if anything enforcing hand washing and mouth rinsing is something these parents should be thanking the school for.

In an ideal world, we would be reading a news story about a community that has made an effort to be supportive for this little girl and her family, and are willing to do whatever it takes to help her have as normal of a childhood as possible. This family has enough to deal with on a daily basis without the town trying to run them out of school. Just sad in my opinion.

This is a good column

I've mentioned before that my 6-year-old daughter has severe peanut and nut allergies. The schools around here have all had to adjust their policies to accommodate kids with severe food allergies. In our circle of friends, we know at least a half-dozen kids with severe food allergies. Our philosophy is that we don't have control over what other people do, no matter whether they have the best of intentions (the first day of school, after repeated assurances that the classroom was nut-free, the PTA served a continental breakfast, including glazed doughnuts with peanuts). We've taught our daughter what she's allowed and not allowed to eat. She knows to ask about ingredients and warning labels. She carries Epi-pens and Benadryl with her everywhere. We don't consider it burdensome when the school asks parents to keep the classroom nut-free, but some people object to being told what they're allowed to give their kids. It sucks. But we've also dealt with parents at the other end of the spectrum -- they have kids with severe food allergies and keep their kids in a bubble, afraid to let them do anything or go anywhere. If neither side is reasonable, everyone will be unhappy.

I just don't understand why people would piss & moan about this. Both my daughters had kids in their classes with peanut allergies. I never thought it unreasonable to watch what we packed our kids for their lunches.

I recall a time when my nephew (my sister's son) would refuse to eat anything other than peanut butter sandwiches...to the point of making himself sick and not eating at all. He was like 4 or 5 at the time. He just about wouldn't eat anything else. This lasted for a few months.

I don't post this to sympathize with people protesting a 6 year old girl. I just post it for perspective.

My niece (my brother's daughter) has peanut allergies. This became a point of contention at family gatherings. My brother's family was not understanding of why my sister insisted on giving her son peanut butter around their daughter, and my sister was not understanding of why they were so concerned. It was kind of a no win situation for everyone at the time.

You never know what someone's angle is in a situation like this.

I recall a time when my nephew (my sister's son) would refuse to eat anything other than peanut butter sandwiches...to the point of making himself sick and not eating at all. He was like 4 or 5 at the time. He just about wouldn't eat anything else. This lasted for a few months.

I don't post this to sympathize with people protesting a 6 year old girl. I just post it for perspective.

My niece (my brother's daughter) has peanut allergies. This became a point of contention at family gatherings. My brother's family was not understanding of why my sister insisted on giving her son peanut butter around their daughter, and my sister was not understanding of why they were so concerned. It was kind of a no win situation for everyone at the time.

Your sister sounds like a selfish idiot.

Here is the thing little Johnny, if you don't want to eat anything other than peanut butter, then you are just not going to get to eat at this family gathering--deal with it.

Edited by wiegie

Some people don't realize how dangerous it is for those who have peanut allergies. My wife is severly allegric to peanuts. If I use any peanut butter I have to wash the knife right away and clean the up counter area. Kids eat and get the food all over them, just think if a child eating a PB & J sandwich gets it all over him/her and then plays with the child thats allergic. Could be tragic.

Your sister sounds like a selfish idiot.

Here is the thing little Johnny, if you don't want to eat anything other than peanut butter, then you are just not going to get to eat at this family gathering--deal with it.

She tried that. He would not eat and make himself sick. Perhaps you missed that part of the post.

Thanks for being your own doooshie self, though.

She tried that. He would not eat and make himself sick. Perhaps you missed that part of the post.

Thanks for being your own doooshie self, though.

not really being Showtime Rotisserieie. you let the kid get sick a few times and then give him a carrot.

I understand the responses that the sister should have given her son something else, but it's not black and white. There are people who would argue that the parents of the allergic kid were wrong for bringing their child to a place where they knew there'd be peanut butter. I'm not one of them, but I know plenty who are.

not really being Showtime Rotisserieie. you let the kid get sick a few times and then give him a carrot.

Really, is that all it takes? I'm sure she didn't think of that... :wacko:

Mom's love to let their kids scream and make themselves ill to make a point about what the kid should eat. I see it all the time. Works like a charm. :tup:

Actually, most moms I know are thrilled to pieces when they can get their kids (the ones who are picky eaters) to eat at all. Not having kids, and even if I did, not having someone else's kids, I just try not to judge them in their situation.

I understand the responses that the sister should have given her son something else, but it's not black and white. There are people who would argue that the parents of the allergic kid were wrong for bringing their child to a place where they knew there'd be peanut butter. I'm not one of them, but I know plenty who are.

You are getting towards the heart of it here. This isn't about my sister being selfish. We are having a family get together for fun, celebration, to see each other, whatever. If my sister can't feed her son in a manner that's not going to cause an outburst, then we all have to deal with that outburst. There goes the fun in getting together and/or her showing up at all.

If my Brother's daughter gets ill because of something that happened, or there's a significant risk of that happening, then we all have to deal with that situation. There goes the fun in getting together and/or his showing up at all.

It's not a black and white issue. It's something that just stood in the way of having a fun family occasion until she could get him out of that phase. And she did. It just took some time.

so after Easter, when little Timmy chows down on a couple of Reece's PB Eggs at recess and forgets to rinse his mouth before coming into class, and this little girl has to go to the ER after catching a whiff of Timmy's breath, do we charge him with reckless endangerment or assault? will the teacher be liable in civil court for the medical expenses due to her negligence?

i empathize with the girl and her family, and while i wish their lives were not affected by this condition, home-schooling seems like the best option.

You are getting towards the heart of it here. This isn't about my sister being selfish. We are having a family get together for fun, celebration, to see each other, whatever. If my sister can't feed her son in a manner that's not going to cause an outburst, then we all have to deal with that outburst. there goes the fun in getting together and/or her showing up at all.

really? you sure that wasn't a reasonable alternative for your sister to be able to load the kid up on a couple sandwiches prior to arriving, then giving him some of his favorite snacks to eat during the gathering to tide him over? And if he absolutely had to eat something, she couldn't have taken him outside to the car for a "fun picnic" to eat a pre-made PB&J sandwich? Would this really have been a hardship for her if she truly was interested in making her allergic nephew's life a tad easier, if only for a day?

Sorry CN, but it seems she was stubbornly holding her own on this easy-to-solve issue.

so after Easter, when little Timmy chows down on a couple of Reece's PB Eggs at recess and forgets to rinse his mouth before coming into class, and this little girl has to go to the ER after catching a whiff of Timmy's breath, do we charge him with reckless endangerment or assault? will the teacher be liable in civil court for the medical expenses due to her negligence?

i empathize with the girl and her family, and while i wish their lives were not affected by this condition, home-schooling seems like the best option.

Smelling the breath of someone who has just eaten peanuts would not cause an allergic reaction in the girl. But the larger issue is that these misconceptions are what fuel these types of disagreements. If you're a parent of school-age kids, it might be helpful to take 10 minutes to read up on food allergies. Even if your kid doesn't have any, there's a good chance he or she will befriend someone who does.

As for the home-schooling: Life-threatening food allergies is a problem this girl will likely have to deal with the rest of her life. I'm not sure that spending her formative years at home, essentially in a bubble, is the best solution. If my goal is raise a confident child who's able to understand that the world is filled with inherent risks and dangers that she won't be able to control, I can't do that by keeping her trapped at home all day.

People are generally selfish priks.

These people protesting are nuts!!

Doesn't this cut both ways in this instance? The parents of one individual are prevailing upon the majority of the students to not do something because it may adversely affect only their child. They would have the whole community change their eating and purchasing habits based solely upon the needs of one afflicted individual. Not only does this seemingly apply to their eating habits when around this girl, but it also is affecting their eating habits while at home, this girls affliction is intruding upon their lives. Just sayin....

On the other hand, I can see where the parents of the girl with a debilitating alergy are coming from, this is a lot more than a mere inconvenience for them, this is about the life and potential death of their child.

Is the protesting a bit too much, sure, I've never been a big fan of cabals of people, foaming at the mouth, spewing invective about things, it is base in its appearance and in its organization. But, at what point should one person's issues be the controlling factor for a larger group of people or society at large? Should we be forced to accommodate those with psuchological disorders who are prone to violent acts; 'Just stay away from Bobby, he might fly into a rage and beat the ever loving sh!t out of you." But hey, we gotta make room for Bobby in the public school system.

One may argue that the Bobby example is different because Bobby is a danger to the school community, he is an inconvenience to the other children. In the case of the little girl she is not going to commit acts of violence against the other students, but in this case as well, there is the possibility of harm to a child other than the girl with the allergies. Say a student doesn't wash up enough, or a new parent packs a lunch with food contaminated by peanut dust, would the child and his family who did this, should the little girl be affected, be open to a civil suit for negligence? Might the school system be open to a lawsuit?

Further, I do see how this could be a huge inconvenience to the other parents with regard to their shopping habits. The parents now have to be as concerned about what they purchase for their child's consumption as are the parents of the allergic child. They have to read EVERY box of granola bars, the have to comb every box of cookies, they have to read every label on each item that they buy and send to school with their child. This can also bring a financial hardship on the families of the other students, forcing them to purchase more expensive foods.

Either way, I feel sorry for the little girl who will have to go through life with such a horrible allergy. I am upset with the parents about maing a public spectacle of this issue by getting al frothy mouthed and lathered up. There are other more civil ways to make your opinion heard. I see and understand both sides of the argument, but for some reason feel that accommodating this one student at the expense of possibly hundreds is taking things a bit too far and the parents of the allergic girl may need to consider other options for educating their child. I sure as hell wouldn't place my daughter's welfare, were she afflicted like this, in the hands of a bunch of public school children, the children's parents and the teachers.

Really, is that all it takes? I'm sure she didn't think of that... :wacko:

Mom's love to let their kids scream and make themselves ill to make a point about what the kid should eat. I see it all the time. Works like a charm. :tup:

Actually, most moms I know are thrilled to pieces when they can get their kids (the ones who are picky eaters) to eat at all. Not having kids, and even if I did, not having someone else's kids, I just try not to judge them in their situation.

if your kid has devolved to the point where not getting a peanut butter sandwich consistenly causes an episode, you are not doing all that good a job at parenting. and if you have devolved to the point where you are willing to risk the well being of another family member to give jimmy his pb&j, then you are indeed a poor parent and selfish. stay home.

As for the home-schooling: Life-threatening food allergies is a problem this girl will likely have to deal with the rest of her life. I'm not sure that spending her formative years at home, essentially in a bubble, is the best solution. If my goal is raise a confident child who's able to understand that the world is filled with inherent risks and dangers that she won't be able to control, I can't do that by keeping her trapped at home all day.

Either (i) you're trying to goad a response, or (ii) you have a real clear grasp on what home-schooling is and what it is not.

With this logic, there'd have been no Star Trek 3.

I have asolutely no idea what you are talking about... and, actually I'm quite proud that I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.