[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yes, I'm lazy, but options change all the time

Big Country

Too lazy to search for past threads, plus with new options out seemingly every month, many of the past suggestions are likely obsolete.

Phone plans are up soon and my wife's blackberry is on the fritz, so she is excited to be getting a new phone soon. Not dependent on a Blackberry, but must be a Verizon phone as the account is run through a family business.

So, between the currently available options, what are some of the preferred phones out there. in addition to using the phone as an actual phone, she is a pretty heavy texter and facebooker from it, so decent camera is a plus. She prefers a keyboard as oppossed to all touchscreen, but that is not a complete breaking point.

So.. Droid, Iphone, Blackberry, the HTC whatever it;s called are all things different friends have suggested to her, so she is basically more confused than ever as to what she should do.

I turn to you, the collective Huddle mind, for reccomendations given her preferences.

I will be up for a phone soon to. I do a lot less texting and facebooking than she does, but do the majority of my e-mailing from the phone and so some light surfing, so a decent browser is a plus. I'm considering waiting for the iPhone 5 to be available, but not even sure I am sold on the iPhone as oppossed to the various other options.. so, suggestions for me as well, whether it be the same or different than the reccs for my wife are appreciated.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe the original Droid is offered anymore, but there are some pretty sweet on-line specials for the Droid 2 and X. You can even get an Iphone via Verizon now, if that's your thing.

Blackberries are like VCR's now. Obsolete, bulky and not so smart.

I got the Droid Incredible by HTC and love it. HTC has the Thunderbolt out now at 4G. The incredible doesn't have a separate keyboard but I have gotten used to it.

ETA: I will say that the battery life isn't the greatest on the Incredible, but if you aren't a HUGH texter it should be fine.

Edited by T_bone65

I got the Droid Incredible by HTC and love it. HTC has the Thunderbolt out now at 4G. The incredible doesn't have a separate keyboard but I have gotten used to it.

ETA: I will say that the battery life isn't the greatest on the Incredible, but if you aren't a HUGH texter it should be fine.

Just got the Thunderbolt 4g

:wacko:

"Droid" is a marketing line (Authorized by LucasFilm) specific to Motorola produced, Verizon supported series of smart phones that run on the Google-licensed open source mobile operating system, called "Android".

There are many many many options out there and it really and truly depends on what you want the phone to do.

for a funny comparison of iPhone to the Sprint EVO 4G (Same form factor and similar capabilities as the new Verizon HTC Thunderbolt) check out This.

***WARNING: devolves into a criticism of one-minded pursuit of iPhones, with F-Bombs***

There are a lot of great things about the iPhone and it has considerable following. Android based phones appeal to those in search of the bleeding edge of tech and the folks who want to tinker with their toys.

I have the Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate for Verizon, overall a great phone. The only issue I have is that Samsung and Verizon have been incredibly slow in providing updates to the phone as updates in the android technology have developed. HTC does a much better job of providing updates.

Another thing to keep in mind when it comes to the wide variety of android based phones. each manufacturer likes to put their own spin on the interface. Motorola has moto-blur, HTC has "HTC-sense", and Samsung does their own thing too. Take the time to play with the different interfaces, there may be one you like more.

On verizon I would recommend the Thunderbolt from HTC, the Samsung Fascinate, the Motorola Droid X, and the Motorola Droid2 global (if a full QWERTY keyboard is a requirement, this is your best option on verizon).

Make sure it's an iPhone.

Yeah, but why get the current one when the new one is only a few months away? Problem is, she really needs a phone now. Maybe if I like one of the android phones, I'll get that, give her my current phone and then switch out for the new iphone when it is supposed to come out later this year.

Yeah, but why get the current one when the new one is only a few months away?

Because the current one is still a great phone and the new one will have a ridiculously inflated price tag?

I get that a segment of the market always has to have the latest and greatest. I like to stay a generation behind, make sure all the bugs are worked out, and pay a fraction of what everyone else paid a year before. My wife and I each have iPhone 3's that we bought 2 years ago for $49 each, and they are great phones. I hope the 5 rumors are true, I'd like to upgrade us to 4's this year. The price will plummet once the 5 comes out.

One thing I didn't mention in a previous thread about smartphones is one big reason why I would consider an Android phone over an iPhone: Battery

No not the battery life, which will only last a full day or so on on either if you're not using constantly... But talk on the phone alot, use the GPS, or anything that runs or leaves the screen lit up, and it will die in no time (and degrade with every use regardless)...

With an iPhone, you have no other option but to put it on the charger and wait an hour+ for it to charge (IIRC, the battery cannot even be accessed without voiding your warranty). With an Android, you can get a second battery (just search for your phone and "OEM battery") and 3rd party charger online at Amazon for less than $50, and can always have a full one ready to go. It is truly awesome!

But if you do decide to get the iPhone, this is one more reason I'd opt for insurance, because batteries only serve 3 functions: charge, run, degrade

Edited by delusions of granduer

Saw today, Best Buy has the fascinate for 50 bucks on a 2 year contract. For what it's worth, best buy's warranty/replacement program is a lot better than Verizon's.

Really? I pay $6 or something like that for my warranty on my Droid and I could walk into a Verizon store, set my phone on the counter, take out a hammer and smash the crap out of it. New phone..no questions asked.

This is the exert from the Verizon total equipment coverage terms and conditions:

THIS SERVICE CONTRACT COVERS THE WIRELESS DEVICE ONLY AND NOT ITS ACCESSORIES OR BATTERY, INCLUDING THOSE CONTAINED WITHIN THE ORIGINAL PACKAGE.

IV. WHAT THIS WARRANTY OR SERVICE CONTRACT
DOES NOT COVER
:

A. Defects or damage resulting from use of the Product in other than its normal and customary manner;

B. Defects or damage from misuse, accident or neglect;

C. Defects or damage from improper testing, operation, maintenance, installation, adjustment or any alteration or modification of any kind;

D. Breakage or damage to antennas unless caused directly by defects in material or workmanship;

E. Products disassembled or repaired in such a manner as to adversely affect performance or prevent adequate inspection and testing to verify any warranty claim;

F. Products with labels removed or illegible serial numbers;

G. Defects or damage due to spills of or immersion in food or liquid;

H. Scratches on all plastic surfaces and externally exposed parts resulting from normal use; and/or

I. Damage resulting from normal wear and tear.

This is the Geek squad protection:

PLAN FEATURES

ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE FROM HANDLING

If you drop or spill on your mobile phone in the course of normal use, we’ll cover the cost of your repair.

NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR

This includes repair costs for normal wear and tear, including defects in materials or workmanship and failures due to dust, internal heat and humidity.

POWER SURGE REPAIR

We handle the repair costs for equipment failure due to a power surge or fluctuation.

BATTERY REPLACEMENT

We’ll replace your original battery once during the life of your plan if your original one goes kaput.

NO LEMON POLICY*

If your product requires four qualified repairs, you’ll receive a comparable replacement.

GOOD MAINTENANCE REWARD**

If your plan goes unused, get double the Reward Zone® program points on the original plan purchase price.

The accidental damage from handling is the big one; also on the battery, one free battery in the life of the phone is a pretty good deal.

ETA: you are better off just telling verizon you lost your phone, rather than go for a replacement based on malfunction/damage

Edited by Thunder Chicken