[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Elway and qb's in the draft

Chief

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's saying that if there was a Bradford or Luck in this draft, that we'd take them and dump Tebow. I tend to agree. We know that Orton is a good QB, but he ain't elite.

Maybe he's saying that if there is a Ryan Leaf or a JaMarcus Russell that DEN should drop Tebow for them. After all, they both were going to be elite QBs.

Det, I appreciate the effort, but I was really saying that Tebow isn't going to be good enough. I base this off of nothing but watching him play and listening to him talk. I guess stranger things have happened, although I can't think of any at the QB position, with I guess the possible exception of Tony Romo. I think the odds are very long that Tebow is anything better than "good" at best. He won't ever be intelligent enough or a good enough passer to make the playoffs consistently. He may make the playoffs a few times if you give him long enough, but reasonably, those would be the expectations. I'm not saying it is all that awful, but say he starts for 8 years. He sneaks into the playoffs twice, maybe three times in those 8 years, then you end up drafting a new QB. Haven't you essentially wasted 8 years since you're just going to draft another QB to take you to that next level anyways? I'd just assume do it now and get it over with.

That said, I don't know that it is possible to do it now. I don't think that QB is going to be available for them this season, so then you roll out Tebow and hope for the best. If there was an elite QB prospect, taking him would give them the best possible chance for future success, much more so than taking a DE or LB.

Wow, not smart enough? 3.66 GPA isn't all that bad!

I didn't say he didn't work hard in school. I'm sure Jake Locker got great grades too. Have you listened to Tebow talk? We're not exactly splitting atoms here. His next throught-provoking sentence will be his first. I like Tebow. I think his game is exciting to watch, and I root for the guy, but realistically, he appears to be lacking in a few categories that successful QB's tend to have in common.

ESPN AFC West blogger Bill Williamson asked several experts a simple question: If Tim Tebow were in this year's draft, how high would he go? As with all things Tebow-related, opinions were wide-ranging and intense.

ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper says Tebow would probably be a fourth-rounder this year. "I don't think many teams would look at him in the second or third rounds," said Kiper. "He's not up there with [Cam Newton] and [blaine Gabbert], then he'd be behind second-level guys like and Andy Dalton. [Christian Ponder] is moving like crazy ... I think Tebow would certainly be the fourth or fifth, sixth or seventh quarterback on teams' boards."

ESPN AFC West blogger Bill Williamson asked several experts a simple question: If Tim Tebow were in this year's draft, how high would he go? As with all things Tebow-related, opinions were wide-ranging and intense.

ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper says Tebow would probably be a fourth-rounder this year. "I don't think many teams would look at him in the second or third rounds," said Kiper. "He's not up there with [Cam Newton] and [blaine Gabbert], then he'd be behind second-level guys like and Andy Dalton. [Christian Ponder] is moving like crazy ... I think Tebow would certainly be the fourth or fifth, sixth or seventh quarterback on teams' boards."

He was last year too, but it only takes one GM to be convinced otherwise.

Kiper thought Claussen was the most pro-ready QB in the draft last year.

Me prsonally, I think Elway has merely only been posturing himself to move down in the draft. Threatening to take a QB with that 1.02 gets those teams desperate, thinking Denver will be taking "their guy". Move down 2 or 3 spots and add a second, a win, win for Denver.

I think his confidence in Tebow isn't solid, but I've never seen Elway react to a player being drafted as he did with Tebow. Even when Shanahan masterfully move in to get Cutler, nothing. Elway was pretty silent. He was estatic when Tebow was drafted... Granted, that could have all changed with his new position and in which in some cases, I would suspect but that being said, I'm not thinking Elway is willing to give up on Tebow as of yet.

Starting to agree with this , why else would Elway be public with it?

And the funniest capper is that he loves Jake Locker. :wacko:

I heart Jake Locker very much but have been saying for a few years now that he's not going to be a good pro QB. You've got me confused with somebody else. Jake Locker could be a pro-bowl NFL player if he plays defense.

• 3 weeks later...

Smokescreen over.

LINK

Updated: April 28, 2011, 1:46 PM ET

John Elway supports Tim Tebow

Elway, who won two Super Bowls and was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2004, said he scrutinized Tebow's three games last season as a starter with the Broncos and came away impressed with his unique mobility and intangible qualities. Elway recognizes Tebow must improve his accuracy.

"Let's put it this way, I'm his biggest fan," Elway said. "He's one of those guys who -- if he comes out and is the player we hope he can be -- then we're in pretty darn good shape. He's a great ambassador for us as a team. He realizes, and I've told him: The bottom line is, 'You can do all those things and make all those plays that a lot of guys can't do, and that's something you have that they don't -- but you have to realize for us to be champions, you have to be able to win it from the pocket and make all those throws from the pocket.'

But Elway remains confident that Tebow eventually can be the kind of quarterback who is successful within the pocket. However, he's unsure when that transformation will be made.

"You're always projecting it, but I think he can eventually get there," Elway said. "I can't tell you a timeline. I don't know if it's going to be this fall or this time next year. But I think he's got the desire that eventually he's going to be very effective."

Elway specifically did not rule out the Broncos drafting another quarterback this year, but suggested it would not happen in the first round. That means Tebow won't be competing with Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert.

"Those guys, obviously, there's holes in every young guy coming out," he said. "There's not an Andrew Luck, a [Matthew] Stafford, a [sam] Bradford. Those guys are all very good quarterbacks in my mind, but there are holes in every one of them -- as there were in Tebow. I think where we are as an organization, we're going to go with Tim."

With that, while acknowledging there will be competition for the starting job, Elway seemed to hint that Tebow is Denver's likely starter this year -- unless the lockout eliminates virtually all of the preseason, in which case veteran Kyle Orton's experience might provide an advantage.