[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Elway and qb's in the draft

Chief

Do any of you believe Elway will possibly pick a qb at #2? I know I read he said he'd seriously look at it if they believe there is a franchise qb there for them, but I find it hard to believe before they see what they have in Tebow. Orton's no slouch, Quinn, who knows? If Elway doesn't like his qb's, and I don't know what assessment he could possibly have of Tebow yet, my guess is round 2 if at all. If so, then what with Tebow? trade? Hopefully Elway gets them away from the clusterbuck they've become.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is a chance in hell Denver drafts a QB at 1.2. There is nothing wrong with Kyle Orton, who was only pulled late in the season to test the tires of Tebow. That QB battle is going to be very interesting to watch come the time training camp starts. The problem is, there is no real "franchise QB" in this draft. Most, if not all, are developmental guys that will be thrust into game action because of need...not talent. Of course you all know my view of Ponder and Special K, both of whom I believe will be able to contribute immediately...those might be the 2 exceptions. But neither of those guys will warrant any consideration at 1.2. As crazy as that is in my eyes, its just the reality of this draft.

Like others, I can't imagine them going QB at 1.02. As unsold as I am on Tebow, I would still give him a shot this year and see if he pans out. I mean, they're a bad enough team overall that, if they don't make the play-offs, it would be hard to pin it only on the fact that they gave a QB who ended proving not to be the guy a chance.

And besides, it's not like there's anyone who's so "can't miss" out there that you just have to go that way. Why is there any more reason to believe that Gabbard is the man than Tebow is?

They don't have an elite QB on their roster. Until they get one, they have almost zero chance to be an elite team. Elway realizes this. If Sam Bradford was there, they would have to take him. I don't think there is a QB that grades out that high, so I don't think they'll take one, but it isn't because of their current QB's or other needs.

They don't have an elite QB on their roster. Until they get one, they have almost zero chance to be an elite team. Elway realizes this. If Sam Bradford was there, they would have to take him. I don't think there is a QB that grades out that high, so I don't think they'll take one, but it isn't because of their current QB's or other needs.

I don't think they have an elite QB on their team either, but I think it is about as bold to assume Tebow has no chance to be one as it is to assume he's the chosen one who will lead them to the promised land. That said, I agree that, were there a guy like Luck out there, you'd have to take him rather than give Tebow a shot and target some other need.

And, also, you actually don't need an "elite" qb to be an elite team. You get away with a top 10ish QB and be an elite team if you've got enough other things going for you. There are plenty of very good QBs who led their teams to numerous play-off appearances and then managed to put together an exceptional season to get them over the top. And that doesn't even take into account teams like Baltimore who managed to stay competitive for year after year and even win it all once despite not even have a guy who you would consider top 10. (Though Flacco is certainly in the conversation for "among the top 10" right now).

They don't have an elite QB on their roster. Until they get one, they have almost zero chance to be an elite team.

There's no evidence to support this position. There's no telling right now where Tebow will end up in his career. He's barely removed from his rookie year; and in his rookie year, while he made some rookie mistakes, he also showed a defined proclivity to being able to drop the deep ball in the bucket, he can throw the midrange out effectively, and the guy is nails in the red zone. You think SD had a franchise QB in Brees after 1 year? You think NE knew they had a franchise QB when they drafted Brady in the 6th round? Remember when Rodgers was considered an injury prone clipboard holder in GB?

QBs take time to grow and mature into the job. It's going to take 3 years, +/-, to rebuild this team into something credible in regard to contention. Let's see what Tebow can grow into during that time. He's already shown some very distinct positives that some of currently starting NFL QBs do not have. I for one think he may just be that guy who ends up being a very good starting QB - he has a lot of the tangibles and intangibles. Why burn up another high draft pick on the position when there are such glaring holes elsewhere on this team - especially given that this QB draft class has so many question marks on every one of the candidates?

Edited by Bronco Billy

And, also, you actually don't need an "elite" qb to be an elite team. You get away with a top 10ish QB and be an elite team if you've got enough other things going for you.

Eli Manning anyone??

QBs take time to grow and mature into the job. It's going to take 3 years, +/-, to rebuild this team into something credible in regard to contention. Let's see what Tebow can grow into during that time. He's already shown some very distinct positives that some of currently starting NFL QBs do not have. I for one think he may just be that guy who ends up being a very good starting QB - he has a lot of the tangibles and intangibles. Why burn up another high draft pick on the position when there are such glaring holes elsewhere on this team - especially given that this QB draft class has so many question marks on every one of the candidates?

This

:wacko:

:tup:

Von Miller has to be their pick.

I like him, but he doesn't seem like a great fit for the 4-3. I would expect dareus/fairley (whoever they grade higher) or patrick peterson to be the pick there. personally, I'd still like to see them take daquan bowers, though he seems to be sliding based on the knee. maybe trade down a few spots.

From John Clayton. Disagree if you want, just putting this out there.

"I'm starting to think Elway might take a QB in the second round and call the Tebow selection a mistake. That interest creates tantalizing possibilities on draft day and thereafter. Thinking that Cam Newton can go No. 1 to Carolina, the Broncos could entice a team such as Tennessee to trade up to the No. 2 spot to get Blaine Gabbert. The Broncos could then take a quarterback in the second round and eventually trade Orton for a second-round pick in 2012."

I would love to be watching the draft with you if they did take a QB at 1.02, I think your head would explode :tup:

I think the question is, DO any of this year's QBs have that much more potential than Tebow? Seems like we should play for 1.01 and get Luck :lol:

Well since you asked :wacko:

There are some pretty interesting rumors flying around involving Denver and a QB. One has them trading down and taking...drum roll please..Christian Ponder :rofl:

Another has them selecting Special K in the 2nd. Of course these are all rumors and they are starting to get thick the closer we get to the draft. Most of this is just smoke screen but I'm just kinda perplexed as to why nobody else thinks Orton is a viable QB.

It ain't Tebow. Not now, not ever. He may be able to compete in this league, but ain't gonna beat good secondaries with his decision making and accuracy, which is how you win in the playoffs. If the Broncos get a top-3 defense he would have a slim chance. 'Til that happens, he does nothing but prolong the processs of finding a top-10 QB.

Det, you're right, I suppose we have to find a definition of elite. You can insert top-10 into it's place, but you get the point.

Edited by Seahawks21

From John Clayton. Disagree if you want, just putting this out there.

"I'm starting to think Elway might take a QB in the second round and call the Tebow selection a mistake. That interest creates tantalizing possibilities on draft day and thereafter. Thinking that Cam Newton can go No. 1 to Carolina, the Broncos could entice a team such as Tennessee to trade up to the No. 2 spot to get Blaine Gabbert. The Broncos could then take a quarterback in the second round and eventually trade Orton for a second-round pick in 2012."

The Broncos are idiots if their first 3 picks at a minimum aren't at least 2 guys on D who weigh in at 285+ lbs and possibly a LB. To pick a QB with both Orton and Tebow currently on the roster and such a lack of even starting level talent in their D front 7 - especially DL and most especially since they are going to a 4-3 - is nothing short of lunacy. This QB class has legit question marks on every one of its players. Even the QB starved teams ought to be thinking QB no earlier than rd 2.

Edited by Bronco Billy

It ain't Tebow. Not now, not ever. He may be able to compete in this league, but ain't gonna beat good secondaries with his decision making and accuracy, which is how you win in the playoffs. If the Broncos get a top-3 defense he would have a slim chance. 'Til that happens, he does nothing but prolong the processs of finding a top-10 QB.

Det, you're right, I suppose we have to find a definition of elite. You can insert top-10 into it's place, but you get the point.

For starters, we'll have to agree to disagree to an extent about Tebow's chances. I'm very much on the side of thinking he will not likely become a great QB, but also realize that stranger things have certainly happened.

At any rate, there seems to be different versions of "bad" in the NFL. The Broncos seem like a train wreck right now and are probably worse than their record. For instance, my Niners only won 2 more games last year, but may have enough pieces in place to drop in a talented rookie QB and allow him to thrive. Think Big Ben or Ryan in ATL. Those weren't teams that had a million and one holes to fill. They pretty much just needed a QB. That isn't the case with Denver, so there's no point in targeting the one position where you have a decent vet and a 2nd year guy who can sell spamshirts and "lead men".

Because, the problem is, take a guy like Andrew Luck. Let's say he was out there and for some reason Carolina passed on him. Sure, everyone thinks he's "can't miss", but you truly never know. Say you stick him on a bad team and he struggles his first year. Now you're in the same boat. You still suck and you're still not sure if you've got your franchise QB. Maybe nobody could have done well on that team, but maybe everyone was wrong about Luck. Only now you've burned two 1st round picks on the position in back to back years, gave one guy all of 3 games to show his stuff and another a full year of struggling on a crappy team (or worse, toggled back and forth between Tebow and Luck all year long because nobody was getting it done). What if some other kid has a meteoric rise and is also dubbed "can't miss". Since Den still sucks, they've got another high pick. What then?

The simple fact is, while neither of Denver's QBs may end up being any more than decent, you could argue that QB is among the strongest positions on the team already and one that they could and maybe should ignore in the early rounds while they address gaping needs that are absolutely preventing them from being even competitive. Positions that also seem to have a higher percentage of panning out.

Then if Tebow (or Orton) manage to grow into being better QBs under the new regime, that's great. You didn't burn a pick on a position you didn't end up needing filled. And if they don't, that's cool, now your team is better all around and more inclined to allow the rookie you end up taking next year (or the year after) to succeed. They won't be airing it out all game long trying to keep up because you allowed 28 pts by halftime. They won't be running for their life because you can't block or run the ball well enough to keep the D on it's toes. Things like that.

Edited by detlef

What is this based on? Did you watch him play last year?

I thought originally that the Tebow pick was terrible at the time. But after watching him play last year, I walked away impressed. He has every chance to be a good QB, maybe even great. He works is ass off, has a strong arm, is smart, and very tough. His throwing motion will lead to some issues during his career, but he can be a good QB.

QB is absolutely the last position they need help with right now. They need everything D right up the middle. DT, MLB and safety. Drafting anything other than defense besides a TE is worthless.