[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Taxing your car per mile

DMD

Didn't see it posted anywhere. As someone who works at home and has to make up a reason to drive anywhere, this has no affect on me really. But this seems like an impossible task to accomplish and not a very popular one for many people. I'd guess this has no chance.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/hous...ars-by-the-mile

Obama administration floats draft plan to tax cars by the mile

By Pete Kasperowicz - 05/05/11 07:45 AM ET

The Obama administration has floated a transportation authorization bill that would require the study and implementation of a plan to tax automobile drivers based on how many miles they drive.

The plan is a part of the administration's Transportation Opportunities Act, an undated draft of which was obtained this week by Transportation Weekly.

The White House, however, said the bill is only an early draft that was not formally circulated within the administration.

“This is not an administration proposal," White House spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said. "This is not a bill supported by the administration. This was an early working draft proposal that was never formally circulated within the administration, does not taken into account the advice of the president’s senior advisers, economic team or Cabinet officials, and does not represent the views of the president.”

News of the draft follows a March Congressional Budget Office report that supported the idea of taxing drivers based on miles driven.

Among other things, CBO suggested that a vehicle miles traveled (VMT) tax could be tracked by installing electronic equipment on each car to determine how many miles were driven; payment could take place electronically at filling stations.

The CBO report was requested by Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), who has proposed taxing cars by the mile as a way to increase federal highway revenues.

Obama's proposal seems to follow up on that idea in section 2218 of the draft bill. That section would create, within the Federal Highway Administration, a Surface Transportation Revenue Alternatives Office. It would be tasked with creating a "study framework that defines the functionality of a mileage-based user fee system and other systems."

The administration seems to be aware of the need to prepare the public for what would likely be a controversial change to the way highway funds are collected. For example, the office is called on to serve a public-relations function, as the draft says it should "increase public awareness regarding the need for an alternative funding source for surface transportation programs and provide information on possible approaches."

The draft bill says the "study framework" for the project and a public awareness communications plan should be established within two years of creating the office, and that field tests should begin within four years.

The office would be required to consider four factors in field trials: the capability of states to enforce payment, the reliability of technology, administrative costs and "user acceptance." The draft does not specify where field trials should begin.

The new office would be funded a total of $300 million through fiscal 2017 for the project.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The American culture of the last 50 years really has evolved around the car. The way our cities are arranged, suburbs, even giving more credence to Americans are so individualistic and we all need to be "free" and can go anywhere.

this seems so stupid economically. if you need to raise revenue from cars, tax gas higher. taxing miles driven and not gas provides a relative disincentive to higher mileage cars. and that's without even considering the whole big brother aspect.

That said, it would make sense in terms of a usage fee - the more you use the road, the more you pay. I know you do that through gas prices but those who already espouse the doctrine that users should be the ones to pay for whatever ought to love this.

That said, it would make sense in terms of a usage fee - the more you use the road, the more you pay. I know you do that through gas prices but those who already espouse the doctrine that users should be the ones to pay for whatever ought to love this.

Disagree a bit. It all comes down to how you track and get people to pay - taxing on comsumption is easy in a lot of cases - buy a car/boat/plane/gas - you get taxed on the price. Taxing on how many miles you drive a car makes this impossible - how do you track it.

Also - why stop there - What if I walk at lunch time - when do I get taxed on how far I walk - I am using the sidewalk mor ethan others right?

Just a matter of time when all roads are toll roads.

Hard ti tell now when its free and when its a toll and no way you know how much they are charging you.

My average toll tag bill is about 60.00 a month.

this seems so stupid economically. if you need to raise revenue from cars, tax gas higher. taxing miles driven and not gas provides a relative disincentive to higher mileage cars. and that's without even considering the whole big brother aspect.

I'm glad to see that you have come around from where you used to be

taxing per mile driven is stupid

so let's say in 20 years there's a bunch of people with electric cars that use no gas at all. do they not have to pay their share for the infrastructure they use? you have to assume over the next several decades, we as a society will use less and less gas, but the demand for roads will be greater than ever. at some point fairly soon it makes sense to go to a different model.

or just do odometer readings. but to me, it would be preferable to somehow incorporate peak time vs. non-peak driving, driving in congested areas versus non-congested, etc. because then you're doing a better job measuring peoples' actual useage and economic costs.

Disagree a bit. It all comes down to how you track and get people to pay - taxing on comsumption is easy in a lot of cases - buy a car/boat/plane/gas - you get taxed on the price. Taxing on how many miles you drive a car makes this impossible - how do you track it.

Also - why stop there - What if I walk at lunch time - when do I get taxed on how far I walk - I am using the sidewalk mor ethan others right?

Assuming the tracking can be done - and technically it is trivial - and we get past all the Big Brother nonsense, this would be exactly the same as a consumption tax. There would likely be a need to have it graduated based on vehicle weight or something but in pure terms, it IS a consumption tax, and I understand these are very popular in some circles.

I'm not saying I support it but I am saying it is not as illogical as some would say.

Big Brother nonsense

:wacko:

they should do it from a gas end instead. Who cares how far somebody drives. What matters more in the pollutants they put into the air and the resources they use.

Edited by Duchess Jack

Ah the T-Paw way of raising taxes without calling them taxes.... user fees.

they should do it from a gas end instead. Who car how far somebody drives. What matters more in the pollutants they put into the air and the resources the use.

:wacko: THEY ALREADY DO IT FROM THE GAS END...GEEZ...HOW MUCH MORE DO THEY NEED....STOP EFFING SPENDING MORE MONEY THAN YOU HAVE INSTEAD OF LAYING AWAKE AT NIGHT THINKING OF MORE WAYS TO TAKE INCOME

Edited by caddyman

they should do it from a gas end instead. Who car how far somebody drives. What matters more in the pollutants they put into the air and the resources the use.

Yep...

And, Yep, to Az.

ETA: Turkey has an annual tax that they levy on cars due to the displacement of their engine. If it is over 1.2 litres, you get hit and then it is a graduated scale from there.

Edited by SEC=UGA

So instead of being angry that another tax increase is being kicked around - most of you are coming up with more 'logical' tax increases :tup::wacko: You should all be angry over this, not trying to come up with other tax ideas

Nice work you obedient robots :lol:

So instead of being angry that another tax increase is being kicked around - most of you are coming up with more 'logical' tax increases :tup::wacko: You should all be angry over this, not trying to come up with other tax ideas

Nice work you obedient robots :lol:

Some of us think that potentially it might REPLACE other taxes, not add to them.

Nice work, Pavlov's dog.