[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The day reggae died

SLAYER

Has there ever been a genre of music more dominated by one person? I mean, reggae just started dying a slow death from the moment he stopped producing. This is not to say that he was the only voice of reggae back in the day, but nobody was able to carry the torch for long after he left us.

Every other genre, even those with icons who have passed, have continued to put forward world class acts to this day. Not bands just recycling the same ol' but bands building on it. The local jazz station has a reggae show on the weekends and, every now and then, I catch part of it. The songs fit into one of two categories. Great old tracks, and crap modern reggae dub.

Has there ever been a genre of music more dominated by one person? I mean, reggae just started dying a slow death from the moment he stopped producing. This is not to say that he was the only voice of reggae back in the day, but nobody was able to carry the torch for long after he left us.

Every other genre, even those with icons who have passed, have continued to put forward world class acts to this day. Not bands just recycling the same ol' but bands building on it. The local jazz station has a reggae show on the weekends and, every now and then, I catch part of it. The songs fit into one of two categories. Great old tracks, and crap modern reggae dub.

It's a very limited genre, IMO, unlike e.g. rock.

I dunno, I thought that was the other way round, ska being a sub-genre of reggae. I've always thought of ska as a white reggae.

+1 ... It would be like saying the Clash was a reggae band when it was the other way, a punk band with reggae element (with a splash of disco)

And Marley definately influenced many types of music, not just reggae;

I dunno, I thought that was the other way round, ska being a sub-genre of reggae. I've always thought of ska as a white reggae.

Interesting. Ska goes pretty far back though, back to the 50s, I think and, at least in the beginning was very much a black music movement.

Desmond Dekker, Justin Hinds, are a few that come to mind, but I was on a major Ska kick a few years back and started collecting a ton of it. At some level, it's barely indistinguishable from early rock and roll and included many old rock and roll and R&B songs. Desmond Dekker, for instance, does a version of Yakkity Yak.

You're likely thinking of the Two Tone years with English Beat and The Specials and bands like that. All great bands, but pretty late in the game in terms of the history of the movement.

None the less, I don't want to defile a tribute thread any more than I have. Marley was amazing and that's all that matters.

One of my fondest memories was sailing a 30' Sparkman and Stevens around the BVI with an old friend drinking rum and listening to this one Marley album recorded live at a radio station in SF over, and over, and over again. We must have listened to that album 30x on that trip and it never got old.

:wacko:

Edited by detlef

Ska is a music genre that originated in Jamaica in the late 1950s, and was the precursor to rocksteady and reggae. Ska combined elements of Caribbean mento and calypso with American jazz and rhythm and blues. It is characterized by a walking bass line accented with rhythms on the upbeat. In the early 1960s, ska was the dominant music genre of Jamaica and was popular with British mods. Later it became popular with many skinheads.

From wikipedia.

I was fortunate enough to see Bob Marley and the Wailers in the summer of 1979. And at the time, I didn't really know who they were or anything about them. It was such an out of the way place in a small little venue, that it never dawned on me how incredibly lucky we were. A little hotel bar/nightclub called The Compleat Angler (yes it's spelled that way....lol) in Bimini.

I have no idea what Bimini is like now, but back then it was an off-the-beaten-path haven for writers and artists. Tiny island, felt like a beautiful, well-kept secret. It didn't feel touristy at all...in fact I can't remember even seeing a 'tourist.' We sailed there on our way back to Florida. We didn't stay on the island that evening, but went into town for dinner and to explore and wandered into this sort of open air lounge, drawn in by the music. Stayed for a few hours soaking up the atmosphere.

Anyway, I remember it well and filed it away for a few years until I heard his music in college and saw an album cover. Now I have no idea if they were there on vacation or just trying out new music in a small setting....I still have no idea. I know now that he was in and out of Miami for medical treatment at the time. I can tell you that if I wanted a place to recuperate, I'd pick Bimini too......lol.

RIP Bob...thanks for a very nice memory. :wacko:

I was in Jamaica last year where Bob Marley dominates every tourist store. I made a point of asking each shop owner if Marley was still alive just to see their reaction. Jamaica has pirates and rum already going for it but apparently it is nothing more than a island dedicated to his memory.

I will never forget the first time I ever heard Bob Marley. I was on a road from Alexandria to Cairo, and when we stopped at a gas station, there was some dude selling CDs and Buffalo Soldiers was playing. Shortly thereafter, I bought one of his CDs...

I would say Toots and the Maytalls is right up there with Marley, but still, you make a good point. Not many genres dominated by 1 or 2 artists.

It's Bob Marley week on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon. Ziggy was on Monday, Chris Cornell did a cover last night.

If you missed it most NBC affiliates re-air the 12:36am Fallon the following week on the same day at 3:04am

I was fortunate enough to see Bob Marley and the Wailers in the summer of 1979. And at the time, I didn't really know who they were or anything about them. It was such an out of the way place in a small little venue, that it never dawned on me how incredibly lucky we were. A little hotel bar/nightclub called The Compleat Angler (yes it's spelled that way....lol) in Bimini.

I have no idea what Bimini is like now, but back then it was an off-the-beaten-path haven for writers and artists. Tiny island, felt like a beautiful, well-kept secret. It didn't feel touristy at all...in fact I can't remember even seeing a 'tourist.' We sailed there on our way back to Florida. We didn't stay on the island that evening, but went into town for dinner and to explore and wandered into this sort of open air lounge, drawn in by the music. Stayed for a few hours soaking up the atmosphere.

Anyway, I remember it well and filed it away for a few years until I heard his music in college and saw an album cover. Now I have no idea if they were there on vacation or just trying out new music in a small setting....I still have no idea. I know now that he was in and out of Miami for medical treatment at the time. I can tell you that if I wanted a place to recuperate, I'd pick Bimini too......lol.

RIP Bob...thanks for a very nice memory. :wacko:

Just wow.... how fortunate you were, and didn't even know it at the time! Freakin cool.... Marley drove an old BMW around.... he got the meaning. He was more than an artist, he was a national hero.