[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

blood pressure

chester

I know that there was some sort of thread that involved it recently. Can't remember the reason.

I was working last night and a chiroprator found out how high mine was and wanted to know why I was taking drugs without knowing if there was a fix for it instead (I'm assuming something is his field). Is there any truth to this?

I blew him off as he was an arrogant dick.

Before meds, my BP was around 240/150 or something similarly ungodly high. He told me that it was impossible for it to be that high. With meds, I'm a solid 130/75. Is there really anything else you can do besides diet/exersise?

As for lowering it, here are some tips:

•Don't smoke cigarettes or use any tobacco product.

•Lose weight if you're overweight.

•Exercise regularly.

•Eat a healthy diet that includes lots of fruits and vegetables and is low in fat.

•Limit your sodium, alcohol and caffeine intake.

•Try relaxation techniques or biofeedback.

I wouldn't listen to a chiropractor when it comes to blood pressure advice.

I would stop seeing a chiropractor who is insinuating that he can lower blood pressure through any type of service that a chiropractor is licensed to dispense. Then again, I avoid chiropractors as I view them much the same as I do witch doctors. Both of them consider themselves "doctors" but neither are.

I would stop seeing a chiropractor who is insinuating that he can lower blood pressure through any type of service that a chiropractor is licensed to dispense. Then again, I avoid chiropractors as I view them much the same as I do witch doctors. Both of them consider themselves "doctors" but neither are.

Partly agree, but I guess I'd go see one if I had skeletal-muscle problems. I've had enough people say they had serious pain from some accident and didn't get anywhere with the traditional doctor route. A few people claimed that the chiro saved their lives as they wouldn't want to go on in the condition they were. I definitely draw the line of chiro help when they start saying they can cure diabetes, allergies, or blood pressure.

•Exercise regularly.

•Eat a healthy diet that includes lots of fruits and vegetables and is low in fat.

it's this, or just take a pill ...

:wacko:

There are two different types of chiropractors out there – straight and mixers. Straight chiropractors believe they can cure (or bring under control) most medical issues a patient has by performing their spinal and joint manipulations (i.e. I can lower your blood pressure by adjusting your spine). Whereas mixers are more of a physical therapist (in my opinion) because they also leverage stretching and exercises to assist in their treatment of patients and they do not believe you can control or resolve a lot of medical issues by manipulating the spine and joints.

My chiropractor was a mixer and it was 4 visits for me before she even placed me on the table for some traction therapy. The first visit was consultation, the second and third visits were with a physical therapist to set up a proper stretching and exercise routine and then after those didn’t help with my back she took me to the traction table. She was not only a chiropractor but also was a DO (similar to MD I guess).

Stay away from those that believe they can cure your herpes through spinal manipulation. And FWIW, my primary care doctor told me that under no circumstances should I allow a chiropractor to perform adjustments on my neck. He told me that he had a patient that suffered a stroke because the chiropractor tore some arteries in the patient’s neck while adjusting it.

There are two different types of chiropractors out there – straight and mixers. Straight chiropractors believe they can cure (or bring under control) most medical issues a patient has by performing their spinal and joint manipulations (i.e. I can lower your blood pressure by adjusting your spine). Whereas mixers are more of a physical therapist (in my opinion) because they also leverage stretching and exercises to assist in their treatment of patients and they do not believe you can control or resolve a lot of medical issues by manipulating the spine and joints.

My chiropractor was a mixer and it was 4 visits for me before she even placed me on the table for some traction therapy. The first visit was consultation, the second and third visits were with a physical therapist to set up a proper stretching and exercise routine and then after those didn’t help with my back she took me to the traction table. She was not only a chiropractor but also was a DO (similar to MD I guess).

Stay away from those that believe they can cure your herpes through spinal manipulation. And FWIW, my primary care doctor told me that under no circumstances should I allow a chiropractor to perform adjustments on my neck. He told me that he had a patient that suffered a stroke because the chiropractor tore some arteries in the patient’s neck while adjusting it.

Had a buddy that had to get some vertebrae fused. His chiro told him there was nothing wrong that frequent adjustments wouldn't take care of. The real Dr. told him he was about two adjustments away from paralysis...

I had nagging pain in my right shoulder and numbness in my fingers on two occasions - both times for several weeks. I reluctantly went to see a chiropractor that was highly recommended. The problem is gone now, and I didn't have to take any medication. There are good and bad performers in any profession. Quack chiros have given the profession a bad image, but there are some that will and can fix things that are fixable without drugs...just sayin'. Oh, and he did have a Dr. degree.

I had nagging pain in my right shoulder and numbness in my fingers on two occasions - both times for several weeks. I reluctantly went to see a chiropractor that was highly recommended. The problem is gone now, and I didn't have to take any medication. There are good and bad performers in any profession. Quack chiros have given the profession a bad image, but there are some that will and can fix things that are fixable without drugs...just sayin'. Oh, and he did have a Dr. degree.

In that case you can probably trust 'em. It's the guys that are set up at kiosks in the mall or have "frequent visitor" cards that you need to be wary of.

Personally, I'm this close to visiting a buddy of mine who does acupuncture. I am still feeling ill effects of the car wreck that I was in many years ago. The pain's being brought on by poor physical condition, which also needs to change. Another buddy of mine went to this guy and swears it made his motorcycle wreck induced pain nearly go away 100%.

This dude said he wsa a Dr.

That being said, I find it hard to beleive that he could fix my insane BP as well as the drugs do.

I agree - return to post 3.

I had high blood pressure and the Dr. had me on lisinopril. That helped a little, but it was the lifestyle changes that cured me. I don't even take the pills anymore and I'm over 50.

I'm jealous that teh drugs dropped your BP so much. I take a decent dose myself yet they can only drop my top number like 15 points.

+1...unfortunately. I have my check-up stress test next month and am dreading it.

I agree - return to post 3.

I had high blood pressure and the Dr. had me on lisinopril. That helped a little, but it was the lifestyle changes that cured me. I don't even take the pills anymore and I'm over 50.

•Don't smoke cigarettes or use any tobacco product. Don't

•Lose weight if you're overweight. Maybe by a few pounds, but not really

•Exercise regularly. Bartend 40 hours a week walking constantly. Bike about 2-3 hours a week. Nothing much else.

•Eat a healthy diet that includes lots of fruits and vegetables and is low in fat. I would say I'm slightly bad at this but not terribly

•Limit your sodium, alcohol and caffeine intake. Probably alot of sodium, way too much alcohol, no caffiene whatsoever

•Try relaxation techniques or biofeedback. Extremely stressed at the most minor of things. My mind racess 24/7.

•Exercise regularly.

This sums up the behavioral measures for lowering blood pressure pretty well, but alot of times this just isn't enough and medication needs to be added to bring the blood pressure down to the normal range.

Frankly, chiropractors trying to treat high blood pressure with manipulation is a scary thought to me. I would not recommend that.

I basically got what I wanted out of this thread - reassurance that I wasn't crazy. I won't be going to a chiropractor and skipping pills unless Chargerz tells me to. Thanks all!

•Exercise regularly.

[/quote

Common sense preached by chiros that everyone ignores in favor of a pill with massive negative side effects. I took mine from 200/150 to 150/90 in a month. Two years later after bjj and my other exercises I'm at 120/75. Chiros are ignert.

I've been hitting the 150/90 quite often recently, after years of being in the high 120s / 78-83.

Funny thing is I stopped smoking 10 years ago. I do drink coffee but just one cup a day and rarely drink. Same weight for the last 20 years or so, slightly overweight.

Must be stress and age (43) I guess.

Need to do more of this:

•Exercise regularly.

And thinking about starting on Weight Watchers online.

•Exercise regularly.

Good recap.

Chiros, like any other profession, have good and bad ones. Automatically equating them with quacks or witch doctors is simply incorrect; there are many good ones. The legit/good ones treat skeletal/musular stuff only, esp of the spine etc. They don't claim to be able to help or cure everything under the sun, don't try to pimp magical natural "miracle" supplements etc or go well outside of their realm - eg blood pressure. Beyond some common sense stuff like above, a chiro has no business touting themselves as experts on this.