[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The homeless are twittering...

SEC=UGA

Seriously, you can't afford a place to live but you have a smart phone?!?!? I guess it is probably one of those government subsidized smart phones that go along with your government housing, welfare check and government cheese.

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Blogging and tweeting might be among the last hobbies you'd list for a homeless person, but some down-and-out people have embraced social media in such a way that it's actually garnered them needed assistance -- everything from food and diapers for children to counseling and housing.

"I did not believe in social networking before I ended up on the streets," says Rd Plasschaert, who became homeless last year. "It's the way people are finding housing. It's the way people are finding food banks."

Plasschaert, who had lost her job and was on welfare, joined the social networking sphere one month before she knew she was losing the bedroom she rented. She started a blog called "Lost Awareness" in desperation when nonprofit agencies told her they couldn't help her out until she had actually lost her home, she said.

A homeless blogger from England recommended Plasschaert sign up for Twitter and search for homelessness-related hashtags, or topics, on that site.

Days before landing on the street, Plasschaert contacted a man who went by the handle @hardlynormal for advice on available services. That connection ultimately led to Plasschaert getting into her own subsidized studio apartment this year.

"It was purely social media that placed me. Absolutely and totally," she says.

But the incident did more than simply house Plasschaert, it helped inspire a website called WeAreVisible.com with tutorials to teach homeless people how to use social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter.

"I saw how technology could improve people's lives," says the website's creator, Mark Horvath, the man who was @hardlynormal. "I was creating WeAreVisible to empower homeless people to have a voice, a voice that we all have, but the homeless population doesn't."

Horvath knows about being homeless -- he lived on the streets of Hollywood more than a decade ago, and, fours years ago, when he lost his job and his house in foreclosure, he essentially embarked on a career of recording homeless people's stories and posting them online.

He knew that many homeless people had the tools to connect online.

"If you were going to be homeless tomorrow, what are the two things you'd take? Your laptop and your cell phone," Horvath says.

With the growth of free wireless services at coffee shops, stores and libraries, people don't need their own Internet connection or cell phone calling plan to use their devices. And those without personal communications devices can access computers at shelters and libraries.

Homeless people are embracing social media for various reasons.

AnnMarie Walsh, who was living in an empty lot in Chicago, says tweeting as @padschicago gave her a sense of peace.

"I used (Twitter) as an outlet to vent my feelings and to share information about homelessness and things I was going through," Walsh says, adding that she was driven to the streets in 2004 after emotional trouble linked to an abusive past. She didn't join Twitter's ranks until two years ago.

"Just knowing that somebody was out there, that someone was reading my tweet, it was an awesome feeling."

She says her tweets caught the eye of a case worker last summer, which led to transitional housing and a permanent room in April. Others use social media to critique and praise homeless shelters, case managers and city agencies.

"It's changing how shelters and cities do business," says Neil Donovan, executive director of the National Coalition for the Homeless, especially because of what he calls the "lightning-fast communications."

Horvath says his ultimate goal for WeAreVisible.com would be to connect homeless agencies directly with the people seeking services, what he calls "virtual case management."

"Homeless services need to step up and listen to people online, because they're there. They're there searching for us," says Horvath, who until recently was working at a shelter before heading out on another tour of recording homeless people's stories.

Horvath says the unintended impact of WeAreVisible.com has been the creation of a virtual community for homeless people and those who have been there. He has more than 12,000 Twitter followers alone.

"We encourage each other," says Plasschaert, who volunteers to train homeless people to use computers. "It's important to have that sense of community."

"I encourage homeless people to do whatever it takes to get out of their situation," Horvath says, "and if that's social media -- jump on!"

About a year ago, I was giving a lot to folks at highway intersections. I was basically out of a job myself and felt their plight, so to speak. After a few months, I was like :lol: .... I'm bustin' my azz, working 3-4 part-time jobs to feed my family, and these a-holes are out here begging for change. So, no more handouts... unless I'm in an especially good mood. Austin has a pretty high homeless population, but there are certainly resources for them to get themselves cleaned up, fed, and put into a work program. Lazy f'ers.

And two little tidbit stories: one, I heard a news reporter and his crew in Houston went out and worked a popular intersection (they told the guys that usually worked it what they were doing, and would give them the money at the end of the day). Between the reporter and a couple of his crewmen, they made like $2,000. In a day. :wacko:

Also, my buddy in Santa Barbara (also a high homeless population) worked at a bank after college. He said this one obviously-homeless dude would come in every Friday afternoon with stacks 'o cash to deposit. His balance? Over $250k. :tup:

So, the dudes on the Riverside I-35 bridge selling roses are ligit? At least they give you a product.

Panhandlers make alot of money. I knew of a Dallas story where many bums were making over $100,000 / year. They have a system that works by prying on others sympathies and personal fears and are strategically placed for lots of traffic and at stopping points so that you can roll down your window.

I think it is usually on Federal property like interstates where the city can't kick you off their property.

So, the dudes on the Riverside I-35 bridge selling roses are ligit? At least they give you a product.

Panhandlers make alot of money. I knew of a Dallas story where many bums were making over $100,000 / year. They have a system that works by prying on others sympathies and personal fears and are strategically placed for lots of traffic and at stopping points so that you can roll down your window.

I think it is usually on Federal property like interstates where the city can't kick you off their property.

Panhandlers :wacko: Rampant in Atlanta.

BTW, Interstate highway right-of-way (properties) are state owned, not federal. And local cops could arrest them for other causes like interfering with traffic but rarely do.

I always here these stories about how much these guys make. Hell, maybe they do. Thing is, we have guys camped out at a number of intersections I drive through around here and I never see anyone giving them anything. Maybe once for every 20 times I'm at one of these intersections. Me? I'm probably good for a buck or two a month (if that). We give to charities instead.

Unless the money is just flowing when I'm not there, I don't see how it adds up to the numbers these stories claim it does. I don't doubt that a few guys have found a sweet spot. But, all of a sudden, that becomes, "homeless guys are making $100K".

Not implying anything other than the fact that I doubt "many" are making a good living out there. Obviously not saying they should be, just saying I doubt they are.

As far as bagging on a homeless person for tweeting. Meh.

Edited by detlef

When I first started working for the company I am with now (which has me in low income areas most of the time) an old timer taught me a trick. Instead of giving persons money when they ask for it you can offer to buy them a sandwich or offer to help them find a ride to a job agency. That usually weeds out the ones in need from the alcoholics and panhandlers.

When I first started working for the company I am with now (which has me in low income areas most of the time) an old timer taught me a trick. Instead of giving persons money when they ask for it you can offer to buy them a sandwich or offer to help them find a ride to a job agency. That usually weeds out the ones in need from the alcoholics and panhandlers.

My wife went into a convenience store several years back, where a homeless guy and his dog were outside. Dude of course asks her for money, and she says "sorry". She ends up buying a can of dog food while she was in there (and yes, it was the pull-tab variety) and gave it to him on his way out. He screamed at her telling her that she was a piece of sh*t and other obscenities. Stay classy, homeless guy.

My wife went into a convenience store several years back, where a homeless guy and his dog were outside. Dude of course asks her for money, and she says "sorry". She ends up buying a can of dog food while she was in there (and yes, it was the pull-tab variety) and gave it to him on his way out. He screamed at her telling her that she was a piece of sh*t and other obscenities. Stay classy, homeless guy.

We keep dog treats in the glove box to give to the dogs these guys often have with them.

Seriously, you can't afford a place to live but you have a smart phone?!?!? I guess it is probably one of those government subsidized smart phones that go along with your government housing, welfare check and government cheese.

:wacko:

From the article:

With the growth of free wireless services at coffee shops, stores and libraries, people don't need their own Internet connection or cell phone calling plan to use their devices. And those without personal communications devices can access computers at shelters and libraries.

So, meh . . .

Meh +1.

Some folks always need someone to bag on, preferably someone "beneath" them. It all helps with their anger issues.

Maybe instead of spending time on social media, they could clean themselves up and get a job.

I just did the math. A cell phone costs less than a house. Maybe that is why?

Maybe instead of using cell phones to use social media, they can spend the time cleaning themselves and getting a job.

Maybe instead of spending time on social media, they could clean themselves up and get a job.

Maybe instead of using cell phones to use social media, they can spend the time cleaning themselves and getting a job.

It gets a little wearing when people are so quick to jump all over anyone who might appear be getting something they're not or not strictly conforming to some standard or other.

The usual response is "get a job". It appears that many of them have one and it pays handsomely if the anecdotal evidence is to be believed. Hardly surprising people on $100k+ per year (so we are told) don't want to push carts around the Walmart parking lot.

Makes one wonder why more people don't go that route.

It gets a little wearing when people are so quick to jump all over anyone who might appear be getting something they're not or not strictly conforming to some standard or other.

The usual response is "get a job". It appears that many of them have one and it pays handsomely if the anecdotal evidence is to be believed. Hardly surprising people on $100k+ per year (so we are told) don't want to push carts around the Walmart parking lot.

Makes one wonder why more people don't go that route.

Standing on the street corner peddling for change is a job? :wacko:

Read my first post in this thread. Maybe if I wasn't busting my ass at three part-time jobs - that anyone could have easily got - instead of standing at an interchange, I'd think differently. Maybe I'll just quit my jobs, have my wife quit hers and we can not shower, collect welfare and hit up the good people of Austin for some spare change.

Gimme a f'in break.

At least from what I gathered in the article, they use the social media to find beds, meals, and such.

Regardless, my wife is under-employed and spends a ton of time looking for a job. It's a daily routine she goes through, checks employment sites, crafts cover letters, follows up on leads from friends, updates her CV. Does she spend every waking moment doing this? Well, no, she doesn't. Every now and then, she dallies in things like hanging out with friends or simply enjoying herself. Should I be angry with her?

Now, I realize that she's aiming a bit higher than these guys are in terms of what sort of gig she's looking for and also has the luxury of having a working spouse as well as lands short-term or part-time gigs that bring her some cash. In other words, she's not desperate. But that only means that she's got the luxury of not having to take any job, no matter how crappy, that may be out there. But you wouldn't tell that she's not desperate by how much energy she puts into the search. Again, however, a search that does not occupy every waking minute of every day.

However, what is the same is that, there comes a point in each day where everyone should be allowed to just chill out for a minute. So, should we begrudge someone posting a tweet every now and then? Should those at the bottom rung of our society be expected to spend every minute of every day trying to claw their way up? Should they not be allowed to just hang out and shoot the poop with their friends? And is engaging in social media, even when not specifically to find shelter or a meal, really any different?

However, what is the same is that, there comes a point in each day where everyone should be allowed to just chill out for a minute. So, should we begrudge someone posting a tweet every now and then? Should those at the bottom rung of our society be expected to spend every minute of every day trying to claw their way up? Should they not be allowed to just hang out and shoot the poop with their friends? And is engaging in social media, even when not specifically to find shelter or a meal, really any different?

no, but it's a little different scenario when someone is living by the charity of others, whether it be by panhandling, private charity, government assistance. people view it differently, and rightly so.

Standing on the street corner peddling for change is a job? :wacko:

Read my first post in this thread. Maybe if I wasn't busting my ass at three part-time jobs - that anyone could have easily got - instead of standing at an interchange, I'd think differently. Maybe I'll just quit my jobs, have my wife quit hers and we can not shower, collect welfare and hit up the good people of Austin for some spare change.

Gimme a f'in break.

Some won't be able to get jobs or homes because they are felons. Some will be mentally ill. Yet more will be junkies, alcoholics, etc. Some will be bone idle lazy bastards that can't be bothered to get out of bed and are completely unreliable.

If we are to believe what is being said, some are pulling down significant chunks of change. When people go into business for themselves, we usually call it entrepreneurship. Not sure there's a ton of difference between that and this. If Joe Public wants to hand over his cash to someone who looks like a bum at a highway intersection, I don't see the problem.

FWIW, I never give money to panhandlers. I prefer to donate to charities.

you are not this dumb.

I certainly hope not.

And I'll admit, I barely skimmed the article and didn't digest the fact that they were using web services to find out about housing, jobs, etc. I passed judgment on it being for pleasure-tripping.

I'm all for them using these resources to better themselves, find a place to live, etc.

As for "felons", they can go into work release programs. As for the "mentally ill", I highly doubt they're on Twitter. It's the "junkies" and otherwise "unreliable" that need to get a grip and yes, a frickin' job.

Anyone that claims that panhandling is a "job" needs to get a clue.

Edited by darin3

no, but it's a little different scenario when someone is living by the charity of others, whether it be by panhandling, private charity, government assistance. people view it differently, and rightly so.

So you are of the opinion that someone who accepts charity should not be allowed to enjoy themselves at all? That, if you are not pulling your weight, each and every waking moment should be spent trying to further yourself. Again, I guess life, and by that I mean everyone's life, should have at least some time doing what they want. I realize some do not get that, but that doesn't mean others shouldn't.

I do believe that life at the bottom should not be so cushy that nobody has the desire to move up. It's just I'm not as quick as some to believe that it actually is. Some make welfare seem like this lavish and delightful party that is so much better than having a job, nobody in their right mind would aspire to more. And now, it looks like they've added social media to the orgy that is living at the bottom rung of the ladder. Again, that doesn't really bother me much. At least nowhere near as much as many other things do.

And, because of the fact that I'm more interested in getting people in need, what they need, I'm more inclined to give to charities like Second Harvest Food Bank than I am in handing out cash to guys on the street. However, I don't put restrictions on any money I do put in a guy's cup. I recognize offering to buy someone a sandwich rather than hook them up with money, but maybe dude just needs a beer.

So you are of the opinion that someone who accepts charity should not be allowed to enjoy themselves at all? That, if you are not pulling your weight, each and every waking moment should be spent trying to further yourself. Again, I guess life, and by that I mean everyone's life, should have at least some time doing what they want. I realize some do not get that, but that doesn't mean others shouldn't.

I do believe that life at the bottom should not be so cushy that nobody has the desire to move up. It's just I'm not as quick as some to believe that it actually is. Some make welfare seem like this lavish and delightful party that is so much better than having a job, nobody in their right mind would aspire to more. And now, it looks like they've added social media to the orgy that is living at the bottom rung of the ladder. Again, that doesn't really bother me much. At least nowhere near as much as many other things do.

And, because of the fact that I'm more interested in getting people in need, what they need, I'm more inclined to give to charities like Second Harvest Food Bank than I am in handing out cash to guys on the street. However, I don't put restrictions on any money I do put in a guy's cup. I recognize offering to buy someone a sandwich rather than hook them up with money, but maybe dude just needs a beer.

This.

I guess one of the things that amazes me so much about this right wing obsession is that they think there are vast armies of these people out there, vacuuming up 45% of the nation's GDP and generally having a permanent party.

Meanwhile, thousands of deaths and trillions in treasure slide by in misbegotten wars that no-one pays attention to because the man behind the curtain is pointing them all at some bum on Twitter. :wacko: