[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NYC eats

BeeR

Just went for first time. The places I went:

Thai 51: eh. It was "OK" Thai food, or maybe pretty good tops. We did takeout so can't comment much on the place, but it's only about as big as a walk-in closet (like many there I suppose).

Angelos: good but overrated pizza. I thought oh boy, real NY pizza and this place is written up as really good so maybe my expectations were too high. Again it was fine, really fresh ingrediants and all that, but a little bland and skimpy on the cheese. And no I am not the type who likes pizza which is nothing but greasy cheese like those disgusting chain pizzas. But cmon pizza in a top-rated NY pizza place should be amazing.

Cornerstone Pub: OK, it's just a pub and we only got nachos; maybe I shouldn't even include here as expectations were very modest. But they more or less sucked.

Overall I guess I shouldn't have assumed that just because it's NYC that every place would have amazing food, but overall I gotta say I was underwhelmed. Maybe it's a midtown east thing?

new york has a lot of excellent restaurants. it also has a lot of sub-par and mediocre restaurants

Yeah that was a dumb assumption on my part that it (Manhatten) would all be great.

Any recommendations for roughly the middle of the island that aren't silly expensive?

Yeah that was a dumb assumption on my part that it (Manhatten) would all be great.

Any recommendations for roughly the middle of the island that aren't silly expensive?

it has been way too long since i've been to give rec's outside of the bigger name, expensive places. i'll defer to the local huddlers.

Angelos: good but overrated pizza. I thought oh boy, real NY pizza and this place is written up as really good so maybe my expectations were too high. Again it was fine, really fresh ingrediants and all that, but a little bland and skimpy on the cheese. And no I am not the type who likes pizza which is nothing but greasy cheese like those disgusting chain pizzas. But cmon pizza in a top-rated NY pizza place should be amazing.

Just to be clear, are you claiming you didn't really care for something that most people enjoy? :wacko:

Beer, I cant believe you didnt tell me you were coming :wacko: . I have a great recommendation for Pizza. It is a brick oven pizza place called Lazzarras pizza . 221 W. 38th street. If you are going for lunch, get there early because it fills up fast.

Right next to Lazzarras is a Jewish place called Bens if you were in the mood for a corned beef or Pastrami sandwich

Frankie and Johnnies is an awesome steak house on W 37th between 5th and 6th but its expensive.

Havana on 38th street between 5th and 6th is a great place for Spanish food

Arnos is a good Italian place on broadway and 38th but it is expensive

Our favorite pizza is John's on Bleecker St. in the village.

Ruby Foo's in Times Square is a good place for Asian finger foods like dumplings, sushi, etc.

Heartland Brewery is a great casual place with really good food and beer.

For Italian, take a cab into Little Italy and walk around and browse the menu boards. If you have a smartphone you can check reviews too. For the most part you can't go wrong.

Amarone is my first stop every time I'm in New York. It's on 9th between 47th and 48th. Great italian...little spot, good prices. I've probably been there 30 times. Every time I go, I struggle deciding between 5-6 menu items. Then they come and give the specials. I have yet to order off the menu.

Mint is good Indian.

There's a Vietnamese place that I went to last time and was blown away. Name is escaping me right now, but I'll update with it.

I've certainly been underwhelmed more often than amazed, but there are, without doubt, some great jewels in the city.

There's a Vietnamese place that I went to last time and was blown away. Name is escaping me right now, but I'll update with it.

We went to Pho Grand in Chinatown back in January. One of the best bowls of pho I've ever had.

Our favorite pizza is John's on Bleecker St. in the village.

Ruby Foo's in Times Square is a good place for Asian finger foods like dumplings, sushi, etc.

FWIW the dumplings from Thai 51 were really good - although they didn't give us any soy sauce. (?)

... good but overrated pizza. I thought oh boy, real NY pizza and this place is written up as really good so maybe my expectations were too high. Again it was fine, really fresh ingrediants and all that, but a little bland and skimpy on the cheese... But cmon pizza in a top-rated NY pizza place should be amazing.

Ya, I used to think the same thing... NY pizza must be good because of all the hype.,,, but now I'm starting to think it must be an old legend that just gets past from generation to generation. So what the myth has become is that NY pizza is the best?!?! So you mean to tell me that not one person in NY that makes great pizza has moved away to other parts of the country and started up a pizza joint? C'mon.

Ya, I used to think the same thing... NY pizza must be good because of all the hype.,,, but now I'm starting to think it must be an old legend that just gets past from generation to generation. So what the myth has become is that NY pizza is the best?!?! So you mean to tell me that not one person in NY that makes great pizza has moved away to other parts of the country and started up a pizza joint? C'mon.

First time we bit into a slice at John's, my wife and I looked at each other like we just discovered a chest full of gold bullion buried in the back yard.

I'm not saying other pizza isn't good...there is something about their dough and sauce, and how the cheese is liquefied...it's just perfect pie, it's exactly what pizza should taste like. We only get plain, because toppings would obscure the perfect marriage of crust, sauce and cheese.

As far as the NYC mystique, some people say it's the water, others say it's the old coal ovens that only the really old places are still allowed to have. All I know is, we're going back to John's one last time before we move.

I do think some places are overrated though. We went to Grimaldi's in Brooklyn, another place considered by some to be the best in the city, and were really disappointed.

Thought about it but didn't have any food stamps on me. Besides I gotta really be in the mood for watermelon and chitterlings.

First time we bit into a slice at John's, my wife and I looked at each other like we just discovered a chest full of gold bullion buried in the back yard.

I'm not saying other pizza isn't good...there is something about their dough and sauce, and how the cheese is liquefied...it's just perfect pie, it's exactly what pizza should taste like. We only get plain, because toppings would obscure the perfect marriage of crust, sauce and cheese.

As far as the NYC mystique, some people say it's the water, others say it's the old coal ovens that only the really old places are still allowed to have.

I think Angelos has the allegedly so important coal ovens. yawn.