[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

looking for a used van/SUV

muck

Requirements, in order:

1) Can haul at least six people

2) Price range = $6,000 to $10,000

3) Reliable

4) Relatively inexpensive to maintain

5) Reasonable gas mileage

6) Good storage space (groceries, trips, etc.)

Can anyone make any suggestions for years/makes/models to AVOID?

Because I know zippo about cars, and need to make a decision within the next week or so, I wanted to get this thread going.

Help a huddler out.

TIA.

According to Consumer Reports, you should be especially careful when considering these models of used SUVs and trucks. They have shown several years of much-worse-than-average overall reliability. They are listed alphabetically (1997 through 2004 models).

•Chevrolet Blazer

•Chevrolet S-10 (4WD)

•Chevrolet TrailBlazer

•Dodge Dakota (4WD)

•GMC Envoy

•GMC Jimmy

•GMC Sonoma (4WD)

•Jeep Grand Cherokee

•Land Rover Discovery

•Lincoln Navigator

•Mercedes-Benz M-Class

•Oldsmobile Bravada

•Pontiac Aztek

•Saturn Vue

Taken from ask.com FWIW.

We had a Blazer that was nothing but problems. Stay away from those.

my mom's van would be perfect for ya, she want's somethun smaller.

http://www.edmunds.com/chrysler/town-and-country/2002/

her's is white, 92,000 miles, mostly highway to arizona where it spent it's winters.

It's the Limited "Top of the Line" whoever gets moms van is one lucky mofo

Edited by nuke'em ttg

my mom's van would be perfect for ya, she want's somethun smaller.

http://www.edmunds.com/chrysler/town-and-country/2002/

her's is white, 92,000 miles, mostly highway to arizona where it spent it's winters.

It's the Limited "Top of the Line" whoever gets moms van is one lucky mofo

looks good but he needs more than 5 seats.

no third row seating

You notice no Nissan's are on that list to avoid...I've had nothing but success with each of my Nissan's as they are extremely reliable and cheap to maintain. My latest xTerra doesn't tow like my last one as the gas mileage sucks when it's pulling...it also only seats 5. I'd look at the Armada's as they are very reliable and seat about 7. Might be difficult to find a used one as people don't want to give them up. Might look at the Pathfinders as well although I'm not sure how many people it will seat.

My wife has a Honda Odyssey and the maintenance light stays on no matter how many trips to the mechanic. Currently needs about $1,000 in repairs although it is still running. Been fairly reliable although it has had it's moments where it wouldn't start.

I've been shopping for one also d. You can get an 04-05 Ford Explorer with 70-80,000 miles for about 10,000.

Third row seat, 4 wheel drive for winter, etc.

I'm looking to buy one this week.

that's like comparing a Foreman grill to my moms Green Egg......some lucky bassturd is gettin it, just wanted ta help out

I looked at most of the SUVs with 3rd row seats and vans a few months ago. My youngest kid wanted me to get a SUV because vans suck. That was until he sat in the back of a SUV. He couldn't sit in it without tilting his head. I'm disappointed in that most SUVs need a V-8. I haven't needed a V-8 since the 70's. I was looking at the same price range that you were. But I found a 08 Dodge Grand Caravan that I couldn't pass on. It get's 20-27 Mpg. I love the Entertainment system that includes two tv monitors. I think that the Chrysler T&C is still a good van as well.

Vans have more room and also get more mileage than most SUVs.