[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Heading to DC

Egret

I'm heading to DC at the end of the month with the wife and six-year-old. We have our capitol and white house tours all set. We're planning on hitting the Smithsonian as well. What are some other sites that we should see?

I'm heading to DC at the end of the month with the wife and six-year-old. We have our capitol and white house tours all set. We're planning on hitting the Smithsonian as well. What are some other sites that we should see?

I work at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and we have a very popular tour. It is located right next to the Holocaust museum about 4 blocks from the Washington Monument. PM me if you want/need any info, we could meet for lunch as well if you'd like.

Pick just one building in the Smithsonian, you'll never get through them all in a month, never mind a couple of days. Where are you staying? That may influence some of the things you might want to try. Also, I cannot stress this enough, learn to use the Metro. You do not, under any circumstances, want to drive in DC. Hell, the people that live there regularly want to blow their brains out (or someone one else's) for having to drive there.

Oh yeah, definitely hit up TBone for the Mint tour. Very cool place.

I work at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and we have a very popular tour. It is located right next to the Holocaust museum about 4 blocks from the Washington Monument. PM me if you want/need any info, we could meet for lunch as well if you'd like.

Very cool! I'll send you a PM with our dates and info.

Pick just one building in the Smithsonian, you'll never get through them all in a month, never mind a couple of days. Where are you staying? That may influence some of the things you might want to try. Also, I cannot stress this enough, learn to use the Metro. You do not, under any circumstances, want to drive in DC. Hell, the people that live there regularly want to blow their brains out (or someone one else's) for having to drive there.

Oh yeah, definitely hit up TBone for the Mint tour. Very cool place.

We're staying at my cousin's place in Silver Springs. He's close to the Metro, so we plan on using that to get where we need to go.

The Wall and the WWII memorial.

Especially the Wall, the most gut-wrenching piece of masonry in existence. Also, in Arlington, the Iwo Jima memorial - much bigger than you'd think and twice as spectacular.

Float on a ferry down the Potomac to Alexandria.

Lincoln and Washington Monuments, of course.

National Zoo - free and excellent

If you do want to go to the Holocaust Museum, it is free but tickets for each day are gone by around 9:00 am.

Edit to capitalize Wall.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Tbone works at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

ETA: I'm jealous. Took a bus ride through DC one spring back to my ship. It looked super cool. Hopeing to take the kids there when the youngest is a little older. Have fun. Maybe you can sneak in a cool run one monring. If you can do one of the guided walking tours, I would advise it. We did one in Boston that was incredible.

Edited by Clubfoothead

One of the greatest family trips we had.

Our favorites:

Smithsonian Museums - natural history, air and space in particular.

Have to go to the Lincoln Memorial, the Korean War and Vietnam War Memorials next to that and the WWII memorial at the far end of the reflecting pond. The Vietnam Memorial was the most moving with mementos and such left at the bottom of the wall under names. These memorials are all in a line and well worth seeing.

The Spy Museum was a lot of fun for my son.

Robert E. Lee's home that the Northern Aggressors stole Arlington cemetery and changing of the guard.

Very cool! I'll send you a PM with our dates and info.

We're staying at my cousin's place in Silver Springs. He's close to the Metro, so we plan on using that to get where we need to go.

Take the Red Line to Metro center and transfer to the Orange/Blue Line to the Smithsonian Stop. It will bring you out in the middle of the Mall, Air and Space is about 1 block away.

Man . . when I worked for a congressman we had to give Capital tours all the time. It is fascinating, all the history in that building. :wacko:

Smithsonian is easily a solid week of sightseeing.

Pentagon tour is kinda cool.

Stay away from Dupont Circle NTTAWWT

Georgetown campus was a lot of fun, and the Basilica at Catholic University is stunning.

There's something nuts about having the Wright Bros plane in a room next to the Mercury capsule. And the natural history museum is great and something that can be done in a few hours... The wife gets to see the Hope Diamond and a bunch more of ridiculous stuff.

I was blown away by the Korean War Memorial, in part because I caught it at the time of day when the statues reflect into the wall that has ghost like reliefs on it, making it look like ghosts within ghosts. I'm actually with the critics on the WW2 Memorial and didn't like it all that much. :wacko:

And the National Archive is worth any wait necessary to see a copy of the Magna Carta, Declaration and Constitution.