[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why teachers resign

SEC=UGA

I do not know where these numbers come from, but my wife is the highest paid kindergarten teacher at her school and she makes nowhere near $50k. I wish she did. :wacko:

They come from the BLS. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you make somewhere between $210 and $324K your wife should really have no room for complaints since she is obviously doing it out of love for her profession as her income is probably merely used to support extravagance.

:rofl::tup::wacko:

Take a look at the OPM civil servant wage scales. :lol:

:rofl::tup::wacko:

Take a look at the OPM civil servant wage scales. :lol:

Grade and Step?

BTW... Why the hell haven't you bolted to Beoing, MDD, Raytheon, etc... Jesus, man, yer leaving money on the table.

Edited by SEC=UGA

According to McKinsey's report:

The US attracts most of its teachers from the bottom 2/3 of college classes, with nearly half coming from the bottom 1/3.

so there is a glut of graduates in this field, a field in which the qualifications of graduates are significantly watered down by relatively weak academic accomplishment.

as I see it, there is no shortage of teachers. most open teaching jobs have plenty of applicants, giving lie to the assertion that teachers generally are "underpaid". there is, however, a tremendous shortage of GOOD teachers.

so, perhaps the crucial question is, how do you attract better teachers without overpaying the bad and mediocre ones?

Since you make somewhere between $210 and $324K your wife should really have no room for complaints since she is obviously doing it out of love for her profession as her income is probably merely used to support extravagance.

Yes, I'm being a smartass.

If she works at a private school, he may be doing well to make $60-90k / yr.

FYI.

so, perhaps the crucial question is, how do you attract better teachers without overpaying the bad and mediocre ones?

you practice sexism and discrimination against women in other fields and hence the highest grade women will have no alternative but to enter the teaching profession

this strategy worked well enough for us until the 1970s, it certainly can work again

:wacko:

you practice sexism and discrimination against women in other fields and hence the highest grade women will have no alternative but to enter the teaching profession

this strategy worked well enough for us until the 1970s, it certainly can work again

:tup:

we can't go back, now that they have tasted freedom. plus the high-grade women always have the option of stripping.

but you know, something tells me there might be a simpler solution. hmm, let's see, good teachers are underpaid, bad teachers are overpaid...let's keep brainstorming here... :wacko:

we can't go back, now that they have tasted freedom. plus the high-grade women always have the option of stripping.

but you know, something tells me there might be a simpler solution. hmm, let's see, good teachers are underpaid, bad teachers are overpaid...let's keep brainstorming here... :wacko:

You are trying to brainstorm with a teacher, Azdumbass...

:tup:

In conclusion, teachers need to stop complaining about their pay.

Seems to me that most of the complaints are recent, now that their pensions are under threat. Pensions are deferred pay, after all.

I certainly agree that demonstrably bad teachers should be fired much easier than at present (IIRC, California has literally thousands of teachers paid full rate to not come in to work) but if we really are going to value the work good teachers do, we need to fork over.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys is as true as it ever was.

No, the crime is that the wage scale for a profession I deem as important as any other to the strength of our society and its future gets paid a little more than than a circus elephant.

Couldn't agree more with you.

Wrong.

The average per hour wage for a teacher versus the average per hour wage of a person with a bachelors is quite high. Throw in benefits and they're doing quite well comparatively.

Now, if you want tot ascribe a higher value to the work they do than the average person with a bachelors degree you may do so but need to determine what profession to equate it to. Should they make the same as an engineer, architect, lawyer, doctor?

If you read the McKinsey & Co. report that they point to in the posted article you will find some interesting "facts" with regard to the qualifications of our teachers here versus those in the top performing countries (ours are woefully underqualified in comparisson.)

But, we don't need to rehash that argument here.

My wife has been teaching for I think 13 or 14 years now (elementary level). My wife has her Bachelors degree in education and her Masters Degree in Reading plus 33 credits post Masters to remain certified.

I have been working in my field for 12 years now and do not hold a degree or major certifications. I currently have about 1/4 of my credits left before earning my Bachelors of Science in a field not related to my current career.

My wife makes 41k verse my salary which, for the purpose of this posting, is substantially more.

I know a ton of teachers ranging from people 5 years or less and 20 years + between three states and they all make crap salaries compared to their education level.

No, the crime is that the wage scale for a profession I deem as important as any other to the strength of our society and its future gets paid a little more than than a circus elephant.

:wacko: You won't get rich teaching HS on down, but $39K to start aint bad and many professions are worse. You also ignore the job satisfaction aspect, which is why most get into it anyway.

Um........isn't this a circular argument?

? No.

On a more macro scale, it's been evident for years that, very generally, the value of a person to society as a whole is inversely proportional to their compensation.

Not getting this either. There is no rule of thumb for this, but if anything I'd say it's the opposite. But really it's all over the map. And "value to society" is very subjective anyway...

We have one of the highest per capita expenditures per student in the world. We have some of the highest salaries for teachers in the world (yes, I understand that there may be purchasing power discrepancies.) The result of these expenditures are lower test scores and higher drop out rates than many countries in the world. Why is this?

Students and parents also need to uphold their end of the bargain, as well. Students should be held accountable for the inattentiveness and transgressions while at school. Also, students should be placed in classes of their peers rather than lumped together and all taught at an obscenely low level so that the morons and slackers can keep up.

Not saying it's the only reason, but IMO is the worst by far - teacher's authority is a whisper of what it was and should be and maintaining both an orderly classroom and holding kids accountable has become a joke. I've known and talked to a lot of teachers about this at all levels and all have agreed w/this.

well, you could pay for marginal productivity

of course then you have the nightmare problem of determining marginal productivity

a Masters degree in Reading? :wacko:

I forget the real name of it but it is for teaching reading methods to children with issues in reading such as ESL, Dyslexia, ect. I remember her course work was brutal.

ETA:

If you think that sounds weird, my Step-Mother has her Ph.D. in Mathematics

Edited by cliaz

Grade and Step?

BTW... Why the hell haven't you bolted to Beoing, MDD, Raytheon, etc... Jesus, man, yer leaving money on the table.

GS14 with a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering.

As was discussed in another thread about teachers, money /= happiness. If I went to any of those companies, I would be working military systems again. For now, I feel (maybe wrongly) that working at NASA, I am doing something good.

GS14 with a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering.

As was discussed in another thread about teachers, money /= happiness. If I went to any of those companies, I would be working military systems again. For now, I feel (maybe wrongly) that working at NASA, I am doing something good.

Oh how I envy you. One of my friends' dad (Dr. Acuna) worked for NASA for many years and a friend of my wife's family (Lou Demayo) works in some type of think tank for NASA.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if she has considered teaching in a school system that compensates teachers better, or has considered applying to higher paying private schools. As clearly exceptional as she is, accoding to the article, she would have no problem finding better employment in the field she loves.

You must think schools print money in this economy. Teachers are being let go and the funds are barely there to keep schools running.

I wonder if she has considered teaching in a school system that compensates teachers better, or has considered applying to higher paying private schools. As clearly exceptional as she is, accoding to the article, she would have no problem finding better employment in the field she loves.

one would think - that being at least a moderately educated lady - that the idea that you came up with in a couple minutes was considered by her over the months and weeks that she's been evaluating the options she has. Just guessing on this one.