[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

First Root Canal

Sugar Magnolia

I had one. The biggest annoyance was them keeping your mouth forced wide open for 3 hours. I had a headache for two days from that. The procedure was not as bad as I expected otherwise.

With all the time spent on your knees I thought keeping your mouth open for 3 hours would be a walk in the park :wacko:

The procedure was painless. Afterwards.... Dry Sockets = lots of pain

Dry socket is absolutely miserable. When I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled a few years ago I couldn't sleep and kept weeping in pain. The weird thing was that when i went back to my Dr he took some gauze dipped in this clover smelling stuff and put it into the sockets and the pain went away almost instantly. I still asked for percs though.

I think the trick is to not do anything that would require a sucking motion in the mouth (drinking from a straw, smoking, Clubfoothead) as the negative pressure will pull out the scab and expose the bone to the environment of your mouth. I think dry sockets is nothing more than inflammation of the bone.

I've been told it's like taking your shoes off thru your mouth! :wacko:

Just kidding. :lol: I don't think dry sockets are a problem cause there is no missing tooth. MY wife had that w/her molars also. Nasty chit!

Good luck, Shug! :tup:

I've had 3 root canals and all were a piece of cake. The numbing shots are the most annoying part but it's 1,2,3. The only other part is how long they take and how long your mouth will have to be open. I should also add that it depends on how updated your dentist's equipment and technology are. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me. Best of luck but you should be fine.

How do you prevent dry sockets? I had those with wisdom teeth and was taking Perocet with Wild Turkey shots.

Preventing a dry socket- Because smoking is a big risk factor for dry socket, avoid cigarettes, cigars, and any other tobacco products for a day or so before your surgery. If you take birth control pills, ask your dentist about performing the extraction on a day when you are getting the lowest dose of estrogen. The hormone can affect the ability of the blood to clot. Also, check with your dentist about other medications you are taking that can interfere with normal blood clotting. After surgery, avoid drinking through a straw and spitting for the first few days. Also don't rinse your mouth more than your dentist recommends. If you do rinse -- do so gently. Be sure to visit your dentist for all scheduled follow-up visits.

With all the time spent on your knees I thought keeping your mouth open for 3 hours would be a walk in the park :wacko:

Dry socket is absolutely miserable. When I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled a few years ago I couldn't sleep and kept weeping in pain. The weird thing was that when i went back to my Dr he took some gauze dipped in this clover smelling stuff and put it into the sockets and the pain went away almost instantly. I still asked for percs though.

I think the trick is to not do anything that would require a sucking motion in the mouth (drinking from a straw, smoking, Clubfoothead) as the negative pressure will pull out the scab and expose the bone to the environment of your mouth. I think dry sockets is nothing more than inflammation of the bone.

Basically.

The socket is the hole in the bone where the tooth has been removed. After a tooth is pulled, a blood clot forms in the socket to protect the bone and nerves underneath. Sometimes that clot can become dislodged or dissolve a couple of days after the extraction. That leaves the bone and nerve exposed to air, food, fluid, and anything else that enters the mouth. This can lead to infection and severe pain that can last for five or six days.

Some people are more likely to get dry sockets because they smoke, or have poor oral hygiene, have wisdom teeth pulled, have greater than usual trauma during the tooth extraction surgery, use birth control pills or have a history of dry socket after having teeth pulled.

No big deal. I'm going in Friday morning for my permanent crown after one. My dentist is the best. She's also very hawt...which helps. I'm guessing that's not much help for you though. Piece of cake though. I love the novSPAMne.

ETA: a c a i is SPAM???

Edited by TimC

Well it's done.

I took 1 mg of xanex (which my dog gets to knock him out for thunderstorms, and is a lot of more than normally prescribed for humans), plus guzzled two beers right before leaving, rinsed my mouth out with scope to hide the beer smell, and asked them to give me nitrous up to the max.. legal limit. I slept through almost the entire procedure, and hardly remember it. They said I was snoring :wacko: I didn't tell them about my self medication part, as I doubt they would be too happy.

My husband did drive me btw.

Well it's done.

I took 1 mg of xanex (which my dog gets to knock him out for thunderstorms, and is a lot of more than normally prescribed for humans), plus guzzled two beers right before leaving, rinsed my mouth out with scope to hide the beer smell, and asked them to give me nitrous up to the max.. legal limit. I slept through almost the entire procedure, and hardly remember it. They said I was snoring :tup: I didn't tell them about my self medication part, as I doubt they would be too happy.

you know that stuff is truth serum? who knows what secrets you told... :wacko:

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

I took 1 mg of xanex (which my dog gets to knock him out for thunderstorms, and is a lot of more than normally prescribed for humans), plus guzzled two beers right before leaving, rinsed my mouth out with scope to hide the beer smell, and asked them to give me nitrous up to the max.. legal limit. I slept through almost the entire procedure, and hardly remember it. They said I was snoring :wacko: I didn't tell them about my self medication part, as I doubt they would be too happy.

I'm pretty sure that how dentists make babies.

Glad it went well.

you know that stuff is truth serum? who knows what secrets you told... :wacko:

Don't know about truth serum but I do know that one time at the dentist years ago I think they lost track of the Nitrous level and I had some sort of weird halucination that I was trapped inside a cat's body. I started freaking out and trying to talk or meow or something and they turned it down. :tup:

The point of that story is that I could have cared less what they did to my teeth !!

Well it's done.

I took 1 mg of xanex (which my dog gets to knock him out for thunderstorms, and is a lot of more than normally prescribed for humans), plus guzzled two beers right before leaving, rinsed my mouth out with scope to hide the beer smell, and asked them to give me nitrous up to the max.. legal limit. I slept through almost the entire procedure, and hardly remember it. They said I was snoring :lol: I didn't tell them about my self medication part, as I doubt they would be too happy.

:rofl: Glad it went well!

I have a cure for snoring, but it's called a wife!!! :tup: (A kick in the ribs is a cure) Not gonna work for you. :wacko:

God bless.

rr26

• 2 months later...

I had my 1st root canal a month ago...the only thing I felt is when he severed a nerve...or something (I'm not really sure) and that's before he did any work....

he did something that made me wince and my eye got watery....after that I felt nothing and got some pain pills on the cheap that I.....umm threw away because I didn't even require them....

Well it's done.

nitrous? I didn't even get that...they just numbed me and went to work...