[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Will Antonio Brown affect Mike Wallace Numbers?

supadupafly87

I dunno. I tend to ignore WR play in the preseason for the most part. Not that WR play should be ignored entirely but it seems that WR blowups in preseason rarely predict regular season success. RB success in the preseason is a more relevant forecasting tool, imo. In summation - I don't know.

To give you the quick answer, no, I don't think Antonio Brown will cut into Mike Wallace's numbers.

The one thing Antonio Brown has done, in my mind is earn the #3 WR slot to start the season. His play will determine how long he keeps it. Emmanuel Sanders was extremely impressive as a rookie. Antonio Brown came on late, but, has been the jaw-dropper of the pre-season, not only in the games, but, in practice too. Roethlisberger, Hines Ward & the coaching staff have been raving about how quickly Brown is picking up the offense. I hope the Steelers reward his effort by starting him as the #3 WR in week 1, even if Sanders is healthy.

As for the Steelers passing game, they quietly put up solid numbers last year, and Roethlisberger was extremely efficient. In fact, I think he only threw 5 picks. The offensive line is still a weakness, but, Ben helps minimize that effect by making plays out of the pocket. They definitely have weapons in the receiving game, with play-makers in Wallace, Brown & Sanders, to go along with reliable veteran possession guys in Ward & Miller. Anything Cotchery brings will be a healthy addition to an already potent receiving corps. Teams are definitely not going to be able to live with 7/8 in the box to stop the Steelers running game any longer.

All of that said, Wallace is still the man to own in this receiving corps, despite the quiet pre-season.

Although I would totally agree that Wallace owners have nothing to worry about with Browns performance but what about Hines Ward owners? Do you guys see Brown leap frogging him into the #2 spot?

He doesn't strike me as the possession receiver who Roethlisberger would trust 100% to break off a route on a blitz. Add Ward's ability to block downfield, and I think Ward is safe in that roll.

Ward is not done yet. Soon, but not yet, unless of course he gets an injury that slows him down even a little. Having the trust of his Q.B. and his Coaching staff is worth a lot.

As a Sanders owner Brown's emergence disappoints me. Sanders is getting passed on the depth chart while injured. I think I am going to have to wait another year for any real contribution. Of course when I drafted him I figured third year break out.

Yeah, all this Brown action will be Wallace action in the regular season. Looks like the Steelers have their bases covered WR-wise. Wow.

I saw an article today saying Sanders is more talented and will pass Brown on the depth charts once he is healthy.....he is faster and smarter supposedly. Any truth to this? I drafted Sanders late but was considering dropping him for Brown but now I don't know which one to go with

Edited by whyme23

I saw an article today saying Sanders is more talented and will pass Brown on the depth charts once he is healthy.....he is faster and smarter supposedly. Any truth to this? I drafted Sanders late but was considering dropping him for Brown but now I don't know which one to go with

He isn't faster than Brown, but, he did pick up the offense quicker and was a better route runner last year. This year, with Sanders injury, Brown has taken advantage, and has done a great job picking up the offense according to the coaching staff and veteran players. Brown's practice success has also shown on the field during the pre-season games.

You're right I guess they're about the same speed but Sanders is a better route runner. Sanders seems motivated coming off the injury but Brown has looked great so far. Which one would you rather have on your fantasy team?

You're right I guess they're about the same speed but Sanders is a better route runner. Sanders seems motivated coming off the injury but Brown has looked great so far. Which one would you rather have on your fantasy team?

In a dynasty / keeper, I still think that Sanders is the guy to own. In a redraft for just this year, I'd take Brown over Sanders.

In a dynasty / keeper, I still think that Sanders is the guy to own. In a redraft for just this year, I'd take Brown over Sanders.

I'm in a keeper league and drafted him (Sanders) in the 12th round, not sure I would use a keeper pick on him though but who knows. I am mainly looking for the guy who will make the biggest impact this season...sounds like you think Brown is that guy.

Edited by whyme23

He doesn't strike me as the possession receiver who Roethlisberger would trust 100% to break off a route on a blitz. Add Ward's ability to block downfield, and I think Ward is safe in that roll.

This is how I see it as well. Brown looks like a poor man's Wallace, rather than a replacement for Ward. Ward does too many things they need done to lose PT to this guy.