[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting a Droid today

whomper

All you droid users complaining about battery life:

Go to ebay and find a kit of 2 replacement batteries and a wall charger. I got this:

:wacko:

10 bucks with free shipping. I never leave the house without 2 spare batteries.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i set up my personal email and my work email but the icon for email only leads me to my default email which is my work and I am having trouble finding my work email. Can you set it up so they are separate icons ? how do i go from one email acct to another ?

All you droid users complaining about battery life:

Go to ebay and find a kit of 2 replacement batteries and a wall charger. I got this:

10 bucks with free shipping. I never leave the house without 2 spare batteries.

Or you could just get Juice Defender and watch you battery life double at the very least. They have a free, pro and ultimate version. On my Samsung Captivate I can go almost 2 days (sometimes more) before it gets to zero. It used to never even last a day.

I'll send you all my information, settings, etc. You get my corporate e-mail to work on a Droid II Global I'll send you $50. Let me know when you're ready, genius. :wacko:

Microsoft Exchange? Download an app called Touchdown. Costs $20. Would you like me to pm you my payapl account?

Edit to add you can download the trial for free for 30 days and buy the license later. Or uninstall it and download again, etc etc.

Edited by CaP'N GRuNGe

i set up my personal email and my work email but the icon for email only leads me to my default email which is my work and I am having trouble finding my work email. Can you set it up so they are separate icons ? how do i go from one email acct to another ?

I had trouble with this as well. If you are using the default email program, you have to go into the settings and change the default account, exit the program, and then re-open to switch accounts. Yeah, dumb. Eventually, I started using K-9 for my work email and the default for personal. It was easier. I highly recommend K-9. Its free and easier to use.

Couldn't get my corporate e-mail account to work on the Droid II Global. I went to Verizon, had our IT team try, for weeks and weeks and for some reason it just would not work. I could receive e-mail, just couldn't send. Mind you, it worked fine on the original Droid. My attraction to the Droid was always the full "real" keyboard as opposed to the touch screen on most other phones. However, because of the e-mail issue, I decided to get the iPhone. I went into the parking lot, and within 2 minutes had my corporate e-mail working, and very quickly got used to the touch screen keyboard I thought I wouldn't like. I am NOT and Apple guy, but I love my iPhone.

I still have the Droid II and use it when I travel internationally because the iPhone isn't global yet. That would be my one major issue with the iPhone.

Did you ever try a different email program than the default? I had a similar problem when I first started with my droid and my work email. I had to make the outgoing server the gmail account to send. it was strange. When I moved to K-9 email, it worked flawlessly without using gmail for outgoing emails.

Did you ever try a different email program than the default? I had a similar problem when I first started with my droid and my work email. I had to make the outgoing server the gmail account to send. it was strange. When I moved to K-9 email, it worked flawlessly without using gmail for outgoing emails.

I wonder if that program will solve my email issues. I have three Gmail accounts that I use quite regularly. On the first one, I can't delete something off my phone without it being deleted off the server. The check-box option in my settings that controls this is not there, as it is with my second account, which seems to work fine. The third is a corporate email that runs through Gmail. It works OK except every time I send an email, I get a copy sent to my phone.

:tup:

First off, if you want to call and talk about this waaay more in depth, just give me a call and I can help you out. I don't think I've talked to you since that Vegas trip a couple of years ago and that remains a little fuzzy, well, except Twiley trying to puke on everyone...:wacko:

I've had an EVO for the last year and absolutely love it. I rooted it (jailbreak in other terms) and have full access to all features, etc. Like Double Agent said, do your research and it isn't hard to do.

As for apps, DO NOT use a task killer as they've been proven over and over in the Android community to be counter-productive. Definitely get Appbrain, which allows you to manage your phone apps from a website. You can choose which programs to install/de-install and it is great if you lose your phone and have to reload everything.

If you really want to delve in to your phone, the XDA developer's forum is a must.

There are programs such as Prey and Webkey that will allow you to control your phone if someone steals it.

Here is what I have but remember, some of them are root required;

ILikeSoup's Apps on the phone

Phone: HTC Evo 4G

93 total, 85 free (91%), 8 paid (8%), 180MB total size, $24.20 total price

- TripIt - Travel Organizer

- ShopSavvy QR & Barcode Scanner

- ShootMe (Screen Grabber)

- Facebook for Android

- PicMe (Screen Grabber)

- Dropbox

- Folder Organizer

- ROM Manager

- Google Maps

- Prey Anti-Theft

- Moviefone - Movies & Showtimes

- Netflix

- Zillow Real Estate & Rentals

- SoundHound ∞

- ES File Explorer

- Bloomberg for Smartphone

- Words With Friends Free

- NFL '11

- GEICO BroStache

- Google Shopper

- Google Voice

- CBS Sports Pro Football

- AppBrain App Market

- Google Sky Map

- Titanium Backup ★ root

- ASTRO File Manager

- Wifi Analyzer

- YouTube

- Trapster

- Beautiful Widgets

- Bank of America

- Exchange Rates

- Android Terminal Emulator

- Angry Birds

- MyBackup Pro

- Calorie Counter - MyFitnessPal

- GasBuddy - Find Cheap Gas

- A Google Map Navigation Book

- WHERE

- SystemPanelLite Task Manager

- Concur

- FOX News

- Webkey (ROOT REQUIRED)

- FOX News Radio

- Gmail

- Adobe Flash Player 10.3

- Handcent SMS

- ESPN ScoreCenter

- Google Earth

- OpenTable

- SetCPU for Root Users

- The Weather Channel

- Mahjong

- Linpack for Android

- Google Goggles

- WSOP HOLD'EM LEGEND

- Voice Search

- Amortization Calculator

- BW Animation Package

- Yahoo! Finance

- Adobe® Reader®

- Unit Conversion

- redbox

- Speedtest.net Mobile

- DocGPS

- CNN

- No Lock

- Mobile Queue - Ad Supported

- Google Translate

- ROM Manager (Premium)

- SwitchPro Widget

- DIRECTV

- StopWatch & Timer

- CacheMate for Root Users

- Quadrant Standard Edition

- Priority Club® Rewards

- Google Chrome to Phone

- Spare Parts

- Chuck Norris Facts

- Fps2D

- MSL Reader

- Unblock Me FREE

- Dolphin Browser

- Quick Boot (Reboot)

- Speedtest

- App to SD (Free, No ADs)

- Tippy Tipper (Tip Calculator)

- Home Switcher

- LauncherPro

- Google Search

- Street View on Google Maps

- Swype Keyboard

View this app list on AppBrain: http://www.appbrain.com/user/ILikeSoup/apps-on-the-phone

I had trouble with this as well. If you are using the default email program, you have to go into the settings and change the default account, exit the program, and then re-open to switch accounts. Yeah, dumb. Eventually, I started using K-9 for my work email and the default for personal. It was easier. I highly recommend K-9. Its free and easier to use.

:wacko: Done. Thanks :tup:

I've had an EVO for the last year and absolutely love it. I rooted it (jailbreak in other terms) and have full access to all features, etc. Like Double Agent said, do your research and it isn't hard to do.

:wacko: wish we woulda done this instead of

- Words With Friends Free

on monday night... :tup:

Well, I owe you a :tup: ... but, question... is there a way to select multiple emails and delete from the "home" screen? I'm not seeing a way to do this. :wacko:

Do you use that K9 program? Or another one? So far, so good except for the part about not being able to delete msgs from the homescreen.

I do not use K9. It looks pretty good but doesn't support Exchange 10. As for email, I only have my personal email that I use on my EVO. And that is gmail, which works flawlessly.

I do not use K9. It looks pretty good but doesn't support Exchange 10. As for email, I only have my personal email that I use on my EVO. And that is gmail, which works flawlessly.

I couldn't stand the Gmail app that was loaded on the phone. :tup:

I should be like Soup and get the BB for email and use the HTC as a gadget. :wacko:

I couldn't stand the Gmail app that was loaded on the phone. :lol:

I should be like Soup and get the BB for email and use the HTC as a gadget. :tup:

Correction sir, my BB is my work cell...can't help that one. The EVO is...to be cooler than tonormanondog. :wacko:

Battery life is a huge issue. It never lasts an entire day. I recommend picking up a second battery.

+1

I have a 2nd battery fully charged at all times. Since I am on set 12-16hrs per day, it is almost mandatory. I don't recommend getting your battery over the internet though....fork up the $30 and go to a Verizon store.

Well, I owe you a :tup: ... but, question... is there a way to select multiple emails and delete from the "home" screen? I'm not seeing a way to do this. :wacko:

No. I think you can only eliminate them all or delete them one at a time. Unfortunately.

Head to Head: iPhone vs. Android

Android blows at streaming videos, its apps are buggy, and it has more malware. :wacko:

You iPhone fanboys are funny... Read pages 3 and 4 of that article, where another author refutes pretty much all of those statements that iPhones are that superior (and are all overstated concerns anyway).

You can have fun watching 4-inch movies at a marginally better speed and quality up until your iPhone dies on you in a few hours, while I'll pop in a new battery and use all of the phone's more functional and practical uses like being a mobile phone/browser/GPS without having to be connected to the wall, and just rely on my PC and TV when I want to watch high-quality videos.

I've never understood that concern about video streaming... I mean, are we so TV obsessed that we can't even go out without demanding the highest-quality videos on the smallest possible screen? I'm perfectly fine with a slightly grainy Redzone stream when I absolutely have to watch on my phone.