[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting annoyed...

SEC=UGA

A lady that works for me brings her 20 YO son to work everyday. Well, not actually to work, he sleeps in the back of her car while he waits for his friends to come pick him up to go to band practice. But, it isn't that he just sleeps in the car, he gets out of the car at times, smokes cigarettes in front of the office, comes in occasionally to use the restroom and otherwise just annoys me being outside.

She has to bring him to work for another band member to pick him up because he has no license (4 DUI's) and they won't drive out to west bumblefu(k to pick his sorry ass up.

He has long hair, multiple tatoos, those big holes in his ears, piercings all over the rest of his face and dresses like sh!t.

The other day she got a flat tire, called up the office and one of my PMs and I went out there to help. Well, there she stood with that worthless little SOB... Flat tire still on the car. I got out of the truck, asked if she had a jack, "I've not looked" was her response, I looked at him and he shrugged and snorted. I pulled the jack outta my truck (simply because at that point that was the easiest thing to do), she didn't have a spare. So I take the tire and wheel, she didn't have $40, to the used tire place and had one put on. Got back there handed him the tire and asked him to put it on to which he responded, 'I don't know how to do that." At which point I decided that it would simply be easier for me to just do it while he watched and I explained each step to him.

Anyway, it is apparent that she is having issues making ends meet. We have constantly gone out of our way to help her. We bought her a new set of tires a year and a half ago (which her older son evidently has burned through), we bought her a truck 5 years ago (she was paying us for it, basically we financed it for her. Her older son totaled it, surprise, she allowed her insurance to lapse...), etc...

This new situation is now the most recent in a long line of stupid ass decisions she has made.

I suggested the other day that the 4 to 5 hours that he spends in the truck could be spent working as there are numerous retail and fastfood joints within walking distance of our office. She just kind of chuckled and said that "He wouldn't do that. He's in a band and they're starting to do well." Which explains why he is always hitting her up for money and she is constantly broke despite making $48 K a year.

She does great work and knows how to do anything in the office, but I'm really getting close to throwing her out on her ass as I could probably replace her for the same amount of money at this point with a person who doesn't, well, quite frankly, annoy the piss out of me.

I'm to the point where I'm going to have to tell her to leave his ass at home, but know that won't go over well and quite frankly I'm not sure if it is any of my business, except for the fact that he does come into the office at times (and annoys me just being out there.)

I've hinted that it bothers me, but to no avail. Any ideas on how to deal with this other than me just saying; "If I see that worthless sack of taco outside one more time both you and he can take your ass home..."

Edited by SEC=UGA

There are legitimately needy people in this world who just need a hand up. It feels good to help those people. Then there are the parasites...addicted, lazy, good for nothing except another excuse, don't know nuthin' and don't wanna learn nuthin', not ashamed in the slightest to take whatever handout they can get. It feels good to help them too, at first, and then you figure out you're a sucker, shoveling sh*t against the tide.

ETA: oh yeah, the advice...you've helped her plenty, I see nothing wrong with explaining your concern/annoyance in plain English and if she doesn't get it, a written warning might help get the message across.

Edited by matt770

Other than him coming in the office, which you can very easily ban, I'm not sure you have a leg to stand on. I guess you could try and bar him from the parking lot if it's yours.

If it's a place where customers come to visit, I can definitely see a reason to be concerned that a sketchy looking dirtbag is loitering outside. And even if customers don't frequent, it's a place of business and just the principle of it is genuine cause for annoyance IMO.

A lady that works for me brings her 20 YO son to work everyday. Well, not actually to work, he sleeps in the back of her car while he waits for his friends to come pick him up to go to band practice. But, it isn't that he just sleeps in the car, he gets out of the car at times, smokes cigarettes in front of the office, comes in occasionally to use the restroom and otherwise just annoys me being outside.

She has to bring him to work for another band member to pick him up because he has no license (4 DUI's) and they won't drive out to west bumblefu(k to pick his sorry ass up.

He has long hair, multiple tatoos, those big holes in his ears, piercings all over the rest of his face and dresses like sh!t.

The other day she got a flat tire, called up the office and one of my PMs and I went out there to help. Well, there she stood with that worthless little SOB... Flat tire still on the car. I got out of the truck, asked if she had a jack, "I've not looked" was her response, I looked at him and he shrugged and snorted. I pulled the jack outta my truck (simply because at that point that was the easiest thing to do), she didn't have a spare. So I take the tire and wheel, she didn't have $40, to the used tire place and had one put on. Got back there handed him the tire and asked him to put it on to which he responded, 'I don't know how to do that." At which point I decided that it would simply be easier for me to just do it while he watched and I explained each step to him.

Anyway, it is apparent that she is having issues making ends meet. We have constantly gone out of our way to help her. We bought her a new set of tires a year and a half ago (which her older son evidently has burned through), we bought her a truck 5 years ago (she was paying us for it, basically we financed it for her. Her older son totaled it, surprise, she allowed her insurance to lapse...), etc...

This new situation is now the most recent in a long line of stupid ass decisions she has made.

I suggested the other day that the 4 to 5 hours that he spends in the truck could be spent working as there are numerous retail and fastfood joints within walking distance of our office. She just kind of chuckled and said that "He wouldn't do that. He's in a band and they're starting to do well." Which explains why he is always hitting her up for money and she is constantly broke despite making $48 K a year.

She does great work and knows how to do anything in the office, but I'm really getting close to throwing her out on her ass as I could probably replace her for the same amount of money at this point with a person who doesn't, well, quite frankly, annoy the piss out of me.

I'm to the point where I'm going to have to tell her to leave his ass at home, but know that won't go over well and quite frankly I'm not sure if it is any of my business, except for the fact that he does come into the office at times (and annoys me just being out there.)

I've hinted that it bothers me, but to no avail. Any ideas on how to deal with this other than me just saying; "If I see that worthless sack of taco outside one more time both you and he can take your ass home..."

I think you should continue to give money - Nobody tries to be lazy and with enough money and handouts I am 100% sure he will use it well and prosper!!

Edited by gbpfan1231

If it's a place where customers come to visit, I can definitely see a reason to be concerned that a sketchy looking dirtbag is loitering outside. And even if customers don't frequent, it's a place of business and just the principle of it is genuine cause for annoyance IMO.

Agreed but SEC might need the landlord to get the turd out of the lot.

Agreed but SEC might need the landlord to get the turd out of the lot.

That's kind of interesting. I own the building and the parking spaces in front of the building. However, we are in a mixed use development that has an office owners association and a homeowners association. The greenspace in which he hangs out, literally across the drive (25 feet) from the office, is the property of the HOA. Technically I can't ban him from there. But, I could seemingly ban him from the parking lot.

That's kind of interesting. I own the building and the parking spaces in front of the building. However, we are in a mixed use development that has an office owners association and a homeowners association. The greenspace in which he hangs out, literally across the drive (25 feet) from the office, is the property of the HOA. Technically I can't ban him from there. But, I could seemingly ban him from the parking lot.

Give me the address, I'll drive over there and cuss him out good.

This must be an old post? Sounds like this dude would be at the Occupy Wall Street rallies - I am sure he is gone from your parking lot while the rally takes place.

Edited by gbpfan1231

Every day that he is out there you should have somone (a different person each day) call the police and report a suspicious character in the parking lot. Eventually the police will get tired of being called and they will put an end to it.

What's wrong with the Occupy Wall Street rallies?

Much like people taking shots at tea-partiers being racist (as if a few folks who support it being bigots has anything to do with the message it's based on of fiscal responsibility and ending corruption and waste) BTW, disclaimer, I'm not a tea-partier, since the movement has been marginalized and twisted by the mass-media far more than by it's supporters; But people would rather take shots at the ignorance of some of this movement's over-idealistic member's/supporters, rather than realize the bigger ideals and demands for real change that we all seem to want.

In short, you don't have to agree with the "solutions" to recognize the problem; But I guess reason is trumped by political bias, unfortunately.

Make something up. Tell her that due to insurance and the risk to your business should something happen to her son while he hangs out in the parking lot, the risk for a substantial lawsuit exists and that your insurance would drop you in response. Tell her that, based on what you have seen, should he get hurt you feel that there would be no compunction on his part to go after you for damages. This is something that you and your attorney cannot list as an 'acceptable risk' and for the sake of mitigating against it, no one can hang out in your parking lot for any extended length of time (e.g. 45+ minutes). He will either need to find another way to band practice or he will have to wait off site at a fast foot joint or something.

Sorry, the best I could come up with on short notice.

What's wrong with the Occupy Wall Street rallies?

Where did I say anything was wrong with the rallies? Clue - Nowhere.

My whole point is that this guy sounds like he has the looks of the people who have been at the rallies. That does not specifically mean I am for or against the rallies.