[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

thinking seriously about buying a handgun

Azazello1313

I know many of you know your schit.

it would ostensibly in some way be for "home protection", probably kept in a drawer in my nightstand in something like this since there are kids in the house. but more than anything else it would just be something to learn to shoot better and have some fun at the range and/or out in the woods.

I am thinking 9mm will be fine. what is the typical price breakdown on 9mm ammo vs other calibers per round? what other considerations should I be mindful of?

I know glocks get tons of overall recommendations based on several criteria, but I have to say I kind of hate them aesthetically. currently I am leaning toward a sig p226. are there reasons why I should look in a different direction?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little safe is probably a lot safer than the key lock that many handguns have now, which it actually both recommends and warns in one of my gun's handbooks against locking them, since you may not be able to get it unlocked if you need to... I guess the biggest consideration is if you, and only you, can get out it out easily if you need to...

Glocks are obviously preferred, but my bro has a Taurus .45 that shoots like a champ for a lot cheaper than a Glock. If money's not an issue, I wouldn't let aesthetics dissuade you from buying a Glock (it's a gun not a purse afterall Nancy :wacko: ), because they are better guns, but there are plenty of good "poor man's" Glocks out there that will do you just fine and shoot well.

I bought a S&W M&P 40. Shoots nice, and its a bigger caliber than the 9mm. Ammo isnt too bad. Has interchangable grips for those with small, medium, or large hands too (not that that is a selling point, but it might help for anyone else that might shoot).

I also bought another little one for upstairs. HiTec .380. It works, and is really only for an emergency. I dont have a safe as we are renting in our home. When the time comes and we are in our own home, I will buy a large safe that bolts to the ground.

For home protection get a shotgun. If you think you're going to plink an intruder in the dark while sh*tting your pants with a 9mm, unless your Teddy Bruschi, it's not realistic. Plus, if the dude's wired out on crack he probably won't feel the 9mm anyway. A shotgun really is the best solution for protecting your home imo.

I have a Taurus PT92 which has a similar profile to the Sig and is a very reliable gun. Has never jammed and it's reasonably accurate. 9mm is fine for home defense, plenty of stopping power and lethal more often than not at close range. As for ammo cost, spend some money on good quality hollowpoints for when it's by your bedside, but you can use cheaper rounds at the range. Hopefully you'll buy one box of hollowpoints in your lifetime and never use them.

For home protection get a shotgun. If you think you're going to plink an intruder in the dark while sh*tting your pants with a 9mm, unless your Teddy Bruschi, it's not realistic. Plus, if the dude's wired out on crack he probably won't feel the 9mm anyway. A shotgun really is the best solution for protecting your home imo.

Clearly better, but also not necessarily as accessible. There are pros and cons to shotguns versus pistols in home defense.

A shotgun is the best tool if you can get your hands on it quickly and easily. If you can't, thence pistol can be a good choice.

I have a Taurus PT92 which has a similar profile to the Sig and is a very reliable gun. Has never jammed and it's reasonably accurate. 9mm is fine for home defense, plenty of stopping power and lethal more often than not at close range. As for ammo cost, spend some money on good quality hollowpoints for when it's by your bedside, but you can use cheaper rounds at the range. Hopefully you'll buy one box of hollowpoints in your lifetime and never use them.

For whatever caliber one chooses, here are some recommendations for ammo: http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

I'll add to that and recommend the pump variety... I keep one under my bed unloaded, so if I don't have time to load up either the shotgun or the pistol, I still have that "ca-chink" sound like I'm loading one in the chamber... I'd like to think that most criminals with a handgun would think twice if there's a dude with a shotgun on the other side of the door.

As for recommending a handgun, I would go and handle several, find a few that fit right in your hand, and than make a decision from there. Buying on name alone might not be the best thing for you if you end up being uncomfortable with the gun.

I bought a biometric (fingerprint) safe thinking it would be faster to access than a traditional lock and key or combination safe. Also, I wouldn't have to worry about my kids finding the key or worry about it getting misplaced. In theory it makes sense, but I'm disappointed. Frequently, the sensor fails to authenticate me, sometimes multiple times. the extra 20 - 30 seconds it takes to wipe the glass, lick the rest of the dinner of my hand, and try again can be a long time in a home defense situation. I still like the idea of a small biometric safe in the drawer of my nightstand, but if I had to do it over again, I would put some time into researching which mechanisms and which manufacturers are most reliable. Having made the mistake of going cheap, I'll advise you spend to something that works like it should every time.

I do NOT recommend: http://www.gunvault.com/

I'll add to that and recommend the pump variety... I keep one under my bed unloaded, so if I don't have time to load up either the shotgun or the pistol, I still have that "ca-chink" sound like I'm loading one in the chamber... I'd like to think that most criminals with a handgun would think twice if there's a dude with a shotgun on the other side of the door.

This is a very good recommendation. There is NOTHING that sounds like a pump shotgun being chambered with a shell. Even crackheads will recognize the sound and haul azz.

But if you're really wanting that handgun, and want it for home protection, just get the 1911A1 .45 and be done with it. If you're wanting a handgun to go run a lot of rounds thru, well, then get something that's fun to shoot.

I already own a shotgun. not interested in keeping it anywhere near the bed. I'm not that interested in making sure I have a gun that would stop a cranked up cain velazquez in his tracks, just something to put some holes in a bad guy god forbid it ever comes down to it. the "one box of hollowpoints in your life" sentiment I agree with. hell, I'd almost even consider a .22 pistol, but I think I do want a BIT more stopping power than that.

does anyone have a handy cost-per-round breakdown on cheap shooting range ammo for 9mm vs .40S&W vs .45, etc?

Clearly better, but also not necessarily as accessible. There are pros and cons to shotguns versus pistols in home defense.

A shotgun is the best tool if you can get your hands on it quickly and easily. If you can't, thence pistol can be a good choice.

This is what I was thinking. If I buy a shotgun (keep in mind I have children) - I'd have to keep that thing locked up in something big. If someone were to break in I don't think I'd have time to get to it. I like Azz's finger print safe that could fit a small handgun. That option makes the most sense for home protection.

I already own a shotgun. not interested in keeping it anywhere near the bed. I'm not that interested in making sure I have a gun that would stop a cranked up cain velazquez in his tracks, just something to put some holes in a bad guy god forbid it ever comes down to it. the "one box of hollowpoints in your life" sentiment I agree with. hell, I'd almost even consider a .22 pistol, but I think I do want a BIT more stopping power than that.

does anyone have a handy cost-per-round breakdown on cheap shooting range ammo for 9mm vs .40S&W vs .45, etc?

It depends on the type of ammunition, etc.

.45 and .40 rounds costs roughly the same. A box of 50 9 mm rounds should be a few bucks less.

Cheaper than Dirt is a popular website from which you can get an idea.

Sig Sauer's are great if you want to shell out the dough for them. If a "plastic" gun doesn't bother you, check out the Springfield Armory XD series.

They're not pretty, but they're not Glocks.

For home defense, I prefer the .45. I think 9mm is fine though. You need the right ammunition with either.

One thing for you to consider is buying a .45 and a kit that converts the pistol to fire .22 LR rounds, which are pretty inexpensive. So you can plink away at the with cheap .22 ammo and then convert it back to a .45 when you get home.

EDIT to add: Before you buy anything, go down to your local store/range and rent a few guns at a time in different calibers. Odds are that you'll find a caliber and a particular model that you like to fire more than the others. Buy that one.

Edited by Furd

Here's a stupid question - where is the best place to buy a gun? I'm really a newbie at all of this so the more info the better.

First you have to apply for a Firearsm Owners Identification Card (FOID) You can download the applictaion online. Then you can go to a gun store if you have something specific n mind, or you can go to Gander Mountain or Outdoor world. Both have decent selections for what you are looking for brent . . .