[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A really great Christmas present.

Scorcher

Last year my wife was looking at a sight for a shelter that posts pictures of dogs and cats that they have available. The dogs were especially heart wrenching because of their expressive faces. Knowing that this was an 80% kill shelter even made the hopeful expressions seem sad. We saw a dog that we wanted to rescue and decided to go see if it was still available. On the day we went we found that the dog we wanted to see had contracted kennel cough and because we had 2 dogs already we were unable to get the original one we had gone to see. One of the people there asked us if we would be interested in another dog that had been brought back after being adopted once. we agreed to see him. We followed the attendant to an area where the dog in question was the only resident. He ran up to the gate on his cage and gave us a look of defeated hope. We took him to the out side area where he virtually clung to us. He was a beautiful purebred red tick beagle. We learned that he had been brought back because he had had heart worm disease and because of the treatment he cost more to adopt and was returned because the owner decided not to pay the extra money and brought him back for a refund. We said we wanted to think about it, and had to leave because my wife needed to get to work. As we walked away from the building he was still outside and started jumping on the fence and crying as we walked away. It was a pitiful sight in our rear view mirror. We talked on the way home. When we got there, my wife got her car and went to work. I stayed in my car and headed back to the shelter. a year later we both agree that he was the best present we ever gave each other. We named him Dudley and his personality suits his name very well.

Unfortunately dogs and cats have been huge victims of our recent economy with pets being abandoned, because of job loss, the loss of a home or families being forced to move to other cities. They are victims that have no control over their circumstances.

We are fortunate to have a large fenced in yard and were able to adopt another dog, our second rescue. These times have brought a real need for so many causes and I am not placing one over another. I am just saying that if you are someone who can take in another pet or if you have recently lost a pet and feel it is too soon to get another one, please reconsider. Dale Carnegie in one of his books devoted a whole chapter to dogs. He said a salesman could learn from a dog because they are the only creatures that are genuinely glad to see you. They have no other motive. If salesmen could learn to be that way their sales would go up. To me there are no bad pets, just bad pet owners. With a pet it is very simple. You provide the discipline, food and shelter: and they will provide the love.

I would also to add that Dudley and I are currently in a training program to go to hospitals and provide warmth and love to the patients.

Edited by Scorcher

Good post Scorcher.

And I'll second the pound puppy adoption. Over the last 15 years I've adopted 4 dogs from the shelter, and they have all been the best dogs I could possibly imagine.

Thanks Chief. It for sure warms your heart to see the changes in a pound puppy as they become more trusting and sure that they are really home. Dudley had nightmares the first 2 months we had him. He is without a doubt one of the best dogs I have ever had.

check out my signature.

my wife and i cashed in the 401k, moved to the country, built a kennel and started rescuing 6 years ago.

found homes for about 600 dogs since.

this year, however, we have only adopted out around 10 dog. no one is adopting now due to the economy.

of course, we still have to take care of the ones we have.

we hope every day to find that person who is interested in a country dog...

check out my signature.

my wife and i cashed in the 401k, moved to the country, built a kennel and started rescuing 6 years ago.

found homes for about 600 dogs since.

this year, however, we have only adopted out around 10 dog. no one is adopting now due to the economy.

of course, we still have to take care of the ones we have.

we hope every day to find that person who is interested in a country dog...

What a selfless thing to do! Kudos to you and your wife. You are probably feeling the economy more than most. The shelter I referred to is in the country. It seems like country areas have more homeless dogs. Based on your generosity here's hoping you always get first in you money leagues.

As was stated in John's post/link we got a Catahoula mix about a year and a half ago. First rescue we ever did and have no regrets.

Congrats to you, Scorcher, and of course a special congrats to you Dug! :wacko: to both of you.