[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning to be released

DawgTalk

A couple of local guys here keep speculating that Adam Schefter seems to have some sort of deep insight, and is trying everything possible to say he's going to the Dolphins without really "reporting" he's going to the Dolphins.

I'm still sticking to my pick of the Cardinals. There's also local rumors flying around that Rod Graves (Cardinals GM) has not only been in contact several times with Tom Condon since last night, but he's also working the Wayne camp as well to get a baseline of what he wants. They're very quickly trying to make something work where if Peyton comes, Wayne's coming with him. Would LOVE to see it, just don't know how they're gonna pinch all this in under the cap...??

That's hopefully where the Chiefs come in at 38 million under cap.

There is a little exception a club can use to carry over a cap hit to the next year. So if Kolb is cut, his $7 million roster bonus and $3.5 million can be carried over to next year with 1 of there 2 exceptions. This would facilitate a Manning signing that much more realistic. I still think they trade Kolb to Denver but cutting him before March 17, again, is the date I will keep an eye on. I think, whatever the case may be, Manning will be wearing a new jersey by the end of next week.

There is a little exception a club can use to carry over a cap hit to the next year. So if Kolb is cut, his $7 million roster bonus and $3.5 million can be carried over to next year with 1 of there 2 exceptions. This would facilitate a Manning signing that much more realistic. I still think they trade Kolb to Denver but cutting him before March 17, again, is the date I will keep an eye on. I think, whatever the case may be, Manning will be wearing a new jersey by the end of next week.

That doens't make sense to me if I were in Denver. If the Cards cut Kolb BEFORE they owe him his bonus on the 17th, there are no cap ramifications. All $12M of his guaranteed money has already been paid. If they DO keep him and pay him that roster bonus, that $$ counts towards this years cap along with his $3.5M salary, making it extremely difficult to come up with more room to lure Manning here (not that he wants $$ - but he's gonna get it).

So if I'm Denver, why not just wait it out. Let the Cardinals cut Kolb (if they do) and then sign him to a lesser contract as he's now played for 2 teams and still hasn't really panned out. Why get stuck paying him more than you have to - and why give up picks and or a player to get him?

That's hopefully where the Chiefs come in at 38 million under cap.

Yeah, there is no doubt the Chiefs can make the necessary financial commitment and still have enough left over to add some pieces. Just not sure if Manning will come here. He may not see this as the best opportunity to win a Super Bowl.

Yeah, there is no doubt the Chiefs can make the necessary financial commitment and still have enough left over to add some pieces. Just not sure if Manning will come here. He may not see this as the best opportunity to win a Super Bowl.

I think our O-line should scare the crap out of any QB.

That doens't make sense to me if I were in Denver. If the Cards cut Kolb BEFORE they owe him his bonus on the 17th, there are no cap ramifications. All $12M of his guaranteed money has already been paid. If they DO keep him and pay him that roster bonus, that $$ counts towards this years cap along with his $3.5M salary, making it extremely difficult to come up with more room to lure Manning here (not that he wants $$ - but he's gonna get it).

So if I'm Denver, why not just wait it out. Let the Cardinals cut Kolb (if they do) and then sign him to a lesser contract as he's now played for 2 teams and still hasn't really panned out. Why get stuck paying him more than you have to - and why give up picks and or a player to get him?

They don't "OWE" him anything if they release him by March 17th. HOWEVER, it will be a $10.5 million dollar cap hit for this year towards the cap. But, each club is given 2 exceptions to utilize for these very purposes which would push the cap hit to 2013. Trust me, the Cardinal cap WILL get hit if they release him. Its just a matter of it being this year, or 2013. And yeah, it makes no sense to trade for him if you are Denver, but I've seen crazier things happen.

If the Cards cut Kolb BEFORE they owe him his bonus on the 17th, there are no cap ramifications.

According to this article it's a 10.5 million cap hit if they keep him and an 8 million dollar cap hit if they don't, with some flexibility to primarily pay the piper in 2013 (if cut)

Assuming the Cardinals pay the $7 million bonus, Kolb's cap number this year will be $10.5 million ($7 million roster bonus, $2 million signing bonus, $1 million salary, $500,000 workout bonus).

If the Cardinals don't pay the signing bonus, Kolb will still cost them $8 million against the cap, the unprorated portion of his signing bonus.

EDIT: I was reminded that each team can utilize two exceptions per year to this rule, provided the player's contract is terminated prior to June 1. Basically, the players' are treated like those who are cut after June 1. In those cases, the remaining signing bonus would be carried over to the following season.

So what does that mean regarding Kolb's situation? The way I read it, it means the Cardinals would take a $2 million cap charge in 2012 and the remaining $6 million cap hit to 2013, if they choose to.

http://www.azcentral...kevin-kolb.html

Either way, that's a a pretty hefty cap hit that has to come into play at some point along with the fact DB talent was traded away with a somewhat early 2nd round pick this year. That's a long ways away from your sunshine and rainbows premise of the Kolb trade and signing being behind them.

Edited by bushwacked

Sort of curious if Manning is going to hold a one day workout/Pro Day to show he is capable of the throws or just tell teams take me as I am and take his word for it? If he does the latter, lots of teams will back off in my opinion. Think the Chiefs, Dolphins, Cards, 49ers and Texans make sense.....its up to Manning though......if Manning is swayed by playoff potential and pieces in postion--Texans & 49ers. If he is swayed by playoff potential and money--Chiefs could answer that with their big salary cap room (including Wayne)....if it is about control over the offense, money and playoff potential, then I really think the Chiefs, Cards & Dolphins would fit. If its about being home and weather, etc--Dolphins....think the Chiefs and Dolphins make the most sense, but the FA deal with Alex Smith could change the 49ers view.....think the Dolphins are trying to maryy Peyton, while flirting with Flynn....Peyton make sense it and look away.....bottom line Manning is in charge and it is very possible he picks a team we never saw coming!! That would be a good one!!

From what I've read and heard - Manning has it narrowed down to 4 teams.. (1) Dolphins, (2) Cardinals, (3) Broncos, (4) Chiefs..

3 of the 4 are AFC teams - and while they all make sense, I still see this coming down to Miami and Arizona. And while it's no mystery where I think he'll end up - Arizona's only downfall is the lack of a capable left tackle.

(Not that I know what he is thinking) but Miami's biggest downfall is 4 games each season are played against the Patriots and the Jets. Not that Manning will ever back away from a challenge, but the AFC East is a much tougher road to a playoff appearance than the NFC West.