[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning to be released

DawgTalk

A.Smith has still not signed the dotted line.... :thinking: Cmon make it happen! It is an All In move for the next few years but I feel worth the high risk high reward!

I mean out of all the teams named as landing spots they are the only team that was a couple muffed punts away from a superbowl just last year! :brow:

Keggerz you did a lot of searching, copying, and pasting for nothing as all you did were read the words and not take it for the context. Outside of Arizona, who's the most complete team in the league who (based on last season) would have excelled with a healthy QB. The Texans. If I were Manning and Houston showed interest, they would be the highest on my list as they have (1) a stud/superstar WR, (2) a top tier defense, (3) they play the Colts twice a season and he could continue to keep his former team out of the playoff's for the rest of his career, and (4) they're an AFC team - it would be possible to play his brother in the superbowl. With that, Houston doesn't need him. Had Schaub been healthy all season, they would have been strong contenders for a SB run.

The Cardinals postseason hopes were over by mid-season, so many people wrote them off - but what'd they do? They nearly ran the table the 2nd half the season - including a win against the in division 49ers. People say the Cardinals won't be a player cause they gave up a 2nd and DRC for Kevin Kolb. Well, time to look back and say "damn, we missed the bus on that one" and let him go. It's not gonna cost them anything. He's due a beefy roster bonus in a little over a week - but if they let him go - it doesn't hurt them at all. Last year Kolb's contract came with $12M in guaranteed salary. Guess what's already paid off? $12M in guaranteed salary. Time to cut ties, get Manning on an incentive laden deal - sign Wayne to a 3 year deal (as it's heavily speculated Wayne is following Manning) and go get a couple championships. Sure I'll be the one eating crow if I'm wrong - but it all makes sense.

Keggerz you did a lot of searching, copying, and pasting for nothing as all you did were read the words and not take it for the context. Outside of Arizona, who's the most complete team in the league who (based on last season) would have excelled with a healthy QB. The Texans. If I were Manning and Houston showed interest, they would be the highest on my list as they have (1) a stud/superstar WR, (2) a top tier defense, (3) they play the Colts twice a season and he could continue to keep his former team out of the playoff's for the rest of his career, and (4) they're an AFC team - it would be possible to play his brother in the superbowl. With that, Houston doesn't need him. Had Schaub been healthy all season, they would have been strong contenders for a SB run.

The Cardinals postseason hopes were over by mid-season, so many people wrote them off - but what'd they do? They nearly ran the table the 2nd half the season - including a win against the in division 49ers. People say the Cardinals won't be a player cause they gave up a 2nd and DRC for Kevin Kolb. Well, time to look back and say "damn, we missed the bus on that one" and let him go. It's not gonna cost them anything. He's due a beefy roster bonus in a little over a week - but if they let him go - it doesn't hurt them at all. Last year Kolb's contract came with $12M in guaranteed salary. Guess what's already paid off? $12M in guaranteed salary. Time to cut ties, get Manning on an incentive laden deal - sign Wayne to a 3 year deal (as it's heavily speculated Wayne is following Manning) and go get a couple championships. Sure I'll be the one eating crow if I'm wrong - but it all makes sense.

I am not sure how I am taking what you said here out of context...I mean basically you make it sound like at every corner you were there saying the only team keeping Manning from the Cards is the Texans....do I think the Cards have a shot to sign Manning? Sure I do, I even listed them as one of the possible landing spots for him...but what I don't see is where you have been on the Texans are the only thing that could keep Manning from the Cards as you suggest in this following quote...

I've been saying this since the beginning (made a post about it) and have gotten a lot of resistance. The only thing that stands in the way of Manning to the Cardinals are #1 - the Houston Texans - depends on how strong of players they want to be (he'll have the chance to keep the Colts out of the playoff's for the next few years - continuing to stick it to Irsay), and #2 - the Cardinal's lack of a quality left tackle. Manning will now more than ever need to rely heavily on some big ole fat body protecting his blind side.

Edited by keggerz

San Francisco would be the perfect landing spot. Especially if Wayne came too. They'd be great! However, I don't see Peyton landing in the NFC with Eli.

Because-? I very seriously doubt he's eliminating half the NFL just because his brother is there. Or do you have other reasons for eliminating the NFC?

he could continue to keep his former team out of the playoff's for the rest of his career,

Yeah I'm sure that's uppermost in his mind too.

:rolleyes:

Edited by BeeR

Because-? I very seriously doubt he's eliminating half the NFL just because his brother is there. Or do you have other reasons for eliminating the NFC?

Because they would face each other more often? Because the could conceivably keep each other from Super Bowls? Because Archie and Eli didn't want to be in the AFC with Peyton when the Chargers had the first pick? Click on ESPN. I'm not the only one saying this . . .

I am not sure how I am taking what you said here out of context...I mean basically you make it sound like at every corner you were there saying the only team keeping Manning from the Cards is the Texans....do I think the Cards have a shot to sign Manning? Sure I do, I even listed them as one of the possible landing spots for him...but what I don't see is where you have been on the Texans are the only thing that could keep Manning from the Cards as you suggest in this following quote...

OMG Barnaby Jones - I'm not gonna sit here and play f'ng patty cake with you. YOU made it sound like I've been talking about Houston all along - which I haven't.

See post #7, then see post #10. Now read #20 (my response to #10). That was my original comment which you DID take out of context as what "(I made a post about it)" was referring to was a comment about Manning landing with Arizona.

And with that, I'm done talking about your research and who said what..

Edited by Shorttynaz

I've been saying this since the beginning (made a post about it) and have gotten a lot of resistance. The only thing that stands in the way of Manning to the Cardinals are #1 - the Houston Texans

I am not sure how I am taking what you said here out of context...I mean basically you make it sound like at every corner you were there saying the only team keeping Manning from the Cards is the Texans....

not how I read what he said. he was agreeing with the post before that said he'd go to the cards. that's what he said he'd been saying all along, and obviously, he has been. replace the period between his two sentences with a colon and you'd have a point.

Vegas odds on Mannings landing spot

Cardinals: 19% ($100 wins $250)

Dolphins: 16.5% ($100 wins $300)

Redskins: 13% ($100 wins $400)

Jets: 9.5% ($100 wins $600)

Chiefs: 7.5% ($100 wins $800)

Retire: 6% ($100 wins $1,000)

Seahawks: 6% ($100 wins $1,000)

Texans: 4% ($100 wins $1,500)

49ers: 3% ($100 wins $2,000)

Broncos: 3% ($100 wins $2,000)

Titans: 1.5% ($100 wins $4,000)

Team Not Listed: 11% ($100 wins $500)

Changes since opening odds . . .

$100 on retiring started off paying only $250, now paying $1,000.

$100 on Cardinals started off paying $2,500, now pays only $250.

$100 on Chiefs started off paying $5,000, now pays only $800.

http://arizona.sbnat...s-vegas-its-the

not how I read what he said. he was agreeing with the post before that said he'd go to the cards. that's what he said he'd been saying all along, and obviously, he has been. replace the period between his two sentences with a colon and you'd have a point.

Not that I'm trying to pull a "Jim Irsay" and get try to get the public opinion on my side, but thank you!

On that note - I was personally getting fed up with Jim Irsay over these past few weeks using the media to prepare the fans for the innevitable. Wasn't necessary in my opinion, and for me - it was turning me the other direction - felt like Irsay was holding Manning hostage with that huge roster bonus. Anyway, now that it's over and after watching the press conference last night - Irsay has gained some of my respect back. He didn't want to do it, but it had to be done. He cleaned house - starting over - and to me it almost felt that he just laid it out on the table and let Manning go out of respect, not because of money - although money had something to do with it. If the roster bonus was $2M instead of $28M, this never would have been an issue and Manning would still the the Colts starting QB. The Colts won't be that competetive these next few years, and the way I took it was Irsay (not only didn't want to dish out $28M) wanted to give Manning the opportunity to go play for a championship caliber team and try to get another ring or two before he leaves.

The Colts won't be that competetive these next few years, and the way I took it was Irsay (not only didn't want to dish out $28M) wanted to give Manning the opportunity to go play for a championship caliber team and try to get another ring or two before he leaves.

This is how I took it too. I wish Peyton the best of luck. I would love to see him lead another team to a Super Bowl.

That was a Great Press Conference. Players & Owners need to remember this for the future. Very Professional.

I think where he lands is a two horse race between Miami and AZ. I actually think Miami is a little closer to a top tier team. A top tier QB and a solid #2 WR would make them instant contenders.

All the others are Darkhorse teams. KC would be intriguing given they have plenty of weapons. Seattle could also be a fit but not sure Manning would go there as they do not seem to be serious title contenders. The Jets are intriguing, the Mannings would own New York but wow the headlines would get annoying for both quickly.

I would think Manning would much rather stay in the AFC in a perfect world becasue the conference is not as deep these days and his chances to play in the Super Bowl are higher. This is why I think Miami.

Edited by Ice1

This is how I took it too. I wish Peyton the best of luck. I would love to see him lead another team to a Super Bowl.

As long as it's not the Jets. I NEVER want to root against Manning, but if he were playing for Rex Ryans circus of thugs, I think I might have to...

I would think Manning would much rather stay in the AFC in a perfect world becasue the conference is not as deep these days and his chances to play in the Super Bowl are higher. This is why I think Miami.

I'm still sticking to my guns in saying he'll be a Cardinal, but I'm not as convinced these past few days - Miami seems to be a stronger player (certainly helps that Manning has a home there, and that's where Reggie Wayne's from) - but I'm still sticking to he's gonna be a Cardinal. See Emmit Smith, Edgerring James, Kurt Warner, Joey Porter - Cardinals are becomming notorious for bringing in seasoned veterans on the decline. I wouldnt even throw the thought out the window that the Cardinals won't look at Hines Ward in free agency..

I'm still sticking to my guns in saying he'll be a Cardinal, but I'm not as convinced these past few days - Miami seems to be a stronger player (certainly helps that Manning has a home there, and that's where Reggie Wayne's from) - but I'm still sticking to he's gonna be a Cardinal. See Emmit Smith, Edgerring James, Kurt Warner, Joey Porter - Cardinals are becomming notorious for bringing in seasoned veterans on the decline. I wouldnt even throw the thought out the window that the Cardinals won't look at Hines Ward in free agency..

They certainly will/should try hard to get him. Hines Ward, no way in hell that will happen. They need him like they need a sand storm in AZ. Wayne would certainly make sense but WR is not a weakness on this team and Ward is pretty much done.

Manning when/if healthy is not a player I would say is on the decline. No doubt though AZ and Washington have no issues bringing in older players.

Edited by Ice1

Manning when/if healthy is not a player I would say is on the decline.

Assuming he takes a snap in a real game, he will be 36 years of age and he will have missed an entire year. His best year will have been 8 years previous. Even assuming that his right arm sufferes no ill effects from the nerve damage and muscle atrophy.

I could grab a machete and lop off Manning's right arm, and some of you guys wouldn't admit that Manning's best days are behind him.

Assuming he takes a snap in a real game, he will be 36 years of age and he will have missed an entire year. His best year will have been 8 years previous. Even assuming that his right arm sufferes no ill effects from the nerve damage and muscle atrophy.

I could grab a machete and lop off Manning's right arm, and some of you guys wouldn't admit that Manning's best days are behind him.

:smash: I'm a Colts fan and I love Manning, but even I can see his game was in decline. He still can be very good for a couple years, but he's not gonna put up the kind of numbers he used to.

Edited by CaptainHook

San Francisco would be the perfect landing spot. Especially if Wayne came too. They'd be great! However, I don't see Peyton landing in the NFC with Eli.

SF would be a great spot but all reports out of the Bay Area are stating that (1) the 49ers have made an offer to Alex Smith (rumored to be a 3 year deal $ unknown...also rumored that Smith wants more years) and (2) the 49ers have repeatedly stated that they have no interest in Peyton...which I think is utter foolishness....but Smith and Harbaugh are perhaps closer buddies than any other head coach/qb combo in the NFL. They are pals and, in fact, just last month Smith was caddying for Harbaugh at the AT&T tourney. I just don't see them blowing that up for Peyton...although they sure should at least consider it.

Can anyone answer something for me? How would an incentive laden contract affect the salary cap of whatever team lands Manning? Like say some team pays him the veteran minimum salary as his base and then offers easily obtainable incentives...like $10M for 15TD's and $1M more for each game he starts and completes...something like that...do those incentives hit the cap immediately or in 2013? If they'd hit immediately would the team then have to cut a bunch of players or pay some sort of cap exceeding tax (like a luxury tax)? Just spit-balling here 'cause I keep hearing folks on the radio and have seen a few posts suggesting Peyton play for an incentive laden deal.

Oh and by the way...my dark horse team would be Dallas....I know, I know - it'll never happen but if it did, Dallas could trade Romo to someone like the Browns or Seattle maybe for a 1st rounder or two and draft a young qb to be the heir apparent to Peyton.....and Peyton would be paired with the likes of Austin, Bryant, Witten (that thought makes me drool a bit), Murray etc.

Thanks.

KO'd

A couple of local guys here keep speculating that Adam Schefter seems to have some sort of deep insight, and is trying everything possible to say he's going to the Dolphins without really "reporting" he's going to the Dolphins.

I'm still sticking to my pick of the Cardinals. There's also local rumors flying around that Rod Graves (Cardinals GM) has not only been in contact several times with Tom Condon since last night, but he's also working the Wayne camp as well to get a baseline of what he wants. They're very quickly trying to make something work where if Peyton comes, Wayne's coming with him. Would LOVE to see it, just don't know how they're gonna pinch all this in under the cap...??

Edited by Shorttynaz