[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning to be released

DawgTalk

I'm not sure who is giving you a lot of resistance about Manning landing in Arizona as its been the favorite media speculation since day one. I hope for your sake he ends up there though as you've probably made a few dozen posts reiterating the same thing. :lol:

While I think Arizona makes the most sense, I don't think it's the favorite option being reported out there. I've seen/heard more for Miami and Washington than Arizona I think.

I would like to see Manning play behind a bad Oline. If he can succeed, I will call him one of the best ever. If he can't, I will label him as one of the best pocket passers ever.

Um . . . the Colts offensive line in 1997 was considered their weakness. By 1999 it was one of their strengths. The only difference was Peyton Manning. And the line he played behind in 20010 was god awful. Besides Jeff Saturday, can you name another Colts offensive lineman?

It was awful. Brought tears to my eyes. It is a sad, sad day in Indianapolis.

Same here - watched it at work - almost started crying like a little b!tch!! :)

Here's a link to Manning's "goodbye".

Edited by Shorttynaz

Do you think that Wayne and Garcon sign somewhere before Manning does? They could be used to intice Manning to sign with the same place one of them goes to, maybe.

Way too early to speculate - but there's already whispers going around that Wayne is going to follow Manning wherever he goes.

While I think Arizona makes the most sense, I don't think it's the favorite option being reported out there. I've seen/heard more for Miami and Washington than Arizona I think.

Manning isn't going to the Redskins. He wants to win a championship, not get paid. Snyder has $$, but he's got no substance on that team. Redskins = not gonna happen.

And he won't be going to Miami either. Miami just wants a "superstar" player. They, just like Washington don't have much else going on other than Bush/Marshall.

If he goes anywhere, it's gonna be the (ugh - I hope not) Jets, Cardinals, or the Chiefs.. Personally I don't see him and Rex Ryan meshing - it's not a good fit. Chiefs play in a very win-able division, and they've got a decent defense, along with some weapons on offense. And then here I go again - Cardinals have the total package outside of a left tackle - they currently have Levi Brown (whom they opted for and passed on Adrian Peterson) - but I think brown is a FA.. Not sure.. He sucks anyway.. Outside of that, they have everything a QB could ask for. Best WR in the game (and he's in his prime), a decent running game (only to get better with a "real" play-action QB), a super high talented but unproven Ryan Williams, and an under the radar, young and becoming pretty damn good defense.. Add in the weather - it's also a new"er" stadium that has not only a retractible roof, but a retractible field too.

I never thought I'd see the day when Peyton would be wearing a different uniform. Boy, nothing lasts forever. :kicksrock:

I blame the fans. How could they let this happen? Unbelievable!

OK, I'm obviously fishing and no one would be dumb enough to take the bait. :fool:

Edited by electricrelish

Kolb is expected a $7million roster bonus March 17. If Manning is signed to Arizona before that, would they then trade him to Denver perhaps or just flat out release him? It would give them a vet starter to push Tebow and also a fall back option in case Tebow struggles. Regardless, it will be interesting to see if Arizona can get Manning before March 17th. Thats the date I'm looking at.

Edited by tazinib1

I'd be surprised if any team can make a decision on Mannings ability to play before then. I suppose they could take the risk, but they better have a fall back position if he cannot play (or play well enough).

I'm 100% sure any team that is going to bring on Peyton will have him go through extensive physicals...let alone extensive tryouts before they make a decision.

well, I have to say, I officially hope the broncos do their best to get in on this, because I actually think it would be a great fit. manning is the one guy they could potentially bring in that would quelch tebowmania with the fan base. tebow would be a little bummed, as it would put his career on hold, but he would be that much better in 2 or 3 years or whenever the torch needed to be passed (and of course, that could be any time). it would be an interesting relationship to be sure, but it's not too hard to see it being potentially positive and fruitful for all involved.

look beyond tebow to the rest of the team....good young O-line with some stud tackles. DT would be a nice target, and decker and royal and the broncos are a team with enough cap space they could bring wayne along too. defense made some strides last year, and while they still need some pieces they are potentially a very strong unit. if this team gets to the divisional round with tim tebow as a first year starter, I think they could make some real noise with manning.

• Like 1

its tough for a fan base when a legend leaves the team no matter what the circumstances. I remember when Staubach retired I was crushed. I think he is one of the greatest to ever play the game and it will be exciting to see where he ends up.

well, I have to say, I officially hope the broncos do their best to get in on this, because I actually think it would be a great fit. manning is the one guy they could potentially bring in that would quelch tebowmania with the fan base. tebow would be a little bummed, as it would put his career on hold, but he would be that much better in 2 or 3 years or whenever the torch needed to be passed (and of course, that could be any time). it would be an interesting relationship to be sure, but it's not too hard to see it being potentially positive and fruitful for all involved.

look beyond tebow to the rest of the team....good young O-line with some stud tackles. DT would be a nice target, and decker and royal and the broncos are a team with enough cap space they could bring wayne along too. defense made some strides last year, and while they still need some pieces they are potentially a very strong unit. if this team gets to the divisional round with tim tebow as a first year starter, I think they could make some real noise with manning.

i think den could be a very nice fit if weather is not a factor in his decision.

Before anything gets crazy and people start reading into the "Manning has just landed in Miami" threads; that is in fact true, however, Manning has his off season vacation home in Miami. Im sure he will have talks there, but I would aim in at about 99% and say he is there for some R&R.

I have never been as emotional about a player as I was today. Not Reggie Miller, not Marshall Faulk, not when Alan Henderson broke his leg and killed the Hoosiers national championship hopes. But this hurt. I actually shed tears today. Love ya Peyton! You've been a part of my life for 14 years. So sad.

Before anything gets crazy and people start reading into the "Manning has just landed in Miami" threads; that is in fact true, however, Manning has his off season vacation home in Miami. Im sure he will have talks there, but I would aim in at about 99% and say he is there for some R&R.

I don't know if anyone on this site or that reads these forums would read into "Manning has just landed in Miami" at this time. I think the guys and girls on this site are fairly knowledgable and would understand he's just going home to rest and rehab.

What's this about Peyton's plane in Hattiesburg? :unsure:

Cards don't have much cap room. Would take a $6 million hit on Kolb release. Would clear $14 million by dumping Levi Brown though. At least according to local sports radio.

You're wrong. He has a $7M roster bonus due on the 17th. Of that contract he signed last year with the Cardinals, only $12M of it was guaranteed. That has already been paid. There would actually be NO ramifications if they released him before the roster bonus is due..

Levi Brown is one of the worst tackles in the game. That seems like a no-brainer to me!

Edited by Shorttynaz

I've been saying this since the beginning (made a post about it) and have gotten a lot of resistance. The only thing that stands in the way of Manning to the Cardinals are #1 - the Houston Texans - depends on how strong of players they want to be (he'll have the chance to keep the Colts out of the playoff's for the next few years - continuing to stick it to Irsay), and #2 - the Cardinal's lack of a quality left tackle. Manning will now more than ever need to rely heavily on some big ole fat body protecting his blind side.

What is the beginning and can link to where you make those statements about the Texans?

Cause all I could find were these:

This was the 1st post I could find from you on what team he would go to (could be others, maybe I missed them)...but NO mention of the Texans.

So yeah - just speculation at this point and a LOT has to happen. But during the NFC Championship halftime show, out here in AZ they flipped to a FOX10 sports "update". One of the local sportscasters claims that "per Adam Schefter" should the Colts release Manning and he passes a physical the Cardinals would be the top landing spot for Peyton Manning's services, not the Jets - even with paying Kevin Kolb all that money this past offseason.

Sure, it's all speculation and the Colts would have to release Manning. I am definitely a Colts homer - but I don't see Manning playing for anyone else. He's said a million times over he wants to finish his career in Indy. Jim Irsay (PR move) keeps saying Manning isn't going anywhere and he'll not only pay the $28M roster bonus due in March - but ALL signs point to them drafting Luck as well..

Another post, but nothing about the Texans

Should the Colts release Manning, he can go wherever he wants. Washington needs more than just a QB. There's too many holes there. I see Manning going somewhere where they've got a solid team missing that one piece - like Arizona, Jets, Baltimore, hell - even Seattle..

No Texans, just Cards talk

With Manning, the Colts were in the playoff's year after year. Without Manning, the Colts were the worst team in the league - a hell of a lot worse than the Cardinals.

One piece away from a championship? Yeah! Cardinals defense really came together the 2nd half of the season - and in my book they're a top 10 defense. They have arguably the best WR in the league. Remove Skelton and insert Manning - yeah - they'd be a threat to go the distance.

Hmmm SF gets added to the mix, but not the Texans.

Yeah - let me add San Fransisco to that list too.

Continued in next post...to many quotes....

Edited by keggerz

Continued from previous post due to number of quotes...

Oh look, a Texans sighting, and as far as I can tell, the first time you put Manning and the Texans together

And I DEFINITELY would not call DRC a stud cornerback at this point. He has potential, but definitely "stud" status..

And Seahawks, I know you're a fan - but NO WAY are they the one team out there that's truly 1 player away.. Teams I would put ahead of them (in no particular)..

Jets

Ravens

Cardinals

Texans

49ers

Vikings

Chiefs

Nothing about the Texans here

Been a couple of weeks and this story seems like it's picking up some speed. Manning is all but out of Indy. He met with Larry Fitzgerald this past weekend just to "talk". The Colts may owe Manning a huge roster bonus, but the Cardinals owe Kevin Kolb a nice dime in a few weeks as well. If they're in the Manning sweepstakes, rumor (again local radio) has it that the Cardinals are more than willing to cut ties with Kolb and bring in Manning, who has come out and said that he will play for next to nothing when it comes to "guaranteed" money - he's content structuring a contract loaded with performance bonuses and such.

If he plays anywhere in 2012, he's gonna be playing in the desert throwing pickles to Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Roberts with a young and healthy Ryan Williams blocking for him in the backfield.

Don't be shocked folks when he signs in the desert.

What I WISH he would do is let the Colts release him and then turn around and sign a performance based contract with Indy!

Just more Cardinals love, no Texans

Just to continue to add to this - the Cardinals recently brought in Frank Reich to be their WR coach. Where did Reich coach the last three years? The Colts. What did he do two of the three years? He was Payton Manning's position coach. Buy into it what you will, I'm convinced if Manning plays anywhere in 2012, it's gonna be for the redbirds in the desert!

"Reich's hiring will fuel speculation the Cardinals are interested in Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, who is expected to be released in the next month. Reich was the Colts quarterbacks coach in 2009-10 and coached receivers last season."

LINK

Same old, same old, but no Texans

Uh, what about none other than the Arizona Cardinals signing Kurt Warner to back up Matt Leinart - paying him merely $2M to come here. How'd that turn out? Oh yeah - he reserected the Cardinals..

And if my profession was to throw a ball - and I didn't do that or use those muscles for 6+ months, I don't think after all that time off I could just pick up a ball and start throwing as hard and as accurate just as I did before all that time off.

I'm not saying Manning is a lock to play in 2012, personally I want the guy to retire. As a Colts homer I never in a million years would have thought we'd be talking about Peyton Manning playing for a team outside of the Colts. All I'm saying is if he is healthy and can play - he'll be wearing the red Cardinal's jersey. While I don't have an "inside" source, the local guys have a lot of contacts - and it's being reported almost daily on the radio, paper, and local TV news that the Cardinals front office would in fact cut Kolb and take a chance on Manning..

Keep moving

I never said anything about a championship. All I said is it was a successful move. He brought the Cardinals out of the cellar.

YOU said "Obtaining a historically prolific QB well past their prime has not been a recipe for success in the NFL". I was just proving you wrong. You've just been served. Good day to you, sir!

Continued in next post due to number of quotes....

Edited by keggerz

Continued from previous post due to number of quotes...

No Texans here, unless you are making a tie in with Favre and his wrangler jeans

You want something from Bronco Billy's platter too?

Favre went to the Vikings in 2009. That season he had the highest QB passer rating of his career, 107.5. The only season of his career where his passer rating was over 100. He completed 363 passes which was the 2nd highest for any season of his career. He averaged 263 yards a game - the 3rd highest for any season in his career. He threw 33 touchdowns to only 7 interceptions. That season the Vikings took the NFC Championship game to overtime - fell one play away from reaching the superbowl. Not bad for a QB in his NINETEENTH (yes 19th) year in the league..

You too, have just been served. Now go take a seat next to Bronco Billy and shut your mouth..

Was there any fine print on those boards about the Texans?

There were I think 6 of these billboards put up this morning by a local mattress company here in Phoenix. Some analysts think if he's playing this year he'll be a Cardinal. I'm still a strong believer if he plays (and he's not a Colt) he'll be playing out here in the desert. Anyway - here's a pic of one of the 6 billboards put up today. :)

http://peyton2az.com...hoto-copy-4.jpg

The reason I question you is because as far as I can remember, when I threw the Texans as one of the teams I thought Manning could end up with, actually calling them my dark horse, I had not yet heard anyone, not just here at the huddle, but the media too, say anything about Manning to the Texans...not saying they didn't but I hadn't seen or heard it....so when I read that you are saying that you have "been saying this since the beginning (made a post about it) and have gotten a lot of resistance. The only thing that stands in the way of Manning to the Cardinals are #1 - the Houston Texans" I have to say, if I missed it please show it to me, because I, one can't find anything like that, and two, don't remember anything like that.

:shades:

Edited by keggerz

How did I miss this response...an entire 2 hours after you espoused about how the Texans are what stands between the Cards and Manning you post this and there is no mention of the Texans :shrug:

Manning isn't going to the Redskins. He wants to win a championship, not get paid. Snyder has $$, but he's got no substance on that team. Redskins = not gonna happen.

And he won't be going to Miami either. Miami just wants a "superstar" player. They, just like Washington don't have much else going on other than Bush/Marshall.

If he goes anywhere, it's gonna be the (ugh - I hope not) Jets, Cardinals, or the Chiefs.. Personally I don't see him and Rex Ryan meshing - it's not a good fit. Chiefs play in a very win-able division, and they've got a decent defense, along with some weapons on offense. And then here I go again - Cardinals have the total package outside of a left tackle - they currently have Levi Brown (whom they opted for and passed on Adrian Peterson) - but I think brown is a FA.. Not sure.. He sucks anyway.. Outside of that, they have everything a QB could ask for. Best WR in the game (and he's in his prime), a decent running game (only to get better with a "real" play-action QB), a super high talented but unproven Ryan Williams, and an under the radar, young and becoming pretty damn good defense.. Add in the weather - it's also a new"er" stadium that has not only a retractible roof, but a retractible field too.

Edited by keggerz