[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wife wants a hybrid

chester

Leaning towards a Camry.

Pros/cons of hybrids in general? (neither of us has ever driven one)

Camry specifically?

What to ask for/expect/watch out for at the dealership?

I saw a Volkswagen diesel that was listed at 50 mpg, so there's another option for high gas mileage.

Diesel is not gas, and it costs more for a gallon of Diesel so be aware of that.

Accoridng to reports the Camry hybrid does have one of the better paybacks of hybrids, so yer on the right track there.

That being said, if you drive a lot, and need the car to last for over 100K miles, you might not want a hybrid as it is my understanding that the batteries are pretty much shot at that point and need to be replaced.

I saw a Volkswagen diesel that was listed at 50 mpg, so there's another option for high gas mileage.

My wife is on her 2nd Jetta TDI (first one was totalled when she got slammed into by a dump truck). She loves it, primarily because it drives so well. When we bought her first one (an 06), we test drove the Prius and it seemed like there were small rodents on a wheel propelling it. You'd push the gas and there'd be this slow, sluggish uptake. Her Jetta, on the other hand, practically drives like a sportscar.

Yes, Diesel costs more, but it still ends up working out that, cost wise, she's getting the equivalent of 40 MPG when you factor that in.

My wife is on her 2nd Jetta TDI (first one was totalled when she got slammed into by a dump truck). She loves it, primarily because it drives so well. When we bought her first one (an 06), we test drove the Prius and it seemed like there were small rodents on a wheel propelling it. You'd push the gas and there'd be this slow, sluggish uptake. Her Jetta, on the other hand, practically drives like a sportscar.

Yes, Diesel costs more, but it still ends up working out that, cost wise, she's getting the equivalent of 40 MPG when you factor that in.

The bride bought an 09 Prius and it runs like a scared rabbitt. Maybe they upgraded something? It's getting 50+ mph average for the almost two years she has been driving it. That said, because we live on a gravel road, the wife wants to move up to a Camry hybrid for a more comfortable ride.

If they made a hybrid truck I'd be interested.

Also keep in mind that there are multiple kinds of hybrid vehicles. While most (like the Prius) have both electric and gas motors that provide drive to the vehicles, others like the Chevy Volt use a gas motor to provide electricity and extend the range. These are IMHO a better design as you only have one vehicle drive train involved. Its more an electric car with a built in generator than a gas car with an electric assist motor to boost mileage. It can be all electric, but doesn't have the range restrictios of an all electric.

The link below may contain some more useful info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_electric_vehicle

I remember when a dealer in my small town had a diesel VW Rabbit and it stayed on their lot for a few years.

Diesel had a deservedly poor reputation, but recent tech is reportedly just as good as gas. As det pointed out above.

The bride bought an 09 Prius and it runs like a scared rabbitt. Maybe they upgraded something? It's getting 50+ mph average for the almost two years she has been driving it. That said, because we live on a gravel road, the wife wants to move up to a Camry hybrid for a more comfortable ride.

If they made a hybrid truck I'd be interested.

Glad to hear it. They must have done something.