[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The RG3 trade today, plus Claiborne and Jeffreys trades

aggiebones

I was just rehashing the blockbuster trade for RG3 and felt it was time to get the next wave of discussion on if I would do it.

In the end the Rams gave up:

RG3

for (after future trade of the 2012-6th overall)

JJenkins - starting corner (INT last week) - 2nd rounder (39 overall)

MBrockers - starter due back soon from high ankle injury - 1st rounder (14 overall)

I.Pead - Backup RB, possible 2nd string soon - 2nd rounder (50th overall)

R. Watkins - starting LG - 5th rounder (150 overall)

2013 1st rounder

2014 1st rounder

That's alot of stuff for 1 guy who did start out well. You can imagine they will do something with the 2013 and 2014 first rounders as well. The Rams could end up with 5-8 starters from this, depending on future trades. Not to mention they have their own picks as well. This could be a magnificent boom for the Rams still.

Would you still make that trade? Would you still not make that trade?

Here's why I still would:

1) I believe Sam Bradford is still ripening on the vine. It may yet rot and fall to the ground to be eaten by worms, but I think with the investment they made, they had to test him a year or two longer. But what if he fails further and totally collapses THIS year or Next. He has 3 more years on his contract AFTER this year. Cap wise, they have to keep him a bit longer. Such is life before the new Draft cap for rookies. In the meantime, they can load up their roster.

2) They have their 1st rounder and the Skins' 1st rounder in 2013. These will both likely be top 15 picks. The Rams will be around 6-10 and the Skins around 8-14. I seriously doubt either team makes a legit run. RG3 will have some bumps this year. 8-8 would be great. With a better roster Cam Newton was 6-10... The league will learn RG3 and he will have to adjust...over the next 3 years.

So with 2 pretty good 1st rounders, they can further add to the solid rookie crop they just brought in. They can move up or down or just add 2 more starters. If RG3 gets hurt, that pick could be gold!

3) 2014. Again, 2 more 1st rounders with all kinds of possibilities, up down, whatever. In theory if Bradford progresses, their pick is lower. Same with RG3. But most likely 2 picks in the 15-25 range at least. And again, if either gets hurt, that pick could shift up. In 2014, if Bradford can't take advantage of the improved team around him, THEY could move up to take a short at the 2014 2nd best QB. Likely not able to get to the 1st overall. But whoever that pick is would have an improved roster to work with than Bradford ever has.

RG3 is not the world's best player ever. He looks to have some game and if he progresses, could become a playoff caliber QB. But have the Skins again robbed their roster of depth and skill at other positions.

Now would you trade Alshon Jeffreys(their pick before trading for IPead and RWatkins)?

Eh, I guess since they got Quick earlier and Watkins is starting. Seems positive assuming Pead gives them something at some point.

What about Claiborne(original 2012 1st rounder pick from RG3 trade) for Brockers, Pead and Watkins? I guess they can upgrade corner with one of their 4 picks in 2013/2014.

That's what makes football so interesting and fun to follow. Who wants to gamble for one player? Who thinks one players is worth all those picks. Rams thought they could do more with 6 players vs. one. This trade I think was good for both teams. Gave Washington a future qb to work on, and the Rams were able to work on some holes to fill in their depth chart.

Regardless of how well RBIII turns out - even if he brings a super bowl win in the next 3 years all by himself - no player is worth what the skins gave up. There is no mid to long term benefit for the skins with this and the Rams have ample options/choices over the next 3 years to build not only for the short but mid and long term - thanks to the skins and their 'brilliant' tactic to give up everything and basically following a stupid formula known as the 'ricky williams mike ditka'

Would the Rams be more exciting with RGIII paired with Steven Jackson or a 1st-round 2014 pick paired with Steven Jackson? I think they will regret it, RGIII looks legit -- and at the absolute worst he will still bring buzz, attention, and some notoriety to your team.

The real question is this:

Should the Colts have kept Peyton Manning and taken the bounty offered by the Redskins for the number one pick?

For me the Colts couldn't have. They would look straight up silly if they passed on a franchise QB that just fell into their hands while their old franchise QB is injured and old and has a contract that expired.

- no player is worth what the skins gave up.

I disagree.

A genuine elite QB is worth it. If Griffen is one, then, barring injury, the Redskins are set at the most important position in the game for a decade or more.

The Rams are going to flounder with Bradford at QB no matter how good the picks from the Redskins turn out. The analysis may turn on how good of a QB the Rams draft in 2013 or 2014.

Did somebody really say that even if RG3 gets a Super Bowl that it wasn't worth it? If RG3 even plays in a Super Bowl, it was probably worth it, as the Skins were years and years away otherwise. As a Seahawks fan, I am insanely happy that the Rams don't have RG3.

The Browns will be kicking themselves for a decade for not being able to pull off this trade

Could you imagine the Browns having both RGIII and Julio Jones? They obviously wouldn't have TRich but wouldn't have to.

• 4 weeks later...

After watching RGIII get knocked out of game makes me believe my suspicions about this new super hero is correct.

This could end up another calamity for the Skins.

RG3 brought some hype, but the Skins never needed that. With the two DEs out for the year and RG3 about to hit the learning curve...I think that pick they gave to the Rams in 2013 might end up a top 4-8 pick.

They will get 2 VERY good BPA picks in this draft. They are going to be loaded.

I don't think we can objectively appraise Bradford until they get him some weapons at WR and improve their OL to marginal respectability. He has less than a second from snap to contact most of the time and no go-to guy at WR.

is this comparable to the Rivers/Eli trade? a lil less of course but SD got 3 or so good assests from that trade but in the end Giants have 2 SB with Eli leading them while SD hasn't even been to 1 SB with Rivers.

Edited by LbNiners

is this comparable to the Rivers/Eli trade? a lil less of course but SD got 3 or so good assests from that trade but in the end Giants have 2 SB with Eli leading them while SD hasn't even been to 1 SB with Rivers.

Chargers were plagued by the disease known as "Norv Turner" while the Giants have no aforementioned disease. Giants did a much better job of building their team up besides Eli while Charges just banked on Rivers to bail them out. Example: Giants defense > SD defense any day of the week, and look at the weapons that surround them, it favors Giants.

It will always be fun to look at this stuff, but remember that in the real world, the Rams couldn't have taken RGIII. After an injury-marred dismal season last season, and carrying the burden of one of the last lottery-style #1 pick salaries, Bradford was untradeable. All that being said, what if RGIII turns into Cam Newton next year? You won't really be able to assess this situation for a couple years still. Pead appears to be a huge bust so far, but there are some nice players in the rest of this year's draft class. Interesting stuff.

I disagree.

A genuine elite QB is worth it. If Griffen is one, then, barring injury, the Redskins are set at the most important position in the game for a decade or more.

The Rams are going to flounder with Bradford at QB no matter how good the picks from the Redskins turn out. The analysis may turn on how good of a QB the Rams draft in 2013 or 2014.

I agree with Furd here. Looking at what WAS gave up, and then seeing that they have what appears to be the nucleus of their O to build around for the next decade and a half makes the trade well worth the risk. The caveat being, of course, that if you're going to pull off that kind of trade you'd better be almost 100% certain that the QB you are acquiring will be your franchise guy and a top 10 NFL QB. Looks like WAS may have pulled it off.

WAS also hedged their bet by drafting Cousins later in the draft, which was awfully smart and could potentially put them into a Rivers/Brees situation a few years down the road.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I would like to be able to give my young franchise quarterback tools to play with. Maybe a W.R., a left tackle, a top line R.B., or a defensive star to get him the ball back. Washington is not going to be in a position to do much of that until 2015. Now by then Peyton Manning will be gone and Tom Brady also, if not just greatly diminished. Brees should be slowing down as will be the case for Romo, Rivers, Eli, and Vick. Schaub, and Rodgers will stil be going well but the end will be on the horizon. Will there be a window there about the time he is seasoned and can start getting an infusion of talent, probably.

It will be interesting during RGIII's window to see how talented St. Louis has become with their stockpile of draft choices.