[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chiefs Player Commits Suicide

heehawks

Oh man, what a horrible situation. Obviously terrible for the little girl and family involved. Not sure how the team can get their minds together for the game, it's not like they can go out and play hard for their deceased team mate.

Because it's their job. Favre did it when his dad died. Torrey Smith did it when his brother died.

Context here is completely different!! These guys had a teammate who they lined up with day in and day out and he not only killed someone else, he came to the facility and put a bullet through his head in front of two people from the team. It's one thing for someone to die from health related issues or an accident, but murder and suicide is completely different.

I'm guessing the game will still go on, but to say go out there and do it because it's your job is a little in-humane.

Edited by Big Dogs

Because it's their job. Favre did it when his dad died. Torrey Smith did it when his brother died.

Undstood, but Favre's dad and Smith's brother didn't murder someone then kill themselves in front of team personnel at the team's practice facility. This is group mourning, not one individual. Little different, right?

Undstood, but Favre's dad and Smith's brother didn't murder someone then kill themselves in front of team personnel at the team's practice facility. This is group mourning, not one individual. Little different, right?

Is it? I'd probably be more distraught if a family member died than a coworker. But that's just me.

The NFL really loves money. They aren't going to cancel this game.

Is it? I'd probably be more distraught if a family member died than a coworker. But that's just me.

The NFL really loves money. They aren't going to cancel this game.

Wow. Harsh.

Do they move it to Monday. Carolina has been told to fly to KC for the game per NFL.com.

http://www.nfl.com/n...-to-kansas-city

However, due to the NFL TV contract, this game may not be able to be moved and therefore will be played tomorrow.

The right thing to do is move it to Monday or Tuesday. An extra day or two for mourning certainly may help. But we all know what's more important to the NFL. If the TV money isn't there then they play tomorrow.

Jack Harry just said that the game will be played as scheduled. Callous bastards.

Not to be callous myself, but is it really fair to make the tens of thousands involved including the fans have to rearrange their schedules a day before the game because this guy went on a murderous rampage?

I have the utmost sympathy for what this guy had to be going through to do the unthinkable (and even moreso for family and teammates), but I don't think he should be martyred either for killing someone and then bringing the violence to his locker room and taking the easy way out.

(ETA: see post below before you go off on me. Perhaps being insensitive here)

Edited by delusions of grandeur

there's gotta be a way to delay the game a couple of days...if anything to allow Romeo a little more time after the suicide he witnessed:( what a terrible thing to see, I bet he wont even be able to sleep tonite, his mind racing. I certainly wouldnt be able to coach a game a mere 1 day after witnessing this.

Yep. Crennel should get the night off. Not sure how you can coach after witnessing that.

That's it. The guy had problems and right now it should probably be less about him than RAC, the family and his friends/players that have heavy hearts right now. Come on it's two crappy teams playing an irrelevant game. Postpone it.

Really? If my coworker kills himself, I'm going to have a hard time at work for a while. A young guy killing himself is pretty damn sad.

There is no easy answer here and there is no way to avoid the fact that it is going to be a problem and very sad and something that is really hard to deal with. I am not sure a day or two will make an appreciable difference to the players anyway. Whether it is played tomorrow or in a few days, it is going to be just as tough on those who had him as a friend and team mate. It is a horrific event to an already down season for the Chiefs. I cannot imagine Pioli or Crennel showing up for work for a few days since they actually saw it but we'll see what they do.

Here is a question - do you have a moment of silence for him when he murdered the mother of his child? As horrible as it is to have a team mate kill himself in front of some of the coaches, he did it because he had just killed an innocent person. I'm not sure but how does the circumstances affect this? If he had been killed in some freak accident there at the Chiefs facilities, would it be differently handled than this murder/suicide.

Hard to wrap the head around something like this that has never happened before to my knowledge. It doesn't bother me so much that they would hold the game anyway given the logistics and the fact that 100,000 people already plan to attend and all that entails. If Belcher had killed a team mate, then would that be different? He just killed himself and it was after he murdered someone. I don't know. Just hard to see exactly what is right to do in this case. I'd play the game and not just because of a TV contract. It's going to suck for KC no matter than they do unfortunately.

Here is a question - do you have a moment of silence for him when he murdered the mother of his child?

Man I hope not. The coward murdered the mother of his child and left his 3 month old child an orphan. I could see them offering a moment of silence and prayers for the mother, but not this guy.

There is no easy answer here and there is no way to avoid the fact that it is going to be a problem and very sad and something that is really hard to deal with. I am not sure a day or two will make an appreciable difference to the players anyway. Whether it is played tomorrow or in a few days, it is going to be just as tough on those who had him as a friend and team mate. It is a horrific event to an already down season for the Chiefs. I cannot imagine Pioli or Crennel showing up for work for a few days since they actually saw it but we'll see what they do.

Here is a question - do you have a moment of silence for him when he murdered the mother of his child? As horrible as it is to have a team mate kill himself in front of some of the coaches, he did it because he had just killed an innocent person. I'm not sure but how does the circumstances affect this? If he had been killed in some freak accident there at the Chiefs facilities, would it be differently handled than this murder/suicide.

Hard to wrap the head around something like this that has never happened before to my knowledge. It doesn't bother me so much that they would hold the game anyway given the logistics and the fact that 100,000 people already plan to attend and all that entails. If Belcher had killed a team mate, then would that be different? He just killed himself and it was after he murdered someone. I don't know. Just hard to see exactly what is right to do in this case. I'd play the game and not just because of a TV contract. It's going to suck for KC no matter than they do unfortunately.

I was thinking about that too, and I think the thing to do would be to have a moment of silence in honor of the mother of his child. Don't even mention his name.