[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Donnie Avery?

Endzone Is Near

Think outside the box a little.... or maybe put on rose-colored optimist glasses...

Sometimes a new QB comes into an offense and develops a rapport with a WR that may not be the team's "best" receiver. Sometimes it's a TE, sometimes it's an inferior WR.

Rapport develops in practice, preseason, heck... the locker room. :unsure:

There's a thread on Dwayne Bowe being worthless. Could it be that Alex Smith has developed a rapport with Avery? Bowe got targeted 6 and 8 times in Weeks 1 and 2. Doesn't seem like a whole lot of targets for a #1 WR. He got targeted 4 times last night.... against a porous defense.

Avery was targeted 5 and 4 times the first two weeks and then collected 7 catches on 7 targets last night. Maybe something finally just clicked with Smith and Avery.

Let's also not forget Avery had serviceable 2008 and 2009 campaigns before having a semi-breakout in 2012 with 60 catches for 781 yards last year. He barely played in Week 17, so extrapolating 15 games and 124 targets, he averaged 8 targets/game in 2012. Not bad.

• Like 1

Think outside the box a little.... or maybe put on rose-colored optimist glasses...

Sometimes a new QB comes into an offense and develops a rapport with a WR that may not be the team's "best" receiver. Sometimes it's a TE, sometimes it's an inferior WR.

Rapport develops in practice, preseason, heck... the locker room. :unsure:

There's a thread on Dwayne Bowe being worthless. Could it be that Alex Smith has developed a rapport with Avery? Bowe got targeted 6 and 8 times in Weeks 1 and 2. Doesn't seem like a whole lot of targets for a #1 WR. He got targeted 4 times last night.... against a porous defense.

Avery was targeted 5 and 4 times the first two weeks and then collected 7 catches on 7 targets last night. Maybe something finally just clicked with Smith and Avery.

Let's also not forget Avery had serviceable 2008 and 2009 campaigns before having a semi-breakout in 2012 with 60 catches for 781 yards last year. He barely played in Week 17, so extrapolating 15 games and 124 targets, he averaged 8 targets/game in 2012. Not bad.

Nice post - good logic behind it.

He is one of those players that you grab if you are in a league with a large roster , so instead of holding 2 PK & 2 Def you grab someone like Avery , but if you are in a league where you can only roster 20 max then no way you grab someone like Avery.

The league he is available in for me we only roster 20

I agree with what Darrin is saying. And truth be told, while watching the Chiefs pre-season games, with Smith guiding the offense, Avery looked like a guy that could be a viable fantasy play this year. When the defense made him the most attractive option to Smith, we saw that come to fruition.

I also agree with Captain Hook, that Avery is maddeningly inconsistent. He has a horrible catch rate for his career, one of the worst for active players with any kind of experience if I remember correctly.

That being said, he seems to have his QBs confidence, and I haven't really seen him mishandle too many ball,s or out of position a lot so far yet this season. Maybe he is improving. It can happen.

I also agree with the sentiment that he will likely have a few games like this, where the defense dictates, but trying to predict those games will be tricky at best.

So basically I suppose what I am sayin is, you guys have chopped up the situation pretty well. For what its worth, I'm not grabbing him on waivers, even on a 20 man roster. I just see other "project" players I would rather assign to those bench positions rather than a guy I will likely never trust enough to start.

The thing is though, if Bowe gets shut down, like he did against the Eagles, Charles is the only playmaker of substance. The ball has to go somewhere. He is an option, and maybe an underrated one. But not one I can get excited about.

I mean Charles and Bowe are the only playmakers. If Bowe is shut down the ball has to go somewhere.

C'mon...my local is deep, but others are there to be had as well. Is Avant better than Avery? Is Douglas better than Avery while White's ankle gets better? Dobson's updside in the NE offense?

I think D3 is over thinking it, ISMHO.

The key here is Alex Smith and his fear to go downfield and make mistakes. If you have to grab Avery and start him, good luck missing the playoffs this year.

C'mon...my local is deep, but others are there to be had as well. Is Avant better than Avery? Is Douglas better than Avery while White's ankle gets better? Dobson's updside in the NE offense?

I think D3 is over thinking it, ISMHO.

The key here is Alex Smith and his fear to go downfield and make mistakes. If you have to grab Avery and start him, good luck missing the playoffs this year.

good to see you around talking football, and I agree. One of the mouths that never stop said during the game that Smith won't throw it into coverage. Looked to me that he wouldn't throw it when a DB was within 5 yds of a receiver. I want no part of that passing game..

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

No offense seriously, but not sure why you can't get excited about Jamal Charles..

:doh:

Avery didn't get picked on waivers in my FFPC tonight - nobody biting. I grabbed Keenan Allen. I figure the unknown is better than the known in this case.