[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Iron Mike

rocknrobn26

Bill Swerski: Now, gentlemen, let me ask you this: What if Da Bears were all 14 inches tall, you know, about so high? Now, what's your score of today's game?

Carl Wollarski: Against Da Giants?

Bill Swerski: Yes, give 'em a handicap.

Carl Wollarski: Bears 18, Giants 10. And that would finally be a good game.

Pat Arnold: Yeah, it would be a good game. Mini Bears 24, Giants 14.

Todd O'Conner: What about Ditka? Would he be mini, too?

Bill Swerski: No, he would be full-grown.

Todd O'Conner: Oh, then, uh.. Mini Bears 31, Giants 7.

Carl Wollarski: Oh, hold on. Then I change mine, too. I thought it was Mini Ditka.

• Like 2

I'll accept your example as proof for that part of his life.

As for robbing Walter, that mistake was rectified many years ago. If all the HoF'ers were judged by one mistake, there wouldn't be a HoF. And if you don't think his coaching was a major part of the '85 Bears, then you know nothing about the Bears prior to 1982 or the clientele they had. Not to mention twice being coach of the year.

As for robbing Walter, that mistake was rectified many years ago. If all the HoF'ers were judged by one mistake, there wouldn't be a HoF. And if you don't think his coaching was a major part of the '85 Bears, then you know nothing about the Bears prior to 1982 or the clientele they had. Not to mention twice being coach of the year.

I'm curious how exactly that Payton thing was rectified. I understand that Ditka felt bad about, apologized to Payton etc. But how does one rectify something like that?

Still a great coach, was a great TE that defined the position. 1000 yards in his rookie year, in 14 games, that would be impressive today, let alone back then when TE was just another blocker.

During the ceremony I was expecting him to say something like "Its too damn cold, and I'm getting too emotional, thank you all it was great, you are the best. GO Bears (I'm going back inside where its warm)"

I'm curious how exactly that Payton thing was rectified. I understand that Ditka felt bad about, apologized to Payton etc. But how does one rectify something like that?

Still a great coach, was a great TE that defined the position. 1000 yards in his rookie year, in 14 games, that would be impressive today, let alone back then when TE was just another blocker.

During the ceremony I was expecting him to say something like "Its too damn cold, and I'm getting too emotional, thank you all it was great, you are the best. GO Bears (I'm going back inside where its warm)"

He sure didn't look like he wanted to be out there when the cameras first hit him

Agree. The 85 bears were uber talented. Coaching wasnt what won that SB.

There are plenty of 85 Bears who will tell you he was a great coach and leader and he was crucial to pulling them all together. Of course a lot of those exact same players will blame him as well for not winning multiple Super Bowls. He deserves some of that blame, but a lot of it falls on the players IMO. The egos in that room all got way too big.

You couldn't be more correct, sir! That franchise was woeful before he got there (even with Walter) and they were woeful after he left. He was the force that showed them how to win, and dominate.

There are plenty of 85 Bears who will tell you he was a great coach and leader and he was crucial to pulling them all together. Of course a lot of those exact same players will blame him as well for not winning multiple Super Bowls. He deserves some of that blame, but a lot of it falls on the players IMO. The egos in that room all got way too big.

I think the egos in that room were ALREADY big - one things players like Mongo, Hampton, and McMahon always possessed was a very healthy self-regard.

Ditka wasn't an Xs and Os genius, but I can see that whole mid-80s Bears squad imploding easily if he hadn't been there to wrassle them into something resembling a team.

I think his problems in NO were the problems many successful head coaches run into - he had a terrible GM - himself - and he was more of a leader/motivator than an Xs and Os guy; the problem being that even a motivated Danny Wuerffel and Troy Davis just aren't that good.

This is from a guy who hates the Bears, BTW.

• Like 1

I think his problems in NO were the problems many successful head coaches run into - he had a terrible GM - himself - and he was more of a leader/motivator than an Xs and Os guy; the problem being that even a motivated Danny Wuerffel and Troy Davis just aren't that good.

I don't know, Bill Kuharich is a very respected player personnel guy, but Ditka had all the say in managing the team.

I think the egos in that room were ALREADY big - one things players like Mongo, Hampton, and McMahon always possessed was a very healthy self-regard.

Ditka wasn't an Xs and Os genius, but I can see that whole mid-80s Bears squad imploding easily if he hadn't been there to wrassle them into something resembling a team.

This is from a guy who hates the Bears, BTW.

I couldn't agree more. The egos were all ready big, especially on the defensive side of the ball and the QB on the offensive side. Those egos continued to grow throughout that season and went into overdrive in the offseason.

No doubt Ditka was not a X's and O's kind of coach. He led teams like how he played, with passion. But that style of coaching runs its course with players, especially when you don't win.

Edited by sausagekingchi